Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2014, 03:46 AM   #341
Silver Member

Default Re: Advancing Alvar

Flojet's unique Variable Speed Drive system needs no pressure switch. Its microprocessor provides precise speed control to match the system demand. As more water is needed, the motor drives the pump for more flow. As the demand lessens, the motor slows to a super-quiet speed, yet maintains a steady pressure. The result is an unbelievably home-like flow. This smooth performance from no flow to maximum flow is sensor controlled, without any cycling - so an accumulator tank is not needed. The system is free of pulsation, water hammer and temperature swings. Amp draw reduces as flow reduces to conserve energy, ranging from less than 1 amp to a max.of 10 amps. Self priming up to 10'. Automatically adjusts to 12V or 24V input. Thermal overload protection with auto restart. USA. - See more at: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... i1wm2.dpuf

They have been making these, or similar for over ten years, manufactures in 2005 weren't installing them because of cost.
You could have solved you hammer problem in 2005 in about an hour, and if I remember correctly, about $180.
Back to Advancing Alvar.
Caped Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #342
Platinum Member

We also have the Flojet variable speed, and it is just like the caped crusader describes.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #343
Site Team

[I don't at all mean to be argumentative, but let's not leave the record confused:]

Yes, of course the fancy digitally-controlled pumps would have solved the problem (for "about $180"). But so would an accumulator tank (for about $35). What your original message said was "With an On Demand pump from Flo-Jet, or Surflo you shouldn't get any hammering". Perhaps you meant to say "With a VARIABLE SPEED DRIVE pump...". If that is what you have, then that explains the difference between our experiences. On-demand pumps as a class tend to be noisy and bang. I am sure that the fancy pressure sensor and variable-speed motor solves the problem (with the usual tradeoffs of cost and complexity). But, so do accumulators.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #344
Platinum Member

My rig would definitely benefit from having an accumulator installed and I think I have the space for it. It would be difficult to find the space in some Class B's. Future project
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #345
Platinum Member

I had the same Shurflo Classic water pump in both my 2005 P-W Plateau and 2011 GWVan Legend. It seemed the P-W performed a little smoother and quieter. My suspicion is it might be a factor in how it is plumbed, placed or whatever that makes a difference. The Advanced RV will have an upgraded pump. Advanced RV says it performs better and quieter. We will see.

The critical thing I see is the upgraded pump has a higher flow rate. I always thought in van showers were next to worthless with the dribble rate the pumps produced. City water hookup showers were always better.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #346
Site Team

I suspect you are right that the details of the installation matter (topology of the pipes, method and surface of pump mounting, etc, etc). People's experiences seem to be all over the place. For example, I have never had a shower volume complaint in either of our vans, and I am pretty sure we had/have the same pump as you. Who knows?
Old 10-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #347
Platinum Member

FWIW, I have the Shurflo Revolution 4008 that Davydd referenced. It is far from quiet, but not horrible. Can barely hear it outside the van. Probably not optimally plumbed - right-angle elbows at both ends. Thanks for the discussion. Good food for thought.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:12 AM   #348
Silver Member

Yes Avanti, excuse me, I left out variable speed to the on demand part, I thought I cleared that up in my next post.
My original pump was very noisy, similar to yours, but replacing it in 2003 with a Flojet Varible speed pump made it so quiet that I could barley hear it inside the van. I had no room for an accumulator tank in my Roadtrek, as I remember the ones available were pretty big.
Again, excuse my omission which caused the misunderstanding.
Caped Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:26 AM   #349
Site Team

No problem at all. I really just didn't want to confuse folks reading this in the future.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #350
Platinum Member

It's under construction. Hoping for a mid January finish. Communication by YouTube...

[youtube:yrooqn6c]tsDvlC4QhbY[/youtube:yrooqn6c]
Old 10-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #351
Platinum Member

Nice!

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate on 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long
Old 10-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #352
Platinum Member

The video updates on the build for the client is a nice touch
Old 10-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #353
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
The video updates on the build for the client is a nice touch
Nice for the customer , and also very smart marketing on Advanced part, IMO. It is interesting timing that the video for Davyyd's van showed up about the same time as Campskunk's. Since both are in the very high end of the market, it certainly shows the two different approaches to the market. One completely transparent-here's what you get, fully explained as to how and why, and the other the exact opposite. No question which version I would choose (if we were in that market )
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #354
Platinum Member

I have also gotten some still progress photos. They keep you informed. Tentative completion date is now the middle of January. We will fly out to Cleveland and spend a couple of days at the factory checking everything out and then drive it home. We are still doing some development work, thus I am in no hurry since we hadn't planned to go anywhere until after the holidays.

There is no planned coincidence that I am aware of. At least not at my end. I've known since May pretty much what Advanced RV was up to in battery systems as they had it laid all out on display for customers and non-customers who chose to attend their Advanced Fest. It wasn't until a week ago with completion of testing were they willing to announce it with a newsletter. There is some stuff they are working on but until proven they would rather not mention it because some stuff proved not to pan out satisfactorily. Not much is going untouched.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #355
Platinum Member

In anticipation of the 4x4 Sprinters, Advanced RV started developing a more sporty look to their RVs instead of the traditional fiber glass skirt. Here is one example that has been built - the nerf bar skirt.

Yes, we are going for it even though we won't have 4x4. I understand there are some modifications to come such as maybe not as much checker plate. There is actually a cost savings to do so.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #356
Platinum Member

Not as stealthy as fiberglass running boards common on passenger vans but a lot stronger.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #357
Platinum Member

There are not many Class B RVs other than the 4x4 Sportsmobile vans that have the nerf bar design. I don't know about stealth but it will look less like all the fiber glass skirt Sprinter Class Bs out there. The other thing I like is it won't get damaged like fiber glass if you rub up against curbs and posts other than needing touch up paint.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:41 AM   #358
Platinum Member

I like the idea. Does the fiberglass skirt have a any storage compartments on Advanced RV units?
Old 10-14-2014, 01:02 AM   #359
Platinum Member

There is pretty good built in storage in the skirts. There is also concealed utility connection storage. My understanding is the nerf bars will also have built in concealed storage and utilities. I don't have all the details yet. This pull out box holds the electrical cord and slinky sewer among other things.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:03 AM   #360
Platinum Member

Great idea. You wonder why B designers missed the boat previously. Maybe the add on fiberglas skirts were cheaper but had a lot less utility than yours will, Davydd.
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote