Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #1

Default ADDING A SEAT TO A ROADTREK POPULAR 190

I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 1998 POPULAR 190 DODGE RAM 3500. HAS ONLY THE DRIVER AND PASSENGER SEATS. I GUESS I THOUGHT THAT THE SEATS AREA IN THE BACK WAS BELTED OR AT LEAST HAD ANCHORS FOR BELTS. I AM THINKING OF PUTTING A BENCH SEAT ACROSS THE VERY BACK. HAS ANYONE EVER TRIED THIS OR HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE OR SUGGESTIONS ? OBVIOUSLY WILL HAVE TO MAKE SOME MODIFICATION TO THE TWIN BEDS ON THE SIDES BUT ALL THIS IS JUST WOOD AND STEEL AND CAN EASILY BE CHANGED. ANCHORING THE SEAT IS MY CONCERN. WANT IT TO BE BOLTED TO THE FRAME. REMOBABLE WOULD BE NICE IF I KNEW WHERE TO GET THE FLOOR ANCHORS FOR REMOVABLE SEATS.
ANY HELP APPRECIATED.
mweav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: ADDING A SEAT TO A ROADTREK POPULAR 190

I know that for later model Chevy Roadtrek 190P rear forward facing seatbelts were an option and you could purchase the kit from a Roadtrek dealer. It included the seat back cushion that went across the back of the van. I know because I got a quote for it for my 190 Popular.

The Chevy based models have a metal angle bar that goes right across the rear. It had holes cut out for the seatbelt bolts.

I don't know about Dodge models though.

Take a look at this link viewtopic.php?f=9&t=492 for a few photos.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: ADDING A SEAT TO A ROADTREK POPULAR 190

My 2002 Chev chassis has some belts back there but I've never really looked too closely at
them, nor have they ever been used during my ownership. I am guessing that I have the same
set up that markopolo mentioned. There's an angle iron support across the rear door area of the
van and there's a solid piece/box of wood bolted between the two side benches to fill the space and
probably allow the use of one of the side cushions as a rear seat and the other one as a seat back.
The belts appear to be bolted into the angle iron. I don't think the side seats have been modified
at all. I'd say the bar across the back behind the seats in front of the door, and the wood box insert
between the beds at the back and inside the rear door are the only mods.

I will take a closer look when I get back from my current roadtrip, and post up anything else that
might be useful.