Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #1
Gold Member

Question Adding aux tank for RT 95D190P generator ideas?

Trying to keep genset in good condition requires running it for a few hours each month. But if the fuel in the main tank is old we are not really keeping the carburetor clean. I don't want to add cleaner and stabilizer to each and every 35 gallon fill of the main tank. Gets expensive. Also never know just when our next trip will be. 1 week or 3 months? Therefore I am thinking of adding a small (1 or 2 gallons) tank and a selector valve. I can add stabilizer and cleaner to this tank and run the generator from it as needed. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions ? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Yes but they don’t make it a permanent tank. Just put in a two way valve. Attach a tube to your small fuel can when you want to run the generator with treated fuel.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:10 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Between trips, I sometimes go 3 months before using up a tank of fuel. For that reason, I always "time" my fill-ups so that I return with less than 1/4 tank of fuel. Then I fill up with ethanol-free gas at about $.40/gal over regular unleaded. I should keep fine for those 3 months without the need for addititives. As least so far, no problems.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
Silver Member

When I changed from my big Winnie to the small Roadtrek I lost my big, RV-mounted genny. I ended up with a cart-mounted one. The tank failed and I replaced it with a five gallon gas can.

I can now turn the gas on and off, letting the generator run dry after use. If I still had an RV-mounted genny I would add a way to do this.

Recommended!

Click here for the specifics:

Alternate generator gas tank

SteveWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We did the same with a tee valve and quick connect fitting to shut off the tank an turn on a hose to gas can of no ethanol Seafoam treated gas. You don't need a big tank, even a pint is more than enough. Quick and easy to do and worked very well.

When you are traveling and using the generator regularly, it really isn't necessary to use preservative or cleaner even with ethanol laced gas, from what I have seen.

We went non generator a number of years ago with more batteries and engine changing, but if we had a generator I would again use the tee valve and can.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #6

Default A new generator is WAY more expensive than additives

We bought our 95 Roadtrek 190P after it had been unused for three or four years. We ended up having to put in a new generator within a few months. I think additives would be worth considering to avoid that very high expense.
Austinrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
Platinum Member

If you have "stale" fuel in your tank it is probably not very good for your chassis engine either. Using stabilizer before storage might benefit both engines.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:55 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinrt View Post
We bought our 95 Roadtrek 190P after it had been unused for three or four years. We ended up having to put in a new generator within a few months. I think additives would be worth considering to avoid that very high expense.

I doubt additives would have saved your generator after sitting that long as they are really more for shorter term storage like a year. If it is going to be longer than that, I think it is better to run it out of fuel and drain the float bowl if it has a drain or can easily be removed.

If yours ran, but failed later bad enough to require a new generator, you must have had some kind of mechanical failure? Otherwise it would normally just need a new carb if it was fuel related, and maybe a pump.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:59 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzar View Post
If you have "stale" fuel in your tank it is probably not very good for your chassis engine either. Using stabilizer before storage might benefit both engines.

Absolutely right on, IMO. The problem with the Onans is that if they have ethanol laced fuel in them, they can gum up in as little as 3 weeks, based on our experience with ours, so it takes a lot of preservative and timing of low tank to minimize the amount needed. Vehicle engines seem to tolerate the ethanol much better and can go a few months even without issue in most cases. For over winter preserving is always a good idea, especially if it sits outside in varying temps.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:05 PM   #10

Default Good advice

We knew nothing about generators when we bought the Roadtrek. We may well have been sold an unneeded new generator. The people at Cummins/Onan told us that the problems would be so expensive to repair that it made sense to replace the unit and we took them at their word. But it was the case that the original generator worked for a while. It was erratic, though, and at least once stopped running after we had left our dog in the vehicle with the air conditioner running on a hot day while we ate at a restaurant. We haven't had problems with the new one, but if we do I will definitely remember what you have said here. Thank you.
Austinrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinrt View Post
We knew nothing about generators when we bought the Roadtrek. We may well have been sold an unneeded new generator. The people at Cummins/Onan told us that the problems would be so expensive to repair that it made sense to replace the unit and we took them at their word. But it was the case that the original generator worked for a while. It was erratic, though, and at least once stopped running after we had left our dog in the vehicle with the air conditioner running on a hot day while we ate at a restaurant. We haven't had problems with the new one, but if we do I will definitely remember what you have said here. Thank you.

You are certainly not the first one to have gotten the "parts cost more than a new generator" from Onan, and there is no way to know for sure if they were right or wrong from a distance. The fact that it happens fairly often does make it suspect, though. Good luck with your new generator!
Old 02-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #12

I guess this is an added advantage of having a generator that runs on LP, or even diesel?
Modersical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #13
Gold Member

Here is what I did: Mounted a 1 gallon tank to tire carrier frame and will run the hose down between the bumper and van body, then forward to the hole with the existing main tank hose that comes up into the battery compartment. I can route it from there into the gen compartment where I will mount a valve that will be accessible by just raising the inboard side of the mattress. I may even make an access hole (with a door) in the wall below the mattress. Then I will be able to carry the gas / cleaner cocktail around and turn it on when about 2 hours from home. Won't have to worry about rain or forgetting to do it once I get home.
001.JPG