Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Advanced RV's Self-Leveling

Advanced RV works with a Dutch company to install self-leveling on its Class Bs at the touch of a switch. It levels front to back, side to side or both and automatically seeks the lowest needed level. It also works with their VB Air-suspension installation. They will retrofit, so I will have to see this at Advanced Fest May 4. I rarely need leveling but this video is compelling.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

More toys for the big boy

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The base price in UK is about $6.5K plus installation so it could be a $10K option. Not mentioned advantages are wheel changing and security. To protect the van from being stolen just lift wheels of the ground and block the controller.

George.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Advanced RV works with a Dutch company to install self-leveling on its Class Bs at the touch of a switch. It levels front to back, side to side or both and automatically seeks the lowest needed level. It also works with their VB Air-suspension installation. They will retrofit, so I will have to see this at Advanced Fest May 4. I rarely need leveling but this video is compelling.
Wow! I've had experience with hydraulic levelers on a 23 foot coach. Until I used them I thought they were useless but after making use of them I was at a loss how I was able to do without them. They were invaluable for sleeping in spots that would otherwise have been unusable.

Mercedes has an unbending rule about drilling into their chassis, so everything has to be clamped. Interestingly, HWH markets a clamping hydraulic leveling system designed for the Sprinter but while Mercedes doesn't prohibit it's use under warranty, for some reason they don't approve it. I wanted to retrofit them on our 210 but HWH said there was insufficient clearance to ground to employ their design.

I notice that they use the vertical plunge setup rather than the kick down setup with a return spring. One advantage of the latter is on days when you OD on stupid pills and drive off with your levelers down, the kick down levels will retract sufficiently to avoid damage whereas vertical plunge levelers would be trashed. Don't ask me how I know.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:43 PM   #5
Platinum Member

That looks like a sweet system. Drilling no holes and using clamp mechanism to the frame part is the same way I mounted four 6V AGM batteries behind the rear wheels under my Sprinter.

Just having a stable van is useful even if you don't need much leveling. Video does not mention Mercedes view on these levelers. Video does mention that the hand brake must be set for system to engage. That might mean they would retract if you release the hand brake and try to drive off. Also found this note in operating Manual from E&P:
"REMARK: Depending on how the system is connected, all jacks are retracting also when the parkbrake is released or the ignition is switched on."

https://www.ep-hydraulicsnews.co.uk/
Old 04-23-2017, 10:47 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
That looks like a sweet system. Drilling no holes and using clamp mechanism to the frame part is the same way I mounted four 6V AGM batteries behind the rear wheels under my Sprinter.

Just having a stable van is useful even if you don't need much leveling. Video does not mention Mercedes view on these levelers. Video does mention that the hand brake must be set for system to engage. That might mean they would retract if you release the hand brake and try to drive off. Also found this note in operating Manual from E&P:
"REMARK: Depending on how the system is connected, all jacks are retracting also when the parkbrake is released or the ignition is switched on."

https://www.ep-hydraulicsnews.co.uk/

That could be kind of weird if they retracted every time the autostart kicked in to charge the batteries.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:47 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Reading the manual further this comment on page 27:
"Jacks are extended and you accidentally drive off: the system will immediately give an alarm and the jacks are automatically retracted as soon as the hand brake is disengaged. In case of vehicles with a pneumatic brake installation, this takes place when the engine is started."
Old 04-23-2017, 11:50 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
That could be kind of weird if they retracted every time the autostart kicked in to charge the batteries.
When an Advanced RV auto starts you cannot put it in gear to drive or step on the foot brake or release the handbrake. It will turn the engine off immediately. I don't know, but I suspect it could auto start without retracting the levelers. Even though auto starting would be a rarity as I have mentioned many times, you can program and turn it off at the Silverleaf screen if in fact it would conflict. Also with a little common sense with all the information at hand about your battery status you should be able to know if auto start in the middle of the night is remotely possible. i.e. I think you would have to be extremely stupid for this to be a concern. I will probably learn more at ARV this coming week if any of my suppositions are wrong.

BTW, there is about a two inch up or down auto or handheld control manual button forced leveling with the VB Air Suspension which many times eliminates the need for those lego leveling blocks but it does nothing for any side to side leveling. I'm intrigued by the system but seldom ever need leveling blocks. Many campground sites seem to have a natural slope back to front down toward the drive road for drainage. VB Air Suspense takes care of those situations most of the time.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:22 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Is this a real triple axle Fiat Ducato on E&P Hydraulics homepage? Or just an artist's overactive imagination?
Attached Images
File Type: png ducato?.png (303.0 KB, 8 views)
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:52 AM   #10
BBQ
Platinum Member

apparently it is real.

Probably handles like that 1970s GMC MH; it was front wheel drive as well. The traction sucks.

Auto-Trail Comanche 2012 in Wellington | Friday-Ad

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Eventually View Post
Is this a real triple axle Fiat Ducato on E&P Hydraulics homepage? Or just an artist's overactive imagination?
Many of these Ducato motorhomes are using an AL-KO chassis upgrade...

Leisure vehicles | AL-KO
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Sadly none of the secondary industries that surround the Ducato product line has made it to the US yet. 4x4, hyd AWD, swivels for double seat, wide frame and rear axles combo
PinIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:54 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post

With info in my second post on remarks from page 27 of owners manual they won't retract on a Sprinter because it does not have pneumatic brakes.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream