Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default ALL van power from one source

We may have seen something about this before as it appears they have been teasing it for a while.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/12/succe...car/index.html

1000 mile range in a car, so maybe 500 in a B, 5 minutes to fillup, all the power you would ever need to have everything in the van electric, including the engine.

Too good to be true?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

That would be my thoughts.
k1hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #3
Platinum Member

is it april first already?

residents of SoCal know Hyperion as large regional sewage treatment plant to the South of LAX

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:54 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
is it april first already?

residents of SoCal know Hyperion as large regional sewage treatment plant to the South of LAX

mike

When I looked a couple places, including their website, they are now saying August, so we are there...again?
Old 08-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default Random Response

Hyperion is one of my favorite Dan Simmons novels.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:26 PM   #6
Silver Member

Hydrogen fuel cells are quite mature, technology-wise. Just like with EVs, the infrastructure is a huge limiting factor. Otherwise, as far as the vehicle ... it's really no different than electric propulsion for any other EV: Fuel cell+tank or batteries, it's still electrons flowing. I believe Nikola motor is also working on a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, GM and Toyota have POC a vehicle, etc.
The really fun stuff for something the size of an RV ... you could split the hydrogen out of water onboard to fill your tank, all you need is your fresh water tank. There is work being done all the time to find a suitable and cost efficient catalyst to make this a reality (not just for RVs, obvs).
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:47 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCO View Post
you could split the hydrogen out of water onboard to fill your tank, all you need is your fresh water tank.
...and a source of a huge amount of energy.
There is no free lunch.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:43 PM   #8
Silver Member

Everyone I've spoke with experience in alternative fuels, has said that the hybrid and all electric vehicles will be with us for about 20-30 years and then hydrogen will be the norm. While the technology exists, governmental regulations and public acceptance will delay the process.
terance13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:10 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCO
you could split the hydrogen out of water onboard to fill your tank, all you need is your fresh water tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
...and a source of a huge amount of energy.
There is no free lunch.

I think I would go the other way and fill the fresh tank off of the water from the cell.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:53 PM   #10
Silver Member

Toyota has been selling the Mirai for a while with interesting technology to store and transfer the hydrogen. The problem, though, is the shortage of hydrogen stations. I wonder how far off home hydrogen generation might be. Of course, everything has to be foolproof since a hydrogen leak would be deadly. Fuel cells, though, whether hydrogen or propane are my pick to make boondocking in RVs more workable. I think they are very close to market.
stevegoldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegoldfield View Post
................I wonder how far off home hydrogen generation might be.......................
Perhaps further away than propane powered fuel cells.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:43 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default Propane Would be the Fuel of Choice

But, there doesn't seem to be a commercially available fuel cell that runs on propane.

Hydrogen at the pump currently comes from processed natural gas and requires a tremendous amount of energy to produce, with one of the byproducts being CO2. Green it's not.

I live where Mirais and Claritys are common, but there are only three fueling sites anywhere near me.

About a year ago, an explosion at a hydrogen plant (Air Products) left drivers without any way to fuel their cars for months. Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai had to provide their customers gasoline-powered loaners for the duration.

Batteries are far simpler technology and their power densities are increasing all the time. I think we'll have battery electric-powered RVs long before fuel cell powered ones.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:10 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Hydrogen can be produced by water electrolysis, simple but high energy demand. If green energy would be used it would be carbon neutral. However, hydrogen has energy of about 40 kWh/kg, about 100 miles, which would require 50–55 kWh of electricity, you would get oxygen for free.

Commercially available LPG powered fuel cell is a dream for years. Methyl alcohol powered fuel cell are possible but fuel is expensive.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:39 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We may have seen something about this before as it appears they have been teasing it for a while.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/12/succe...car/index.html

1000 mile range in a car, so maybe 500 in a B, 5 minutes to fillup, all the power you would ever need to have everything in the van electric, including the engine.

Too good to be true?
Hydrogen has always been more appealing to me than battery electric vehicles, but most of the auto industry has made its choice for the future and it is definitely electric vehicles (with a few exceptions). So there is no nationwide fueling infrastructure for hydrogen and that alone makes basically irrelevant for most people, especially for RV owners who will need to refuel all over the country and beyond. Although, I guess you could make your own hydrogen, but it might be tough getting approval to do so in your garage lol.

Superconductor technology is another one to watch. They aren't as far off as I thought, although they will be absurdly expensive when the finally do come to market.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote