Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2014, 01:56 AM   #1

Default Advice needed

Hi.im new to the forum, so please excuse if this is in the wrong place.

I've been looking for our first RV and I have reached a state of "analysis paralysis". I am hoping maybe some of you fine folks can assist.

Some background: my wife and I are close to the half century mark in age, with 3 kids - a junior and a frosh in college and a sophomore high schooler. It is our plan to retire sometime in the next 8-10 years and full time RV - at least for a few years. In the meantime, we would like to get started with weekend trips (at least 1x per month) in the upper south and mid Atlantic and north east and a couple of longer trips per year (we are in the baltimore/doc area so likely Florida/LOuisiana/tx for the Christmas holidays and "out west" for a 2 weeks during the summer).

Now for the first issue...I've been looking at class b, b+, and c rvs. I'd like a diesel sprinter based ones. Right now I like the roadtrek CS, the era or the navion as well as several others. The problem: my philosophy is to buy an RV that is not specifically designed for the whole family - figuring for the immediate future the college kids will not be traveling with us majority of the year. But, I'd still like to drag them along if need be. My wife thinks we should have an RV that can lug everyone in comfort. So, that elimates every class b I know about. So, does anyone have any experience in a class b with kids around these ages?

My thoughts on Using a class b with the whole group: get a tent for the big kids and/or use the class b as a "people mover most of the time and stay in hotels. Realistic?

There are also some features I'd like in the RV but I guess I learned quickly about compromise:
- diesel
- solar
- I would like the heated floor and heated tanks since we live where we live and I don't have the option to go south for the winter.
- prefer the "annonimity" of the class b style - it doesn't screen RV, easy to drive and park in normal places, etc.

In all honesty, I suppose I know deep down that the navion (24j) is likely the best option (compromise) but if was just me and the wife (as it will surely be in 5 years) I'd go with the roadtrek Cs.

I would like to buy new so, the top end of the budget is a new roadtrek (but sadly not the ts or, even more sadly an andvanced RV or coach house)

Really anyone's thoughts- good or bad- would be really helpful. I'm at the point where I'm going to say the heck with it and buy an airstream and a Ford F-250.

Thanks much.
dham340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:40 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Advice needed

if just 2 people- the Roadtrek CS with full e-trek package is the best roadtrek has
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:44 AM   #3
Platinum Member

You're right ... option paralysis. Hits particularly hard when there is not ONE right answer, but several acceptable ones. Affects us at work as well. Take the sensible way out. Class B is not for a family of five. Get a used late model Class C now, move to a Class B in 5-6 years if you want.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:01 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I can tell you right off a Class B or a small Class C based on the Sprinter platform is NOT going to be suitable for 5 (essentially) adults. The capacities cannot handle 5 people of any age. When you are ready to admit you are not going to drag your kids along with you then a Class B might be ideal if you like to tour (moving on every day or two) and not take destination vacations.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
Bronze Member

I am sure that Davydd intended to say that a Sprinter platform is NOT going to be suitable for 5 adults.
FredA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Fixed it. Sometimes my mind goes faster than my fingers even when I can type more than 90 words per minute.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Since you'll experience an immediate depriation on a new Class B, buy the one you want long-term. The Sprinter has pretty good towing capacity, quite adequate for an inexpensive small trailer or pop-up for when you bring the kids along. If you stay in campgrounds with facilities, the tank capacities won't be an issue.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
Platinum Member

http://roadtreking.com/towing-a-travel- ... -roadtrek/
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Belzars advice is good. you'll have the B and can use the trailer. a pop up might be best
Old 10-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #10
Platinum Member

At this stage the OP's suggestion of a Ford F-250 and an Airstream trailer sounds a lot better.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #11
Platinum Member

i like trailmanors personaaly
Old 10-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
At this stage the OP's suggestion of a Ford F-250 and an Airstream trailer sounds a lot better.
Or a used Ford E-350 window van and used Airstream. That's how I started RVing, with a older classic 27 ft Airstream that I sold 5 years later for what I paid for it. Getting a used E-350 with full seating gives you comfortable seating for 5 adults. Buying used now makes a lot of sense to fill time until you are just a retired couple traveling together.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate on 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long
Old 10-11-2014, 01:13 AM   #13
Platinum Member

We are in exactly the same boat as you. We have a class A for the Family and a B for me and momma. I am a musician so I have had a van of some sort for 15 years for equipment so it's not a stretch to have a B.I will say it's getting tempting to sell the A and buy a trailer for taking the kids. Registration and maintenance are much less for a trailer.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote