Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2022, 01:49 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I went in the opposite direction down to 19 ft. Van but did not give anything up. Actually gained a bigger private wet bath with a 31” sq. shower pan.

You have a great van but you did compromise. As I recall, you fit everything in primarily by having bunk beds. That is a huge space saver. It just comes at the cost of having 2 single beds. There is nothing wrong with that but that is a compromise that a lot of couples would not choose to make in their vacation RV. Again, there are always decisions and compromises.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:38 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Franz View Post
Before I ran into the HOA situation which led me to the Roadtrek, I also kicked around the idea of recreating the Vanagon Westy in a promaster 136 inch wheelbase. That was a great layout in that it had the large open area in lieu of an aisle - which I agree leads to the claustrophobic effect which we have been mentioning.

For those who are unfamiliar ....

Attachment 12764
Kurt,
Another former Westy owner here. Pleasure-Way Tofino is an incarnation of the Westy on a Promaster. Tradeoff is no bathroom, but room to carry a cassette potty. https://pleasureway.com/models/tofino/
Old 05-12-2022, 10:13 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Franz View Post
Before I ran into the HOA situation which led me to the Roadtrek, I also kicked around the idea of recreating the Vanagon Westy in a promaster 136 inch wheelbase. That was a great layout in that it had the large open area in lieu of an aisle - which I agree leads to the claustrophobic effect which we have been mentioning.

For those who are unfamiliar ....

Attachment 12764
Having experience with two Westfalias, 1977/1985 we went back to the future with our current layout. And we love it. We just came back from Oregon State Park Beachside enjoying the view in cold and windy weather. Westfalia layout is by far our best choice for a camper van, spacious, very open suiting well out needs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Layout final daytime dim.jpg (145.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Layout final night time.jpg (131.1 KB, 15 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:36 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Thanks for the kind words, Davydd. It was also a pleasure to tour your van and meet you and your wife. I'm still salivating over the materials used on your rear screen. I've seen a lot of screens, and that's by far the best I’ve ever seen.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:56 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Davydd. It was also a pleasure to tour your van and meet you and your wife. I'm still salivating over the materials used on your rear screen. I've seen a lot of screens, and that's by far the best I’ve ever seen.
We will be at ARV today. I’ll try to find out the source. They are custom made in their shop.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:06 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
You have a great van but you did compromise. As I recall, you fit everything in primarily by having bunk beds. That is a huge space saver. It just comes at the cost of having 2 single beds. There is nothing wrong with that but that is a compromise that a lot of couples would not choose to make in their vacation RV. Again, there are always decisions and compromises.
Yes, the bunk beds are the most controversial aspect of the design and perhaps would work better with a single traveler. We like them as they remind me of train travel, have privacy if one partner wants to read in bed at 1 AM, individual fan and light control, and with walls both sides you cannot fall out of bed. Also, bedding preference. My wife likes a bed with sheets and blankets and I am good with sleeping bag.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:02 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I can understand the train travel connection. Sometimes there's just a special feeling…

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:28 AM   #28
Platinum Member

I received another comment today from a person at ARV Fesr that reminded them of the bunk beds on their sailboat.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Old 05-14-2022, 01:39 AM   #29
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Having experience with two Westfalias, 1977/1985 we went back to the future with our current layout. And we love it. We just came back from Oregon State Park Beachside enjoying the view in cold and windy weather. Westfalia layout is by far our best choice for a camper van, spacious, very open suiting well out needs.
If I were a single guy - not saying that I wish I was - I would order one these Tofinos right now and hit the road. I am fine with no shower and I think I would rather use my porta pot I bought for my popup instead of dealing with the black water tank. I like the fact that you get a ladder! Beats stepping up on the countertop and improvising your way upstairs

I almost converted mine to a subaru, but being air cooled it was just a bit too much. Sold it in about a week to a young couple who told me they were going to see America. Hope they had a good time.

www.roadtrek190.com
Kurt Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:19 PM   #30

I agree our 190 had a better layout but the truck was done so we got a new 2018. The thing I miss most is the extra seat behind driver.
Jack1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:32 PM   #31
otr
Gold Member

Interesting set of thoughts, we have a 2000 190v, several years ago some folks with a roadtrek built on a sprinter chassis were very excited to give us a tour, it was claustrophoc to us,
The ceiling angled in, and the cabinetry closed us in,
It's all personal!
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:39 PM   #32
Bronze Member

Default Vintage Roadtrek

I recently brought a 2001 Dodge Roadtrek Versatile. I chose this model because of the 4 front seats & the rear dinette. I’ve been to many RV shows & do not like the newer Roadtreks. Since the bathroom is now enclosed the aisle space was sacrificed. I had to turn sideways to get to the back. Another reason I liked vintage is that you can open the bathroom doors to get room separation. I like that I can separate the front from the middle or back. I also like the color & cloth seats. Most new class b’s are either brown, beige or white. Also not a fan of leather. Needed to buy a cover so not to burn the back of my legs in the summer.
I’m very happy with my vintage Roadtrek.
ChristyCappello is offline   Reply With Quote