Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: Advanced RV

If you don't have Class Bs an RV show is worthless to me.

The Minneapolis RV & Camping Show last February had 18 different Class Bs presented by four different dealers. Just about everything sold in the US was represented with the exception of Sportsmobile which to my knowledge doesn't do RV shows.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davydd/set ... 260080051/
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
The top 4 B manufacturers by unit sales this year up to August are Roadtrek with a 35.8% market share, Pleasure-Way with a 19.9% share, Thor (Airstream) is next at 19.3% market share, and Winnebago at 16%.

Looks like 8% for everyone else and they seem to be doing OK.

The US companies "suddenly" have 35% of the market up from 0% not long ago............
4 years of increasing gas prices, and the realization that class B vans are a viable product. They see the increased demand. I bet the US outfits make 'em cheaper, and have a higher margin.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Florida........... in January Great time to go for us Northerners
You thinking "road trip"? Weather permitting, we'll be well overdue for one ourselves by then.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #24
Platinum Member

I could be ready to go in just a few minutes
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Alas, we'd take a week just to get to the driveway.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #26
Platinum Member

MIA at the Pomona show yesterday.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Advanced RV? Hmmmmm. Maybe the prototype wasn't ready for the show, even though the Neundorfer's are supposed to be out in it somewhere, aren't they? They did state (or imply) they wouldn't be showing their first model until January, I think, so maybe not surprising.

Did you see the Sportsmobile Van? In the pictures on the this website

http://www.thebestrvshow.com/content/rvbrandsondisplay

it looks like a Hummer on steroids. Very nasty looking. Cool.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Looks like Advanced RV will use lithium batteries:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg stream lithium.JPG (18.2 KB, 722 views)
File Type: jpg upstream lithium.JPG (18.6 KB, 722 views)
File Type: jpg ocean one lithium.JPG (18.8 KB, 722 views)
Old 10-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Maybe Lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) ? I don't know much about lithium batteries. The weight savings and performance specs look great - only problem is the huge up-front cost.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #30
Platinum Member

They might be better off figuring out how to mount a quieter conventional generator, conventional batteries, and increase the recharging capabilities with a renewable combined option of a larger solar panel array, and some sort of wind turbine system. Perhaps there are smaller turbines which could be mounted and driven by air flow around the chassis, while the vehicle is in motion, and then a larger bladed conventional popup turbine (like the Winegard TV antennas) for stationary power generation. Might be better than the really expensive, Buck Rogers, chemo-batteries and engine driven fuel driven systems and their associated wear and tear stuff they're trying.
btw, I have patents pending........
Old 10-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #31
Platinum Member

They have kind of slowed down on their website updates. Nothing new since September 20. Maybe something new will pop soon.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:22 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Davydd, I saw your post on RV net about DIY and 100% agree with it. While it was a reply to a totally different topic I think it relates (somewhat) to Advanced RV.

Quote:
If you can design and if you are a good woodworker you could create a B cheaper and aesthetically more pleasing than the converters but I doubt you could hire it done.
It looks easy but it is not.

Advanced RV have run into something that is causing a delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by July 20, 2012
This is the last Newsletter before the launch of our first model, the incredible 2013 Ocean One.
Computer aided design is a skill in itself but actually producing something that is better than the competition is a tremendous challenge. That newsletter or another mentioned that they were contracting out some moldings. It must be incredibly hard to produce a prototype that looks worthy of a $120,000 to $150,000 (or more) price tag when you don't control every step of production.

I marvel at the design of my custom made Class B van even though it would appear to be primitive to current production models. Little details like bathroom doors that precisely do double duty creating aisle privacy etc. with a millimeter to spare. I sure have learned a lot by owning it.

Hat's off to Advanced RV for doing this. I might have gone after the opposite end of the market myself. The "finish it yourself" subset of the "do-it-yourself" crowd is crying for product imho. Put the basics in and let the customer have at it.

Mike - I agree with everything except the wind turbine underway. The engine / alternator produces more than enough amps in a Sprinter when running. But like you said, a quiet efficient generator when parked would attract many purchasers.

Camping / RV'ing is a basic use a cup, wash a cup kind of thing to me. For luxury, home or a 5 star resort beats it every time / every way.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #33
Platinum Member

I was thinking of some sort of retrofitted small scale wind power system for those of us who prefer our existing vans to the Sprinters. I could imagine adding as many as 2 more batteries and doubling my storage capacity, but for the age old problem of how to rapidly replenish what you've used. I would think that there might be a way to attach a blade or other drive system to a high output GM alternator (or two?) to spin it, while underway at freeway speeds. Where and how to mount and position it, would be the challenge, but I've seen some pretty ingenious additions and improvements on vans in my travels, so it may be possible. My guess is booster is working on something like what I've described, as we speak?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Actually, my preference would not lean towards a way to rapidly charge the batteries. The setup we have with a 140 amp alternator running through 80 amp fuses to the batteries does fine when driving, even with our increased battery capacity (375AH) in the coach and a 115AH starting battery. My preference would be to have a small, maybe 100 watt, generator, similar to what E-trek uses, generator, that would run off the vehicle fuel, or maybe, propane. Would need to be quiet enough to run continuously when dry camped. Combined with a 100 watts of solar, and a decent battery bank of somewhere in the 400-500AH, you would be in pretty good shape, even with a compressor frig. On good solar days, the generator would only be needed at night, sometimes.

IMO, trying to go all electric, and still have things like an AC, hot water, and enough heat for freezing weather, compromises things too much. I think if we could suddenly have available a quiet generator and propane furnace, you would see interest in the high power electric setups dwindle.

Campskunk has a wind generator that he carries with him, not used while driving. He uses it when he is in poor solar conditions. He is off-grid most of the time, and seems to do very well with his setup of lots of solar, the wind generator, Onan, larger battery bank.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #35
Platinum Member

I hate to keep using him as an example, but he does seem to have a pretty versatile (no pun) off grid power system set up. Both of his renewable systems are only as effective as the location. I think he mentioned the satellite reception in Washington was tricky, same as the solar, because of the low horizon.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #36
Platinum Member

It would be nice if Honda could make a diesel generator as quiet as their gas generators.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I was thinking of some sort of retrofitted small scale wind power system for those of us who prefer our existing vans to the Sprinters. I could imagine adding as many as 2 more batteries and doubling my storage capacity, but for the age old problem of how to rapidly replenish what you've used. I would think that there might be a way to attach a blade or other drive system to a high output GM alternator (or two?) to spin it, while underway at freeway speeds. Where and how to mount and position it, would be the challenge, but I've seen some pretty ingenious additions and improvements on vans in my travels, so it may be possible. My guess is booster is working on something like what I've described, as we speak?
If I remember my old physics courses, the drag from using a wind power system while driving would lower the fuel mileage and at least partially offset the benefits of such a system, unfortunately.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #38
Platinum Member

An update

Advanced RV Ocean One sneak peak: http://www.advanced-rv.com/ocean-one-sneak-peak/
Old 10-20-2012, 02:52 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
If I remember my old physics courses, the drag from using a wind power system while driving would lower the fuel mileage and at least partially offset the benefits of such a system, unfortunately.
Done right, it would be negligible. I'm not talking about adding a conventional turbine to the roof like a sail. The weight of the extra batteries and solar panels I proposed would probably do more to reduce the mileage. The placement of the panels could also increase drag, but lots of people do it anyway.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:59 AM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
An update

Advanced RV Ocean One sneak peak: http://www.advanced-rv.com/ocean-one-sneak-peak/
Uh oh, looks like the fridge is under the M/W and might be on the floor.
Seriously, looks nice, the indirect lighting is a nice touch. Nothing earth shattering, though, although the photographer wasn't very good. He/she could have taken better pictures, and not really compromised the unveiling whenever that may happen.
My question is "how much?".