Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
I took a look at the standard float voltage for the AGM profiles on the three chargers (solar, inverter, and aux alternator) that are used in an Ecotrek van and all have a Float voltage of 3.4 volts so if the Ecotreks were not fully charged when the charger went into float they would get to 96% charge which I think is close enough for their typical usage scenario.
Not sure if you meant 3.4V or 13.4V or 13.6V.

Does Roadtrek supply an inverter owner manual when you purchase one of their RV's with other than the Tripp-Lite inverter?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Not sure if you meant 3.4V or 13.4V or 13.6V.

Does Roadtrek supply an inverter owner manual when you purchase one of their RV's with other than the Tripp-Lite inverter?
Typo, 13.4v, I fixed it...

Of course they don't provide a manual, this is Roadtrek we are talking about

There are manuals for the inverters and solar controllers in their generic versions on the web. Roadtrek says these units have been customized for them but has never stated what types of changes have been made. One time it was mentioned that the changes were made to meet "required standards" whatever that means...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:26 PM   #23
Platinum Member

I've noticed an improvement in a wet cell that I've had on float for years after switching to 13.4V from 13.1V in a 68F environment. It looks to have gained a 1/10 of a volt. It used to rest at 12.6V when taken off a Battery Minder for 24hrs rest. It is now stored connected to a Samlex at 13.4V. I used it to jump start the lawn tractor and then checked the voltage a day later and it was 12.7V
Old 10-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Typo, 13.4v, I fixed it... ----------------------
Looking at the table here again: Charge voltage experiments with lithium iron phosphate batteries showing how capacity varies with charge voltage and higher cycle live with lower charge voltage

13.4V / 4 = 3.35V per LiFePO4 cell

Choosing the G-series from the table shows:

3.3V = 30% (13.2V)
3.4V = 98% (13.6V)

You'd have to be certain that your meters were very accurate if limiting voltage. 3.35V per cell might get to 65% capacity.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Looking at the table here again: Charge voltage experiments with lithium iron phosphate batteries showing how capacity varies with charge voltage and higher cycle live with lower charge voltage

13.4V / 4 = 3.35V per LiFePO4 cell

Choosing the G-series from the table shows:

3.3V = 30% (13.2V)
3.4V = 98% (13.6V)

You'd have to be certain that your meters were very accurate if limiting voltage. 3.35V per cell might get to 65% capacity.
I don't worry about it at all, I have two AGMs and a Tripp-Lite inverter

For the owners of Ecotrek vans, I expect you are correct that there is not much assurance that the chargers are actually getting 13.4v or higher in float and if you were depending on float to do the final charging you might not be getting that result. As has been pointed out, in most cases the Ecotreks may be getting adequate charge before the chargers ever go into float...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote