Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #1
rcr

Post add back seat belts to RoadTrek 190 Popular (dodge)

We have a roadtrek popular 190P on a Dodge chassis with the rear dinette / split bed layout.

Has anyone added seat belts to the rear dinette themselves? Has anyone removed the panels from the back walls around the bed and has pictures of what is beneath there / inside the walls? If so, how did you remove the panels? e.g. are they pried off or are there screws holding them in place?

We are looking for a mounting spot for seat belts, and are not sure if we should mount 3-points on the walls or just lap belts across the back dinette, and what type of structures we would need to add to provide a mounting place.

thanks for everyone's input and experiences!
rcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum rcr! From a fellow Texan.

You'd need to locate factory anchor points as a minimum. Even then, the seats are unlikely to have been pull tested if there were not seat belts installed there originally in your van's outfitting.

I would not put anyone I love in such a setup.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:16 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Does that layout allow for forward seating? I thought the old layout had two twin beds with a narrow bridge across the center...
Old 06-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I know that for the Chevy Roadtrek 190P rear forward facing seatbelts were an option and you could purchase a kit from a Roadtrek dealer to add it later. It included a seat cushion. I know because I got a quote for it for the 2004 I once owned.

That Chevy model had a metal bar right across the rear.

Liability issues are often mentioned when discussing adding belts. It's a real issue, passenger safety is a must. The kit for the Chevy's was likely the best option if not the only option assuming RT had tested it. I don't know if it was an option for the Dodge models.

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:16 PM   #5
rcr

Default (add'l info and thanks)

thanks for the input! Yes, if we proceed we were planning to add in steel bar(s) for stability similar to what we have seen described as done for a Chevy. However, we wondered if anyone had done that, and their experience and/or pictures for the most stable place on the frame.
rcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
Platinum Member

You might keep in mind what else may end up flying around the coach in a serious accident. Cabinets, things that come out of cabinets because the cabinets and doors get tweaked even if they stay in place, bicycles if stored inside, all sorts of stuff. Driver and Passenger up front might have some protection from their high back seats but riders in the rear might have more to contend with. I certainly hope not but a motorhome versus an SUV can have a lot more to think about if an unfortunate situation occurs. Not likely of course but might see what you can do to prevent some items in the coach area from being an issue.
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:38 PM   #7

Default Rear seat belt question

We have a 1995 Dodge Roadtrek Popular. It has rear seat belts which I assume are factory installed, although I don't know since we bought it used. However, there is no way we would ever consider actually using them. In anything other than a minor fender bender, whoever was strapped in with them would be in a very dangerous situation, we believe.
Austinrt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roadtrek 190 popular, seat belt