Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2021, 11:27 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Air Conditioner Won’t Run on Generator?

We own a 2018 Winnebago ERA 170X. When connected to shore power at a campsite, the A/C works great. But when we’re dry camping or without electricity for some reason, I cannot get the A/C to come on with the generator running. I fire the generator, wait five minutes, then attempt to start my A/C and complete silence. I have other appliances off prior to attempt starting the A/C. One time it came on after the generator had been running 20 minutes or so. I note the Precision Circuits control board shows “AC on”. I also see “Compr Wait” and a two minute countdown. Even if waiting those two minutes and then trying to start, no luck. And I even broke down and read the owners manual. Any suggestions?
theHueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:04 AM   #2
Platinum Member

i was going to say maybe the generators not actually connected-but you say it worked once- so maybe you need a 'hard start capacitor' for the air conditioner.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:24 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Perhaps transfer switch generator <> shore is not working. Do you have power on AC outlets with generator on?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:54 AM   #4
Silver Member

No power at outlets with generator running.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:26 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Seems as your transfer switch is kaput, perhaps wiring. See this video. A way to diagnose is to listen for clicking, as transfer is switching from shore to generator and back it will click.

Edit - I would check if you getting voltage at the generator, if not than generator is kaput.

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:18 AM   #6
Silver Member

The breaker on the generator itself (had to crawl under the RV) was tripped.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:03 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHueg View Post
The breaker on the generator itself (had to crawl under the RV) was tripped.
I recently overloaded my generator by stupidly turning on the Truma heat and hot water, both on high and lost AC. I was thinking there might be a breaker on the generator but haven’t looked yet. I took a quick look and saw what looked like a key lock on the generator, hopefully the breaker is not locked up as I don’t have a key. Can I get to the breaker without a key?
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:07 PM   #8
Silver Member

What appears to be a key hole may actually be what mine was, a large slotted fastener. Rotate with a slotted screwdriver, open door, and put a finger inside downward and flip the switch.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:15 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHueg View Post
What appears to be a key hole may actually be what mine was, a large slotted fastener. Rotate with a slotted screwdriver, open door, and put a finger inside downward and flip the switch.
Thanks so much. Mine is also a 2018 so I expect we have the same generator and I will crawl under and check it out. Thinking I needed a key has been making me put it off!
Old 04-10-2021, 03:25 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Thanks again. You took a potentially big job and turned into a two minute fix. And the tip about reaching down for the breaker was really helpful as it can’t be seen.

And since it was so easy I wire brushed and sprayed Rustoleum on the battery and generator brackets.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:28 PM   #11

Thanks to this post I was saved a lot of money and embarrassment if I had gone to the dealer. I found the generator circuit breaker on the generator, Onan 2500, hidden below the start button. You can't see it without removing the access panel, shining a flashlight down the panel area, getting you head up next to the start button and looking down with one eye below the start button. There is a yellow 2" long switch. In was in the down position and needed to be in the up position. A flick of the switch, a start of the generator and now my AC works when the generator is running!
jerryt is offline   Reply With Quote