Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2020, 01:07 AM   #1

Default Aktiv 2.0 loft

My family wants to buy a class b with loft that can be off grid for at least 24 hours. We were looking at aktiv 2.0 loft but then read the company went bankrupt in 2019. Can anyone comment on how this might affect getting repairs or service in the future? If I buy one, am I setting myself up to be frustrated with future repairs. I don’t have an ounce of mechanical fortitude so def need to be able to get service.
Kdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:22 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdale View Post
My family wants to buy a class b with loft that can be off grid for at least 24 hours. We were looking at aktiv 2.0 loft but then read the company went bankrupt in 2019. Can anyone comment on how this might affect getting repairs or service in the future? If I buy one, am I setting myself up to be frustrated with future repairs. I don’t have an ounce of mechanical fortitude so def need to be able to get service.
Welcome to the forum Kdale!

It's complicated, but suffice it to say you are correct and the Aktiv 2.0 you mention will have zero factory warranty, some limited availability of parts, and should only be considered if you can get a steal price (whatever that is) as it is an orphan. The same goes for Carado Axiom models.

However, there are loft models from several manufacturers available as that style is making a comback. Good news for you.

Check out these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...pers+with+loft
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You are correct that the Hymer and Carado lofts have only the Promaster warranties left. I would avoid them if you have little mechanical skill. With little skill, you probably should do as I have done, keep to a rig with a simple system. Avoid fancy lithiums and automatic generator starts and even the demand water heaters. Those three seem to provide the most issues for us non-mechanical/techie types. (like me)

As to a mere 24 hours off-grid, that is easy... as long as you don't plan to run an air conditioner. Of course, most loft models have no AC anyway. You can easily do 24 hours with an AGM battery or two, and propane.

Are you planning new or used? There are few used out there right now other than the Hymers. But there are a couple new options that are based on the same floor plan. Winnebago has the Solis and the Thor Tellaro.

Personally I would avoid Thor as they have quality control issues. Winnebago has the advantage of a large dealer network.

There may be others that I haven't noticed.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:39 PM   #4

Appreciate the advice. We would need to have an ac as we would often take our frenchie (dog) and would likely need to leave her in the van at times and would need to make sure she had some level of temp control. I know the Solis does not have an AC. I haven’t checked on Thor but given ur statement maybe I should avoid them anyways. Sounding more like a loft maybe not be the best idea.
Thanks again!
Kdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:59 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Kdale, Class B campervans with popup lofts usually don't support an air conditioner unit. If A/C is a 'must-have", consider other designs.
However, here's a well-designed popup campervan, the Pleasure-Way Tofino. https://pleasureway.com/models/tofino/
Old 07-15-2020, 06:50 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdale View Post
Appreciate the advice. We would need to have an ac as we would often take our frenchie (dog) and would likely need to leave her in the van at times and would need to make sure she had some level of temp control. I know the Solis does not have an AC. I haven’t checked on Thor but given ur statement maybe I should avoid them anyways. Sounding more like a loft maybe not be the best idea.
Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZCamperVan View Post
Kdale, Class B campervans with popup lofts usually don't support an air conditioner unit. If A/C is a 'must-have", consider other designs.
However, here's a well-designed popup campervan, the Pleasure-Way Tofino. https://pleasureway.com/models/tofino/
I can't remember the brand and model, but one of the new popups has a roof ac on the rear just behind where the roof pivots.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:46 PM   #7
Gold Member

That would be the Thor Sequence 20A / Tellaro 20AT twins.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:25 AM   #8
Bronze Member

I could tell you as an owner of a Hymer Aktiv Loft 1.0 that the undermount A/C is not very good. So if reliable A/C is a must for you because of your pet, I would go for something else. We have a couple of air cirtulating fans to help with that. You would also have to be comfortable paying for repairs out of pocket. Majority of the parts can be obtained. The Promaster chasis would still be under warranty. You can probably get a good deal on a used Hymer Aktiv Loft, but you would have to be Ok with the items I outlined above.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:41 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
I could tell you as an owner of a Hymer Aktiv Loft 1.0 that the undermount A/C is not very good. So if reliable A/C is a must for you because of your pet, I would go for something else. We have a couple of air cirtulating fans to help with that. You would also have to be comfortable paying for repairs out of pocket. Majority of the parts can be obtained. The Promaster chasis would still be under warranty. You can probably get a good deal on a used Hymer Aktiv Loft, but you would have to be Ok with the items I outlined above.
Could you tell us a little more about the problems you have seen?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:48 AM   #10
Platinum Member

If you go to this page, Sportsmobile have an option;

https://sportsmobile.com/heating-cooling-sprinter/

The Internal Mount Danhard A/C (o) is popular for owners that have a Sportsmobile with the Penthouse expandable Top, because a roof mount A/C cannot be used, or the owner does not want to add height to the van with the roof mount.

When running A/C with pets in the van, we highly recommend the optional temperature paging system.
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:50 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Here is a link to the manufactuter who specializes in this;

Danhard Inc. Air Conditioning and Heating for Specialty Vehicles
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 01:57 AM   #12
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Could you tell us a little more about the problems you have seen?
For example we had a problem with the Truma Combi where it would work sometimes and not others. The Eco Trek Lithium batteries were not wired correctly to the inverter which was the way they came out from the factory. We had Dan Neeley come out and fix those items. While he was fixing those items he found some others things which he also took care of. He is very thorough and specializes in Hymer/Roadtrek repairs. I would highly recommend him. We also had an issue with one of the gas struts for the loft went bad and needed to be replaced. Things can be fixed, you can do it yourself if you can, or can hire somebody if its more involved.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:03 PM   #13
Lou
Platinum Member

I think you would need a generator to operate an air conditioner off grid.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I bought a Thor Tellaro 20AT with SkyBunk in June. It is a copy of the Hymer Aktiv 2.0 Loft. Build quality has been good and no major issues after 12 days of camping and 3000 miles. I realize it is still early days. The biggest issue we have had is with the curtains - they use magnets to attach to the door frames and don’t hold well. Nothing a little Velcro can’t fix. I also sealed up every hole in the chassis where a cable, hose, or wire bundle went through. That’s it so far.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:38 PM   #15
Bronze Member

The 2021 Winnebago Solis 59PX built on the Promaster 3500 chasis has the loft and rooftop A/C. They also added a gasoline powered generator. Still no inverter.

FitRV video of the new Solis 59PX

Old 07-24-2020, 11:53 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I am impressed. No nonsense design for a young family of 4/5. I noticed that Southco M1 cabinet latches are getting popular.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote