Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Air Compressor_ B compatible

Looking for any suggestions for a SMALL 120 volt (no 12v please) air compressor capable of inflating Class B tires, 80 psi, in a reasonable amount of time and under $100.
Moonmanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:16 AM   #2
Platinum Member

What is the downside of traveling with a high quality 12 volt air compressor. You will always have 12 volt power from the van or the house batteries. I use a VIAIR compressor that works well and clamps to the van battery posts with a long cord that will reach all the tires. You probably won't have many options with a portable 120 volt compressor.

https://www.viaircorp.com

Unless you meant for home use in which case any decent brand air compressor will work. My pancake Bostitch compressor is small and fast.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #3
Silver Member

Thanks for your reply. I am looking for a small (class B compatible size) 120v compressor. I have a Bostich in my workshop. As I said, no 12 volt please.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
Platinum Member

A 120v compressor with a tank can be handy. I have a cheap 3 gallon Mastercraft (store brand) with a 85psi cut-in and 100psi cut-out that as far as I recall could handle the rear tire needs. It was likely a bit of a struggle though but OK for topping up. I spent a winter in Florida with the van and would have used the compressor to keep the van and trailer tires at the correct PSI. That was a few years ago but it must have been adequate else I would have replaced it.

The compressor was really handy for filling an inflatable paddle board. That would have been long runtimes because a large volume of air was required. No issues at all running it off batteries and inverter.

It has a permanent place in the van near the rear doors. I had to trim down the top handle so that it would fit. I doesn't move around. It's very loud so I run it inside the van with rear door almost closed.

I probably paid $50 for it on sale. If doing it again I'd probably try to find a quieter unit & higher PSI rating. Measure the space where you want to put it and keep that in mind when shopping.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #5
Silver Member

Thanks Marcopolo. I have a tankless compressor (13x4x4 inches) that is old and sloppy and have been toting it around for years. It will currently inflate to about 40psi on a great day. The manufacturer is no longer in business and parts were proprietary. I have attempted to rebuild, spending way too much time/effort/frustration trying to retrofit parts etc. Just looking for an off the shelf, small (note above size) tankless compressor. This may prove to be unobtainable. I am not looking for leads on parts, suggestions on rebuilding etc.. Just looking for new.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #6
Gold Member

If you just want a small tankless 120V air compressor, google "Campbell Hausfeld 120-Volt Tire Inflator". I have no experience with them and whether they actually put out 150 PSI, but the size & specs looks like what you're asking for. Amazon has one for less than 40 bucks, and HD for less than 50.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
Platinum Member

It is very likely that you could take the tank off most of the small 110v compressors and use it tankless, but as you probably already know, you need to make sure you don't deadhead it. The issue would be how easy it would be to adapt the output from the pump. The will work fine that way in most cases and you just replace the pressure switch with a momentary push button or toggle. The quality of the small end of the compressor size scale products appears to have gotten much worse lately, with very short life and high failure rates, from what I have heard from people who have gotten them lately. Most will struggle or not get to 80 psi.They don't seem to be better until you get into the larger hotdog or pancake style ones, and even they are not for full time use unless a top end contractor one.

All this said, and I know you don't want 12v, the small 12v compressors seem to be getting a bit better as more and more cars come without spare tires and people want them to carry with them. You might actually come out with a better pump and similar price by going with a 12v plus a small inverter if you want to run it on 110v. Plus you then would have the inverter for other things.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I carry one that looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Husky-HY120-I.../dp/B0085X4IZM

I bought it at HD several years ago on sale for $25 and use it to top off tires at 80 psi successfully. At home, I have a Porter Cable doughnut that shuts off at 150 psi. Bought it on sale at Lowes for a hundred bucks a few years ago. With a 25 foot extension cord and the little tire inflator, you will make a lot of friends over the years in remote NF or BLM camping areas.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
I carry one that looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Husky-HY120-I.../dp/B0085X4IZM

I bought it at HD several years ago on sale for $25 and use it to top off tires at 80 psi successfully. At home, I have a Porter Cable doughnut that shuts off at 150 psi. Bought it on sale at Lowes for a hundred bucks a few years ago. With a 25 foot extension cord and the little tire inflator, you will make a lot of friends over the years in remote NF or BLM camping areas.

Of course you will need to make sure you have an inverter big enough and enough battery capacity to service the line of customers way out in the boonies without shore power.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
Silver Member

I always use shore power! Thanks.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #11
Silver Member

The Husky looks perfect! Thanks. As far as out in the boonies...that's why I have FMCA!
Old 11-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Hey Booster, everyone I helped was smart enough to have a generator!!

As I recall, most either had a worn out C or were newbies with their first trailer and never thought about a "lowtar". But they all had generators.

Good point though. When you boondock you have to be a bit more prepared than when you spend your time in more civilized places.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:47 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
Hey Booster, everyone I helped was smart enough to have a generator!!

As I recall, most either had a worn out C or were newbies with their first trailer and never thought about a "lowtar". But they all had generators.

Good point though. When you boondock you have to be a bit more prepared than when you spend your time in more civilized places.

That was good for them, certainly. I am actually surprised the generators all worked.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #14

I use this Ryobi. good to 150psi and uses the same battery as the drill, vacuum and other tools. Ryobi P737 18-Volt ONE+ Portable Cordless Power Inflator for Tires
Jimbo614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #15
Silver Member

Would the Ryobi handle topping off a couple of tires at 80psi on a single battery ? It is an interesting idea.
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #16
Bronze Member

My Leisure travel Class B has air bags on the rear. I am sure I can put an adapter on it and carry a long air hose to fit it. It is pretty quick to inflate the bags and has a pressure gauge in the cockpit where I turn it on.
vwmaniaman is offline   Reply With Quote