Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2020, 10:39 PM   #1

Default Adventures in replacing a fridge in a '99 Roadtrek

The fridge in our '99 Roadtrek 190 Popular seemed to be running poorly. No cooling at all on 120V. Cooling on propane was marginal.

After poking about on the web and reading about fixing the fridge I decided to pull it so I could bench test it. There are links on the web on how to do this - turned out to be fairly easy. Took about 45 minutes. Yup, bench test proved the thing needed to be replaced.

Since it was so easy to get out I figured the replacement Dometic model would be a breeze to install. Thought I'd save some money and ordered one online. The thing arrived with substantial damage. After a day or two exchanging text and photos with the seller they agreed to provide an RMA. That was four weeks ago. Haven't seen it yet; I'm not terribly worried - we registered a dispute with the credit card company and they've provided a provisional credit. Weekly prodding of the seller hasn't pried anything loose yet.

Next step was to buy a replacement at the local well-regarded RV shop and have them install it. Guess what: the Dometic RM2351 - supposedly dimensionally identical to the Dometic RM2310 it was replacing - required the following modifications. (This is a quote from the invoice.)

"Had to remove circuit board mounting bracket & cut off rear foot on left side to get refer (sic) to fit. Had to make side trim for cabinet so refer could be screwed to it. Refer is smaller than the old one; had to removed low trim on refer.

Due to it was hitting lower part of cabinet floor - sealed side & bottom of refer - made up new LP line & installed. Made up mounting plate for circuit board to mount to & installed. Ran refer on 110Volt - 25 Deg. in refer & 15 below zero in freezer."

Oh what fun!
truckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Often things don't go as planned, and I find that happens more & more.

But you've got a cold fridge now, so as long and the modifications didn't significantly impact the istall price, you're ahead of the game.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:00 PM   #3

"...didn't significantly impact the istall price..." Would that was true. But I'm not complaining. The beer will stay cold now.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:21 PM   #4

Epilogue: While the overall height, width & depth of the RM2351 may be the same as the RM2310, the same is not true for the door panel. The panel from the 2310 is too wide - but that's easy. Just reduce it by an inch. There is no way, however, to make it taller. It looks to be about a 1/4" too short. So anyone using the fridge is now required to remain standing or only looking into the fridge when kneeling down.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:58 AM   #5
Gold Member

How much was the job?
I also would like to know if there is a different brand that would fit.
RT1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:10 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckee View Post
Epilogue: While the overall height, width & depth of the RM2351 may be the same as the RM2310, the same is not true for the door panel. The panel from the 2310 is too wide - but that's easy. Just reduce it by an inch. There is no way, however, to make it taller. It looks to be about a 1/4" too short. So anyone using the fridge is now required to remain standing or only looking into the fridge when kneeling down.
If its a small Dometic or Norcold 3 Way being on your knees is perfect as it allows you at the same to pray for the bloody thing to work properly.

I went to Church daily for 9 years except for when it below 60°F.

You have invested the money, I wish you all the luck - keep it level as much as you can & remember how you took it out because if you remove it & burp it correctly for 24 hours its like a new fridge.

Gallen & others install a computer fan below to exhaust the hot air and or, blow on the coils back there.

Mine was the dreaded RM2354 Model
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:43 PM   #7
Silver Member

I replaced mine with an Isotherm compressor works great 0n 12/120 V.
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:01 PM   #8

Default Fridge 97 Roadtrek 190

I ordered the rm2310 also from Camping World website, the "new" refrigerator looked like it was in car wreck the outside had like bondo fillings. I also had the problem with fitting the back of it with the circuit board placement it would hit the propane gas fitting, anyway the thing did not cool at all and I returned it.
I ended buying a regular small fridge at target for $100 it works pretty good, I hook it up to power at night to freeze a freeze bag I put in the freezer and stays pretty cool during the day without power.
jorgesweb@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:50 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Great idea simply because of how you make it work.

There are a few threads on here "about the work arounds needed" to make such a fridge function versus the purchase of a purpose built $900-1500 DC Compressor Fridge in the upright style.

But of course, replacement 3 Ways are the same cost of not more.

I know because I started one thread & was helped with a lot of answers & both negatives & positives.

Questions

How long have you been doing this??

Do you run a air curculating fan over the block or anywhere in the fridge?

What is your fridge temperature? throughout the day?*

What is the typical outside temperatures?*

I highly recommend these SENSORPUSH BLUETOOTH UNITS, even if you only purchase one - never any need to open a door & check a thermometer, all the info arrives via Bluetooth on your phone & you can track historical data by the minute, hour, day, month, etc.

www.sensorpush.com

Do you ever run the fridge on DC when you are driving?

What sort of Battery Bank do you have?

I assume you are not interested in adding solar?

Is its a budget issue for you or is it a question of need versus cost but it is a big cost to add solar just to have your refridgerated food safe.

Do you always camp with Shorepower every night?

If you cannot find Shorepower, what do you do?

Do you have a Generator?

Once again, its a fantastic idea!
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 09-20-2020, 07:52 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski View Post
I replaced mine with an Isotherm compressor works great 0n 12/120 V.
Joel'ski,

Do you have Solar?

Do you have an upgraded battery bank?

What model fridge?

Do you know your power draw?
Old 09-20-2020, 08:07 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgesweb@yahoo.com View Post
I ordered the rm2310 also from Camping World website, the "new" refrigerator looked like it was in car wreck the outside had like bondo fillings. I also had the problem with fitting the back of it with the circuit board placement it would hit the propane gas fitting, anyway the thing did not cool at all and I returned it.
I ended buying a regular small fridge at target for $100 it works pretty good, I hook it up to power at night to freeze a freeze bag I put in the freezer and stays pretty cool during the day without power.
If it ever fails, I recommend TruckFridge* Upright if you want to stay with a small unit (I presume you don't pack a lot of food in there) & not upgrade your battery system to anything but one AGM** if you dont have it.

*Isotherm is an Italian Company who manufacture TruckFridge there & market to the trucking industry in the USA & other nations.

**the design of the lead acid batteries might cause early replacement which is easily done if you buy from a big box retailer for free (but not a AGM Lead Acid like Lifeline)

The units are around 1/2 cost & while not having the features of the more expensive Marine/RV purpose built units, work really good.

Plus rvsprinterguy & some others are having success with the ICECO Single*** Zone units that can either be a fridge or a freezer.

***while I was waiting 6 weeks lead time for the Novakool to make my unit I got buyers remorse & had a couple of in depth conversions with the Chinese importer whom have a warehouse in Los Angeles - he let slip that the Dual Zone/ Combination units do not perform within the specifications listed as the compressor is frequently cycling to maintain both temperature zones

However with either option you could have purchased 4-5 new units of what you already own.

Tags
dometic fridge, roadtrek 190 popular