Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #1

Default Advice on buying a used B in a different state

I am looking to purchase a new to me Class B, but the odds are that it will be rather far away. How does one go about checking on its condition (both mechanical and house systems) and how does the transaction process work?

Here is my scenario: I find an RV I like on CraigsList from a private seller, only its 1500 miles away. So I contact the seller. Then what? Negotiate a price, and then have a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection)? PPI first then negotiate price? Price is subject to PPI? I assume I pay for the PPI. What about shipping it to my location? Has anyone done that before? Finally the money? Is it held in escrow? Do they get it when the B is on the trailer?

I hope people understand this is a big purchase for me, and i've never done this before. Thanks for any help and guidance.

P.S. If there is a guide/FAQ that address this that I haven't found, please point me in the right direction and delete this thread
lupulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #2
Platinum Member

if you are serious- fly and see it.

the price of a flight would be worthwhile

especially if it saves you from buying a turd

if it meets expectations then you drive it home.

maybe you could hire an RV dealer to inspect it for you if you can't travel

where is it?
mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:53 AM   #3

Hi Lupulin,

I have the same concerns. To compound the issue we are looking for a very specific vehicle (10 yrs old), and we live in California with particular requirements for registration (passing the Calif. smog test). We are both working full-time now ....we may need to wait until we retire next year. We just can't take off at the drop of a hat to fly/inspect/drive home.

Counting the days until retirement!
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:46 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
Hi Lupulin,

I have the same concerns. To compound the issue we are looking for a very specific vehicle (10 yrs old), and we live in California with particular requirements for registration (passing the Calif. smog test).
Have a look at the regs, you cannot buy a new vehicle which doesn;t met CARB requirements and bring it into CA.

But you can buy a used vehicle and bring it in. the requirement used to be over 7000 miles is "used" enough.

but check the exact age/mileage requirement

When I lived in CA I brought a number of used vehicles into the State.

Mike
Old 10-11-2015, 05:52 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses!

MKGuitar: Flying out to see it isn't practical, but thanks. The one I'm looking at now is in Ohio.

Leigh: Glad to know I'm not the only one. Wish I had some good advise for you Maybe someone else out there does....????
Old 10-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I'd have to see it before I paid for it. The only exception to that would be if was a brand new unit at a dealer and I had previously seen the exact same model to make sure the size of the bathroom was ok, the beds comfortable enough, there was space for my gear etc. And, there would have to be a local dealer able to take care of warranty work.

I have purchased two RV's that required travel to get but inspected them before committing to the purchase and drove them home.

Note: I think you are at a disadvantage if traveling to make a purchase. I bought a one-way airline ticket ................. the pressure was on make the van work for me - no "let me think about it" option unless I was willing to incur even more expenses for accommodation and meals.

I probably would travel to purchase again but the price of the unit needs to be discounted enough to make financial sense. If a deal looks too good (assuming it is legit) you have to wonder why no one locally has bought it.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Platinum Member

There's no way I'd buy such a pricey vehicle without seeing it. I would factor a couple of airline tickets into the cost of the rig. I'd book it round trip and ditch the return if it was good.

Years ago I did exactly that for a spiffy Porsche 911 -- I was in Washington State and the car was in Chicago. Flew out Thursday night and had it back on Sunday! Of course I was young and foolish then!
Old 10-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #8
Site Team

The whole B-van market is so tiny, that often the only way to bring buyers and sellers together is for one of them to travel.

It is tough, though. I've never bought a rig long-distance, but I did sell one that way. It was tough. You want to be 100% transparent about every little flaw so as not to lead to an unfortunate situation. But it is extremely difficult to do so without making a beautiful van sound like a complete wreck. The potential purchaser inevitably thinks "geez, look at all those flaws--I wonder what he isn't telling me." Can't win.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I would at least hire a inspection service. I'm into old cars. I bought a old car (1912 Cadillac) once and it was not what I expected when I got it even though pictures were provided. Nothing like seeing it in person. even inspections can miss things. My current motorhome I saw in person but did not have it inspected. From the condition of it and the gut feeling i had from the sellers of the people, I felt good about the purchase. Today I just checked out the last thing...the furnace works
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #10

tbirdman,

How did you find the inspection service. I'm just at the point where it seems it is going to be a lot harder on the Sellers part (i.e. Taking the RV to a service center for an inspection which could be a significant distance from them; Dealing with another unknown individual (Me) and the possibility of a Scam).

FYI I'm in Oregon and the RV I'm looking at is in Ohio

CLASS B MOTORHOME 1988 XPLORER 230
Old 10-14-2015, 12:41 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Nice looking unit and a decent price.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:34 AM   #12

Grrraaaaarrgghhhhh, Bruceper! You're not making this any easier!!! But thanks
Old 10-14-2015, 10:01 PM   #13

Is there anyone in the Cincinnati Ohio area have a recomendation for someone to perform a PPI? Does anyone have advice on how(or which company) to ship/transport an RV? Anyone???
Old 10-14-2015, 11:56 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Knobi international deals mostly in international vehicle shipping, inspections etc

give them a shout.

they are based here in PHX and the owner Mike is a good guy, I've done a couple of deals through them

mike
Old 10-15-2015, 12:23 AM   #15

Great! Thanks for the tip Mike.

Do you have an opinion on having Camping World perform an inspection, and things I should specifically ask about?
Old 10-15-2015, 03:18 AM   #16
Bronze Member

Could they take and email you more detailed pictures? I would like to see close ups looking down the sidewalls (delam, leaking). Under the hood, undercarriage. Also, have they had any leaks and what care has been taken with the engine, oil changes, how old tires. Any vehicle that age will require some work, imho. Refrig. wears out, freon in ac. , but also, almost anything can be repaired if it isn't a rust bucket. Get the best price you can and put the savings into future repairs. Good luck and enjoy your b.
pebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:14 AM   #17

Thanks for the well wishes Pebbles, but I am a long way from enjoying anything but looking. Right not I'm just inquiring if the seller is open to the process of a long distance sale. I understand on their part that I might seem like a scammer.

I'm coming up with a list of questions, and a request for more and better quality/detail pictures. Rust is the main thing I'm worried about.

If it needs a new engine/transmission...on a Dodge 360, its one thing. On a Mercedes sprinter...apparintly its something else. But it can be fixed
Old 10-15-2015, 05:39 AM   #18
Platinum Member

I'm a little confused- a quick look at the Portland craigslist shows a couple of dozen B's and camper vans new and old, expensive and not so expensive.

look closer to home.

esp if looking at an older van- there are just more variables as stuff ages, and maybe gets fixed or patched and taped up

maybe fixed by a shop/tech or a drunken owner

mike
Old 10-17-2015, 05:04 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Last March I found a 2000 Pleasure Way in Phoenix. I live in the Denver area. Luckily, a friend of a friend lives in Chandler, AZ. I paid him to go to the sellers house to check it out for me. It seemed as though the generator needed a tune up so the seller lowered the price to pay for the tune up. (As it turned out, it needed more than a tune up but the price of the van was so reasonable that it was okay.)
Then a friend of mine and I drove down to Phoenix to pick it up. The seller accepted a cashiers check. I had to do a few things to the van but nothing major. I was lucky to deal with an honest seller.
I was wondering why this forum doesn't have a classified section for selling Class B vans. I have a friend who is looking for a 2000-2004 Pleasure Way Excel TD.
ballbraindogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Trading Post | Classifieds - Class B Forums
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote