Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2017, 02:11 AM   #1

Default Advice for choosing the right class b

Hello everyone, I'm new here and hope this is the right place for this thread.

I'm trying to find a 90s class b on a tight budget and want to make sure I get the right one. I plan on full timing (I'm not sure how common that is around here, but I hope it's accepted) for at least a year while I finish up my degree. I can't afford to live in a dorm anymore, and an apartment would be hard to find and a real drain on my pocket.

So, how did you guys choose the right floor plan for yourself? And how do you avoid an RV that has problems?

What I'm wanting out of the floor plan is, a bed that I can keep as a bed, a wet bath (or any good way to go to the bathroom and shower with privacy and without folding out walls into the hallway), and then a sitting area with a table (to eat/socialize/work on laptop).

Most of the models that fit this are rare and expensive. I absolutely adore the mid to late 90s xplorers, but I doubt I'll be able to get one on my budget.

Right now, I'm considering a 92 Coach House. I mostly like it, but their is no table area, it's basically captains chairs, hallway with a kitchen on one side, wet bath on the other, and then a bed . I just don't know how I'd ever have guest or where I'd do homework.

So how do you guys decide? Anything else I should consider when searching? Any advice?
fringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

When you are on a tight budget,
and your immediate goal is to get through the final school year,
the floor plan is the last thing you want to worry about.

Look at the engine,
the batteries,
maybe the plumbing...

Whether you crash in the front bunk or the rear bunk makes no difference to most young people. If you are on campus, you can shower at the change room, so the bath is of no consequence. Most full timers on old rigs don't care about the condition of the stove; if it is not working they would just go get a Coleman or a $25 butane stove. Ice cooler for food... and that's it.

Good luck.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #3
Bronze Member

You might want to read "Walden on Wheels" about a grad student who simply bought a van to live in which wasn't converted to an RV. He used campus facilities for toileting and showering, etc. He did some light cooking in the van. If you can get something nicer, that's great, but it sounds like your budget will constrain you. You can always study in the library, also.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #4
g1g
Platinum Member

I have to agree with the other posters and outsource what you can. You also must think that a B does not have much water or holding tank and it can be done but there is a price to pay for the convenience which is limited. I also have to agree with you that everything could be nice and a convenience. I suggest into looking into alternatives such as shower on campus if possible. Get what you need and if budget allows get the luxury. I have never used my shower yet. but if i need it I do have it. Keep searching for what your budget allows and keep in mind when looking as just what it may take additional to change or add something you want. It may not be professional but it may work for you. Like a movable table on the one you are looking at. Other considerations are how will you get electric, where to fill water and dump tanks. If you think you will run off batteries how will you charge them.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:59 PM   #5

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I will have to check that book for inspiration and ideas.
My budget is tight, but not dire, I can afford a decent class b as long as I find a good deal on one.
I know I could shower and study on campus, but I want this RV for more than just this year. If I enjoy it, I plan to use it to avoid rent until I can afford my own land. I also, just like the idea of being able to have everything I need with me.

A lot of class b owners seem to avoid using the shower and bathroom, is it really that bad to use?

After searching more, and thinking about what I would be happiest with, I have decided if need be, I will just accept an RV with a fold out bathroom, such as a Roadtrek. I really like their interiors besides the hallway shower. I currently have a list of about 10 RV manufacturers from the 90s that have layouts I would be happy with, just most of them are rare and often by extension expensive models.

For electricity I plan to set up solar, and I know of some nearby RV parks I can use for dumping and filling.

Do many people here full time?
fringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #6
Platinum Member

A table is your last concern. The reason for this is you can go to an RV store, pick up two table bases for $10-15 each, a table leg for 25-30 and you could buy a 2x3 piece of plywood from home depot for around $10 and make a table. You could mount this table anywhere you wanted it to be. And it's removable other than the one base that is screwed into the floor.

If you want a table in two places, install two bases on the floor and you can move the table from one end of the van to the other.

I think your biggest concern will be power, water and waste. Solar doesn't generate a ton of power, but you can reduce usage to a minimum using LED lights and conservation. Water is finite, no matter what you do. And if you want to shower in the van it's going to go quickly.

And what to do with waste? You're going to have to dump it eventually. If you shower and use the toilet regularly you might find you need to go dump once or twice a week. Showering indoors and using an indoor toilet is the solution for this. Use the van toilet for emergencies. But you're still going to have to dump it eventually.

Where are you going to park? Will they let you park on campus? If they let you park full time there are they going to freak out if you're living there? That is something to consider as well.

I am not trying to dash your hopes. But I do want you to understand the realities of living in a van. It's a small area with limited space for water, waste, clothes, food and you.

Good luck. If you have more questions please feel free to ask. We're mostly friendly around here.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:49 PM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringe View Post
::

A lot of class b owners seem to avoid using the shower and bathroom, is it really that bad to use?
::

First, you have a limited amount of water.

Most ClassB have 20~25 gallons fresh water tank.
That's for your cooking cleaning shower and flushing the toilet.
Most people do navy showers.

Second, having hot showers will steam up your living space.

Third, you have to dump the waste tanks, then fill up the fresh tanks.
It might sound simple, but it can become a real chore.

Finally, you might not be able to use much of your plumbing facilities because you need to winterize the RV before everything freezes.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:51 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Respectfully, If you are looking for a 90"s vintage rig AND you are on a tight budget, it is very unlikely that you will have the luxury of choosing between many different floorplans, bathrooms, etc. Decent class B units (even the older ones) are tough to find and can still be pricey. Is time on your side? Can you bide your time? .... if so, just keep looking through the trader ads, craigslist,etc. Take your time, but when a decent one comes along, you need to jump on it immediately.
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:00 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Roadtrek 210 or Zion

https://sunshinestatervs.com/inventory/
Rdean925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
Bronze Member

Roadtrek 210
Sunshinestatervs will give you an idea of price for used
Rdean925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #11
Platinum Member

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...BODY-121525830

Here's a 2001 Coach House in Cincinnati. Looks like a nice unit at a reasonable price. Is this what you're looking for? Appears to have a table base near the front seat, so that seat probably swivels and creates a workspace.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:58 PM   #12

Default gym membership!

I've always figured a gym membership would be the way to go. Somewhere really close to where you park your van. Shower and workout before school..or after. But always a hot shower and a safe place. They usually will have hot tubs for relaxing. I agree with the other posts. Good engine/CLEAN and taken care of would beat out the locale of the bed etc... You won't spend much time in there. Do you have a great place to park it? More likely sitting outside on a chair to study..
Tessa812 is offline   Reply With Quote