Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 09:47 PM   #1

Default Airstream Atlas Murphy bed

Anyone seen one in person? Just saw a video on one and it is impressive. Actually to me this is the perfect floorplan for me. At $217k, I don't expect to sell many.
If Winnebago did this floorplan for the $120k range, I would be all over it!
dhc8guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:17 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Yeah, over $250,000......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhc8guru View Post
Anyone seen one in person? Just saw a video on one and it is impressive. Actually to me this is the perfect floorplan for me. At $217k, I don't expect to sell many.
If Winnebago did this floorplan for the $120k range, I would be all over it!
WOW...$250,000 ....I think I'd rather have a Roadtrek E-TREK for $145,000 to $150,000 and save the money..... Also, I understand that Airstream has a 3 year warranty compared to the 6 years warranty from Roadtrek.....

By the way... Winnebago has a one year warranty.... And, while I have seen a Winnebago Navion with the Murphy bed...it's OKAY... but, not in the same class... finishing details on the Navion are not even as nice as the high end Roadtrek RS, CS or E-TREK.....

Look at them for yourself....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:17 AM   #3

I thought I had finally found what I was looking for based on the marketing video from Airstream.. Went to the dealership and I could not believe how badly made it was. Pleasure Way murphy bed model was superior in quality and better price.
mp33golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:32 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Very unfortunate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp33golf View Post
I thought I had finally found what I was looking for based on the marketing video from Airstream.. Went to the dealership and I could not believe how badly made it was. Pleasure Way murphy bed model was superior in quality and better price.
Saw a review of the Airstream Atlas.... looked pretty good... guess you don't really know until you see it person....

I was recently inside the E-TREK... it's VERY NICE...at an RV show.. they wanted to sell it to me for $143,000... I'm fine with my current situation.... don't want more debt...

At $143 k and the extemely generous warranty..... I think it's a good deal, I'm not ready for that.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Saw a review of the Airstream Atlas.... looked pretty good... guess you don't really know until you see it person....

I was recently inside the E-TREK... it's VERY NICE...at an RV show.. they wanted to sell it to me for $143,000... I'm fine with my current situation.... don't want more debt...

At $143 k and the extemely generous warranty..... I think it's a good deal, I'm not ready for that.
I agree with you 100% - you must see it before you buy
mp33golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:19 PM   #6
Bronze Member

"Actually to me this is the perfect floorplan for me."

The Leisure Travel Vans Unity and Wonder models have similar "murphy bed" layouts avail., if I remember correctly. https://leisurevans.com
dhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:38 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default They certainly do have a similar floorplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuff View Post
"Actually to me this is the perfect floorplan for me."

The Leisure Travel Vans Unity and Wonder models have similar "murphy bed" layouts avail., if I remember correctly. https://leisurevans.com
My wife didn't like the Murphy Bed....takes up too much room to walk around the coach in the front...and it doesn't give you a separate seating area.... just a preference...

They're not inexpensive either, but, less than the Airstream Atlas...
Old 06-18-2018, 03:33 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Less money than the Airstream, but top quality... built by people who care. Wonderful company, LTV/EEE

I just wish that they still made a B.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp33golf View Post
Awe, thats disappointing.
I'll go back to my next dream machine, the LTV wonder (all layouts). Too me it is probably there best all around model (price point, features, size etc) Please no one tell me it's a POS. I'll be heartbroken.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:42 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Default It's definitely not a POS..

Quote:
Awe, thats disappointing.
I'll go back to my next dream machine, the LTV wonder (all layouts). Too me it is probably there best all around model (price point, features, size etc) Please no one tell me it's a POS. I'll be heartbroken.
It's certainly beautiful... Don't expect anyone to say otherwise...

Couple of things.. I met someone who has this... ask about a spare tire..he was promised one and didn't get it...

Keep an eye on the roof.. ask about the seam warranty...

Expect 15 MPG... it's a Class C.... there's no such thing as a B Plus...

I love the space... ask what the extra weight limit is for carrying passengers and gear with all fluids, fuel, water , propane tank all filled... You might be surprised so it's better to know in advance....
Old 06-19-2018, 01:48 AM   #11

Quote:
It's certainly beautiful... Don't expect anyone to say otherwise...

Couple of things.. I met someone who has this... ask about a spare tire..he was promised one and didn't get it...

Keep an eye on the roof.. ask about the seam warranty...

Expect 15 MPG... it's a Class C.... there's no such thing as a B Plus...

I love the space... ask what the extra weight limit is for carrying passengers and gear with all fluids, fuel, water , propane tank all filled... You might be surprised so it's better to know in advance....
I assume your talking about the
Wonder and not the Atlas. Yeah, I read some people having unrepairable (or cost prohibitive leaks in the roofs of the unity's. Seems like all the sprinter chassis's are heavily weight restricted.

So far I have only been impressed with the Crossfit as far as true class B's. I want to see a Paseo in person.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:58 AM   #12
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:

So far I have only been impressed with the Crossfit as far as true class B's. I want to see a Paseo in person.

If you want to see a Paseo, you better hurry. I heard it is being discontinued.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
That's hard to believe they would do that after a two year run.
Maybe they are going to do a redesign?
Position it better between the Era and Travato line.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:16 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Default It's the dashboard that I don't like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Too confining in the front cabin... Paseo side seating in the rear doesn't appeal to me...and it's a gasoline engine...... I drove a Ford Transit and was not impressed.... sorry....

