Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 02:07 AM   #61
Platinum Member

Default Re: Advanced RV

I might have misread, but it has a diesel generator as an option? That would be interesting, although diesel gensets are taller and noisier than the LP gas counterparts. If combined with a larger fuel tank, this would make an interesting E-trek competitor, because it could be completely electric.

With the EnergyCommand controller from Onan, it could also detect batteries at a low charge and automatically turn on the generator to recharge them.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:50 AM   #62
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Hopefully I get some show photos but I know the Advanced-RV team is going to be busy this week in Tampa.

I do have a photo though
wow-poor Photoshop, anyone!
didn't want to embarrass the OP. but it was terrible.
at first i thought it was from A-RV's website, and thought "if that's the best they can do with photoshop, i'd steer clear of their RVs".
one thing i noticed was, on the front wheel covers or rims, the logo in the center doesn't look like an MB logo.
is it? can anyone tell from the pic? the grill ornament is the familiar MB logo, but the front wheel rim logo looked odd. hard to tell.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #63
Platinum Member

A zoom in for Mike

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alcoa.jpg (72.0 KB, 749 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #64
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
I might have misread, but it has a diesel generator as an option? That would be interesting, although diesel gensets are taller and noisier than the LP gas counterparts. If combined with a larger fuel tank, this would make an interesting E-trek competitor, because it could be completely electric.

With the EnergyCommand controller from Onan, it could also detect batteries at a low charge and automatically turn on the generator to recharge them.
I think they are still trying to source a suitable diesel generator.

List of features: http://www.advanced-rv.com/advanced-rv- ... highlights Cell Phone Booster and Keurig coffee maker included.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
A zoom in for Mike
Thanks. No MB logo in the rims? Seems odd, or are you pulling my leg again?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Not pulling any legs - I just cropped the photo around the wheel. Check your inbox for an original.

http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/north_ ... e/home.asp
Old 01-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #67
Platinum Member

Advanced RV Ocean One video here: http://vimeo.com/57497009

It is advanced. The touch screen monitor is great. The pantry is useful....... Great job!

[vimeo:1jftfb5z]57497009[/vimeo:1jftfb5z]

Larger video here: http://vimeo.com/57497009
Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #68
Platinum Member

It could be $155,000 "Set up with all the extras" according to this: http://www.fmca.com/openmike/ and they are going to try to sell 50 units per year.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #69
Platinum Member

The SilverLeaf Electronics Total Coach Monitor looks great.

http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/node/4?q=node/16

You can control or monitor all systems; floor heat, automatic generator start, tank levels etc.

Quote:
Our Total Coach™ System ties together the Inverter, Generator, Transfer Switch, Tank Levels, and much more to provide a smart, simple way to automate, monitor, and control your coach.
Quote:
It provides instant indicators of the status of every system, and detailed information is never more than a keystroke away. In fact, a single touch of the screen will start or stop the generator, inverter, water pump, or any other device that is part of the system. It is simple and very convenient.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMS 360.jpg (34.3 KB, 715 views)
Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 AM   #70
Platinum Member

I posted this in the rv net topic:

Larger video: http://vimeo.com/57497009

Very impressive. You can tell that someone who uses a Class B is involved in the design.
# 1 - tank sensors that can't be fouled by waste
# 2 - actual battery numerical voltage displayed (no more guessing)
# 3 - the ability to load supplies into some cupboards right from outside
# 4 - the shelf with space to charge all our gadgets (phones, laptops etc.)

but then got to thinking there are more features

# 5 - the screen door
# 6 - the slide out pantry
# 7 - the cupboard for maps etc.
# 8 - raised fridge height
# 9 - 3.6 kW Onan
#10 - 15,000 BTU Air Conditioner
#11 - 7.5 cu ft fridge
#12 - rearview camera
#13 - heated floor
#14 - built in inverter
#15 - lithium batteries
# 16 - 24' 6" long

Optional Wi-Fi booster with router, Cell signal booster, Power Awning

I can't think of another Class B out there to compare this to. Class C's have the Super C category. This one must fall into the Super B category.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #71
Platinum Member

i could not resist. has a SUPER price.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #72
Platinum Member

I was at the Tampa RV super show yesterday. I was quoted $170,000 for the unit on display. I was shocked and walked away.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #73
Platinum Member

On the bright side - buying it would eliminate "money worries" for most of us. We'd have no money left to worry about!

They are offering (or going to offer) 2 models that aren't as grand as the Ocean One; the Upstream and the Stream http://www.advanced-rv.com/sprinter-models/

A note for Canadians:

Quote:
Canadian customers have asked if they could purchase a “Canadian” Chassis and bring it to our factory for our build and then return with the motor home to Canada. We have no objection to that approach if you were to handle the vehicle registrations and insurance and also transportation back to Canada. If you were able to take this approach, all of your warranties would be in force including the Mercedes-Benz chassis, engine, and transmission warranties.

