Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Add on no idling vehicle air conditioner

I just went to the Volta site to see what their current, often tweaked, rules for cold storage are. Didn't find them yet, but did find this.

https://voltapowersystems.com/wp-con....21.18_WEB.pdf

I hadn't seen this before and it is pretty slick if it works well. It is something we have discussed here in various forms in the past, so not new idea, but is a real product. It would appear it would have to use the vehicle circulation fan which is quite a power hog on many vehicles, but still pretty slick and runs at higher voltage than the 12v units.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
Site Team

What is this, exactly?
Is it installed in parallel with the chassis compressor? or does it inject cold air into the vehicle's ductwork?

N.B. -- It is 58VDC.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
What is this, exactly?
Is it installed in parallel with the chassis compressor? or does it inject cold air into the vehicle's ductwork?

N.B. -- It is 58VDC.

The spec sheet is really short of specifics, but they do say it works in conjunction with the vehicle AC system, so I assume it is a parallel system. I hope they aren't talking about the RV section AC as that isn't perfectly clear.

I would think they would probably use the vehicle duct and fan system, but would have to add some sort of condenser cooling fan and maybe a vacuum pump for the dampers in the dash, but totally unknown right now.

Very interesting idea, though and NO air conditioner anywhere in the unit.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The spec sheet is really short of specifics, but they do say it works in conjunction with the vehicle AC system, so I assume it is a parallel system. I hope they aren't talking about the RV section AC as that isn't perfectly clear.

I would think they would probably use the vehicle duct and fan system, but would have to add some sort of condenser cooling fan and maybe a vacuum pump for the dampers in the dash, but totally unknown right now.

Very interesting idea, though and NO air conditioner anywhere in the unit.
It uses the vehicles air-conditioner, and also a Volta Power Pack: https://voltapowersystems.com/wp-con...et_11-1-19.pdf which utilizes lithium cobalt manganese batteries
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:37 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I contacted Volta about their 48V A/C compressor back in May. The response I received basically said:

"while it may be possible for you to use the Volta compressor to eliminate the engine-driven unit, you may have a more practical solution available...

… Advanced RV has the new “Quiet Roof Air Conditioner” which is worth considering, as well as 2 separate emerging 58V Volta-Compatible roof AC units.

One of these units will be at Volta very soon for proof of compatibility and ratings review, but we feel strongly that it will be a great solution."

I followed up with them in September about the "58V Volta-Compatible roof AC units" and was told they were tested, but not available yet.