Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2015, 12:30 AM   #1

Default Add a shower to a Roadtrek that doesn't have one

The 1995 Roadtrek I am buying doesn't have a shower.

I would like to add one using as much of the stock shower components as possible.

The main parts I foresee needing are the shower curtain rail and hardware as well as some form of shower curtain, drain connection to the grey tank and some hose/pipe and T fittings to add a connection for the new floor drain and an additional faucet/shower head/hose in the toilet cabinet.

If anyone else has done this, I would sure appreciate the benefit of your experience.
Vapor Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #2

Hello VC,

I'm also planning to adding a shower to my RT. How did your turn out?????

Thanks for any details,
Ken

1990 Versatile 190
Sails941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:47 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Tricky work indeed. Plumbing nightmares! I urge you to consider if you really want a shower in your van. I have never used the one I have. If you take a survey, I will bet lots of classic "B" owners don't use theirs either. The few that shower in their vans find that the entire vehicle steams up and gets moist. Most folks shower at campgrounds, truck stops, gyms, etc. Also.... I will bet you your "95" will have an outside shower.
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:10 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. The gym idea may be a nice stop-gap until I have something up and running. I'm planning to live and work out of the van for 6 or more months out of the year, so that's why I'm leaning in this direction.

BTW it's the OP who has the "95", mine is a 1991.

I'll have to do a bit more research before starting this project.
Design considerations are mimicking the RT earliest shower layout which would be appropriate for my vintage, the more common "hallway" layout, or custom.

As you said the plumbing could be complicated. Another thing I have to determine is the grey water tank location and how to be access it.

Also do you know if the shower curtain track is available to purchase?

If I tackle this project I'll post some pics.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 08-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I was contemplating to have a temporary shower in my van but decided to just have the transom one. My idea was to have a round shower pan, perhaps custom with 1” or 2” lip. Design and built a circular, easy to erect, with corded poles tent wall to fit into the pan about 1’ high - Tent Poles Mount a circular curtain guide on the ceiling with curtain going into the tent wall. Use marine shower pump to drain the shower pump.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:52 AM   #6
Platinum Member

You can get round plastic pans at Home Depot to go under hot water heaters. Probably just about the size you are looking for.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:00 AM   #7

A Google search for DIY van shower produces quite a few interesting ideas. Sometimes I'll just view the "images" results to weed out a few.

Yes the conventional household water heater pan is used by one lady in the results. Another lady uses a "hula-hoop" as a shower curtain holder! Creative people!

My old Roadtrek has the toilet cabinet doors that open up and cordon off a large center section of the van. One thought is to skin the inside of these doors with a water proof shower material, and then have 2 shower curtains running fore and aft along the sides to shield the toilet on the right side and the galley on the left side. This would provide a relatively large shower area! Water supply could be supplied from the galley sink via a new retractable faucet, or a slip over shower hose. Drainage is still an issue. As mentioned earlier accessing the grey water tank would be ideal, but a shower pan is a fall back option. BTW West Marine sells a complete shower sump kit.

I'll get started this weekend when I return to the States, and let you know how it evolves.

Ken