I am sorry we don’t have a simpler solution for you. Our approach results in a personalized design for each customer but also means that our production levels (50 units/year) will not justify the long and expensive Canadian (CSA) certification process.
This is the reverse of what Canadian Class B builder Safari Condo offers. A US customer wanting a Safari Condo has to deliver a US chassis to them.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #74
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonhks
I was at the Tampa RV super show yesterday. I was quoted $170,000 for the unit on display. I was shocked and walked away.
Gulp!
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #75
Platinum Member

I like the looks of it, but I am wagering with that kind of price tag, it will not last long. I was just thinking (terrible mind), I paid 60K for my '05 190P, and it was pretty loaded out......this is almost 3X that. Oh well, you could sell your home in this super housing market, buy one and live in it - for a mortgage. Ron
Old 01-20-2013, 02:05 AM   #76
Platinum Member

I have some additional comments about Advanced RV features and costs. The Silverleaf HMS 360 monitor is a $2000 item that is usually found on Newell coaches and high end Foretravel coaches. The interior is devoid of the usual monitors which is a real clean look.

The Airstream Interstate puts the batteries, bed motor, inverter, circuit breakers, etc. under the bed so there is no pass through under the bed. Great West Legend EX showed the way by dropping 4 batteries under the coach and accessible by 4 trap doors in the rear of the coach and putting other stuff along the sides in the rear. But Great West still uses a converter charger and added a standalone inverter along the rear side.

What Advanced RV has done is to use a Class A approach and use an Outback VFX2812M inverter/charger to power the coach. But the typical Class A feeds input power to a panel that powers AC, etc and then feeds the inverter/charger which in turn passes through the power or inverts to feed a sub panel for the rest of the circuits.

The AC on the Ocean One can be run from the 4 Lithium batteries (Dometic Smart Start tames the current rush) and so input power is run to the inverter/charger directly and then to a panel for the entire coach. In the video looking at the rear, one can see on the left the breaker box that is integrated into a custom enclosure that connects to the wheel hump. So all of the power stuff is there hidden and safe and the large Outback inverter/charger is visible on the right side. The two battery connections and the power in and out wires are safe from fingers by an Outback cover. Surge protection is before the transfer switch and all of that is in the custom enclosure.

The Outback inverter/charger is a $1900 item but it provides 2800 pure sine watts and a 125 amp charger. Lithium batteries like LIfeline AGM's can be fast bulk charged. But unlike lead acid batteries, one can stop and not spend much time in absorb. There is no penalty for not fully charging at least once a week like there is for lead acid.

4 lithium 100 amp batteries provide 320 usable amp hours and weigh 120 pounds. 6 Lifeline GPL-6CT batteries provide 300 usable amp hours and weigh 360 pounds. Lithium is great for dry camping but overkill for a lot of people.

One thing missing on the coach was a battery monitoring system. Advanced RV is probably going to use the Outback FlEXnet DC to provide a state of charge (SOC) that probably will be used by the Silverleaf to better determine the battery condition rather than just rely on voltage. The SOC will be the gas gauge for the batteries. A Outback Mate2 is around the corner from the fridge and is there to allow one to change battery types in the future. It is required by the Silverleaf HMS 360 but usually is hidden from view since the Silverleaf is the display.

The show Ocean One had the WiFiRanger Go inside and the WiFiRanger Mobile on the roof in front of the AC. The GO is mounted behind the swing out TV that the video demonstrated. Behind the TV is space to mount devices like the GO. I did not see any space in cabinets taken up by devices. I can see in the future an RFMogul roof dish coming into that behind the TV space. There is a shelf below the TV to hold a future DIRECTV Genie.

As far as I know, everyone else is still using a converter charger system. I would never use Lithium batteries with that kind of a system.

Two batteries are placed in the rear on each side and a long box runs across holding two more batteries. A storage box runs across the rear that is great for cables, etc. but can be used to hold two more batteries for a total of six. I do not see any need for six batteries unless one is using lead acid batteries to provide over 300 usable amps.

The Ocean One is like a small Class A. If only space could be found for a drawer dishwasher!
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #77
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum pattonsr. Thank you for the very informative post.
They really did push the envelope on this in many directions by combining all of the high end stuff into one unit and also trying to maximize the usable space.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #78
Platinum Member

Quote:
Not pulling any legs - I just cropped the photo around the wheel. Check your inbox for an original.

Just found this. I did. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #79
Platinum Member

It looks as if Advanced RV has updated their web site. I got their newsletter this morning and went and checked it out. Their About page has a photo about possibilities with some visitors viewing that Ocean One before it underwent conversion. I'm not saying who that is behind that shock of white hair.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #80
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Quote:

Just found this. I did. Thanks.
I checked my Great West Van wheel covers. They too have a third party name, not Mercedes Benz.