Saw some 2018 online for $90,000... maybe some of you would like it...

https://www.rvt.com/Winnebago-Paseo-...58820-UX151085
Old 06-19-2018, 04:43 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Default The Airstream Atlas is $300,000 with tax, license and registration...

Quote:
I assume your talking about the
Wonder and not the Atlas. Yeah, I read some people having unrepairable (or cost prohibitive leaks in the roofs of the unity's. Seems like all the sprinter chassis's are heavily weight restricted.

I'm sure that it's wonderful... could still be a problem with the roof down the line...
Unrepairable leaks in the Unity??? That's horrible if true...I presume you mean too expensive to fix..? All relative isn't it?

Again, the space is great.. but, I purchased an RV for traveling and touring... don't want complicated roof seams.... I almost purchased a Winnebago Navion...then the sales guy says that the roof is guaranteed for 10 years... but, not the seams.... Yikes...the seams are the roof... who's he kidding..?

That was a major consideration for me... I wanted something simpler...I'm not saying that the Class B is never going to leak... but, it's much less likely than any Class C roof...and all of these B pluses are really Class C's...

The Airstream Atlas is one hell of a rig....it's priced way over $200,000 and I'm sure you can get it lower.. but..how many people are going to walk in and hand them a check for $225,000... plus taxes... that's another 10 percent...or $22,500... If you finance it over 20 years consider it to be a half million dollars...

YES.... I know you can't take it with you..... heard all that.... thanks...
BUT...this is a depreciating asset.....and you lose a lot of money driving off the lot and much more in the first three years.....

I'm fine with my 2012 Roadtrek RS Adventurous.... not upgrading anytime soon...I think it's pretty nice already.....

What a damn shame about the Leisure Travel Unity... I personally know someone who has this coach... later in the year I'll ask him if I see him... doesn't live near us.... I'm really surprised to hear that there's been problems out there with a coach of this reputation..

One thing I do like about Roadtrek... they only build Class B's.... Leisure Travel used to make Class B's...wonder why they stopped??

I'm NOT impressed with the quality of the lower quality Hymer Carrado..and some other low priced models....The CS, RS and E-Trek seems to be the flagship models of Roadtrek...they seem to have a higher quality control.. just my opinion...saw them at a recent RV show...

Don't know why you mentioned the heavily weight restriction...you didn't mean the Class B's like my RS Adventurous?? I can load an additional 3,000 pounds of people and cargo...I'll never reach this ....The dual wheels in the back really make this a very strong vehicle for weight capacity....total gross vehicle weight is just over 15,000 pounds.....

Maybe you were referring to the Unity or Atlas with the larger coach on the back?? Yes, I've heard that there are some Class As like the Thor Ace where you can't put much more weight on the rig after you've loaded up all the fluids......other Class A's as well with tons of space ... limited weight capacity.....
Old 06-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:

Don't know why you mentioned the heavily weight restriction...you didn't mean the Class B's like my RS Adventurous?? I can load an additional 3,000 pounds of people and cargo...I'll never reach this ....The dual wheels in the back really make this a very strong vehicle for weight capacity....total gross vehicle weight is just over 15,000 pounds.....

Maybe you were referring to the Unity or Atlas with the larger coach on the back?? Yes, I've heard that there are some Class As like the Thor Ace where you can't put much more weight on the rig after you've loaded up all the fluids......other Class A's as well with tons of space ... limited weight capacity.....
That 15,000+ lb number for the Sprinter is the GCWR which includes the weight of something being towed. The GVWR of your Sprinter is 5,000 lb less than that...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Quote:
Just recently, I've heard some grumbling about LTV quality control issues. They used to have a pretty decent reputation, so I wonder if this could be the result of rushing vehicles thru production to meet higher demand ? If you're interested in their products, it'd be a good idea to keep an ear to the ground on their owners' Facebook page, forums like this, etc...

I like the Wonder myself, and heard that they were going to offer a rear twin bed floorplan, which is our favorite floorplan for their Unity model. So I hope the QC issues, if they're really a thing, are just a blip on the radar and not a continuing concern.
dhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Looking initially at the unity is what my wife started with in her 18-month quest. Funny to see we we landed but also shows how this really is, or should be a very well planned purchasing event.

She was for sure going to buy a Unity MB her first 2-months of the journey.

This being said we really thought the fit/finish of LTV was really good. She next migrated to the Free Spirit SS. Finally to a 144".

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #19
Platinum Member

I am surprised that the Atlas is so expensive... there doesn't seem to be anything remarkable about it to demand such a price vs the competition (Leisure Travel Vans, Pleasure Way wide bodies, Coach House). Am I missing something or is it all about the Airstream brand premium??
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:25 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
That 15,000+ lb number for the Sprinter is the GCWR which includes the weight of something being towed. The GVWR of your Sprinter is 5,000 lb less than that...

The Sprinters come in three GVWR's 8550, 9900 and 11030, depending on model.

Roadtrek Adventurous RS1 - your Sprinter likely has a GVWR of 11,030 lbs. Have you weighed your van? It probably weighs over 9,500 lbs empty. So you can carry about 1,500 lbs, not 3,000.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream