Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Another Travato K Clone

I was putting together a list of what to see at the Tampa show and stumbled across this new offering from Coachmen - the Nova 20 RB <https://coachmenrv.com/class-b-motorhomes/nova>. It looks to have just been displayed as a prototype at the Las Vegas Dealar's Assn show.

The only videos I have found to date on this are and

The display model had what look like dual-pane acrylic windows and the Coachmen flyer says that the fresh and black tanks (no mention of grey tank) are inside the heated space, so I'm guessing they are aiming somewhat at the adventure van snowboarding set.

So that's one more item on my list of things to check out in January.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Like the openness of the Travato floorplan. And at least they are installing awning type windows. Sliders are no good in any kind of rain (and you still need ventilation), but so many Promaster and Transit builds are coming out with the OEM sliders.

Our older rv with awning type windows and a Maxxfan (has a permanent cover that Fantastic fans lack) roof vent , you're never without good ventilation. It has saved us multiple times from being inside a sticky, stuffy rv when boon docking and rain shower hit.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It looks rather like a Hymer Aktiv was crossed with a Carado Banff. LOL Fancy European windows... nicer looking cabinetry than the Travato.

Oddly I had just encountered this rig this morning on the Coachman website. There might be more info there for those that are interested.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
…so many Promaster and Transit builds are coming out with the OEM sliders.
There are no OEM sliders for the PM. The only OEM glass in PM's is fixed.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
There are no OEM sliders for the PM. The only OEM glass in PM's is fixed.
Makes me scratch my head even more if the upfitters are replacing OEM glass and not making them awning style.

We make trips that last on average 3+ weeks. Every trip has benefited on at least one or more occasions from being able to open windows during a rain shower.

In our Chevy Express, both OEM back door windows flip out from the bottom and both upfitted side windows are awning style. That surrounds our sleeping area with 4 windows that can be opened in nearly any weather and they can take advantage of whatever direction the wind is blowing. All are right about head-height when the rear lounge in down as a bed. This allows us to feel even the slightest breeze which makes sleeping more comfortable.

If the natural breeze is not enough, the Maxxfan can be left open even in pretty severe rain events, so ventilation is never a problem. Every time I drool over the newer class b's, I wonder if it would be worth the loss of 270 degrees of all-weather windows we have now. So far, I can't imagine going without that feature.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Makes me scratch my head even more if the upfitters are replacing OEM glass and not making them awning style.

We make trips that last on average 3+ weeks. Every trip has benefited on at least one or more occasions from being able to open windows during a rain shower.

In our Chevy Express, both OEM back door windows flip out from the bottom and both upfitted side windows are awning style. That surrounds our sleeping area with 4 windows that can be opened in nearly any weather and they can take advantage of whatever direction the wind is blowing. All are right about head-height when the rear lounge in down as a bed. This allows us to feel even the slightest breeze which makes sleeping more comfortable.

If the natural breeze is not enough, the Maxxfan can be left open even in pretty severe rain events, so ventilation is never a problem. Every time I drool over the newer class b's, I wonder if it would be worth the loss of 270 degrees of all-weather windows we have now. So far, I can't imagine going without that feature.
Hey rowiebowie, that is no big deal. If you purchase a new one, just borrow one of Elon's Steel Balls.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:52 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
.....................Every time I drool over the newer class b's, I wonder if it would be worth the loss of 270 degrees of all-weather windows we have now. So far, I can't imagine going without that feature.
Exactly, for us it is 360-degree view. With one awning window and Maxxair we have good air exchange. On occasion I use a little SS prop allowing for cracked open rear door but still locked (still need a rear screen). I am glad that more manufacturers are paying attention to open layout.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Hey rowiebowie, that is no big deal. If you purchase a new one, just borrow one of Elon's Steel Balls.

Bud
Now, Bud!

I wonder how (or if) those windows open. Guess we'll know in 2021.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #9
Platinum Member

What’s really ridiculous is when they paint the panel black to imitate the look of full windows from the outside.

I also crave the 360° view, but I chose Motion sliders—the biggest that would fit. They appear to be higher quality than the CRL's, and are easier to operate. Tern, etc., are too small. We spend a fair amount of time in the rain. We can usually open windows because the opening part is on the underside of the window’s angle.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Not sure that it is ridiculous, it does create a cleaner look.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Our Paseo has the OEM Transit windows, which are pop-out, not sliders. They pop out towards the rear so they can be opened while traveling and water won't come in. But when sitting still, if there is wind, then some water can come in. Our solution to this has been to just pop the awning out about 18 inches - enough to provide cover for the door and window, but not enough to get caught by wind.

Generally if it is raining, it isn't stinking hot. So one window popped out (on the awning side) and the MaxxAir fan going is usually plenty of ventilation.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #12
Bronze Member

It's nice, but IMHO the:

2020 Thor Sequence

beats 'em all for features, price, and real, full size Promaster windows!

My DIY Promaster has full OEM-style non-opening CRL windows all around, and the open feel is perfect... I have a Maxxaire at the back, and two vents I put in the front windows - the air flow is just right.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Coachmen tried to copy the Travato 59K but missed in a few areas:

1) That large white wall on the left of the entry door blocks the view out, and is somewhat unwelcoming in appearance.

2) Front seats don't have a flip or pullout table that can be used for dining or computer space to expand the overall living area.

3) Both beds are 2" narrower, and 6" shorter on the passenger side than the Travato.

4) The above cab storage space opening is restricted by whatever that panel is.

On one positive note, they did mount the shower curtain on a track. Don't know why WGO does not do that.
bobcat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:55 PM   #14

Default Nova vs. Travato

The advantages of the Coachmen Nova is that it has a much larger fresh water tank than the Travato. 30 Gallons vs. 18 on the L models. Also, the Nova has multiplex wiring and a better stove.
LillyVANSHTUPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:06 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyVANSHTUPP View Post
The advantages of the Coachmen Nova is that it has a much larger fresh water tank than the Travato. 30 Gallons vs. 18 on the L models. Also, the Nova has multiplex wiring and a better stove.
Welcome to the forum Lilly!

I do like the extra fresh water tank size. But every rv is a compromise. Class b's are the ultimate compromise.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:01 AM   #16

Placing the system controls in the overhead cabinet above the galley isn't ideal IMO. You lose an entire cabinet in what is already a small space.
kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:51 AM   #17

Default Another Travato K Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat66 View Post
Coachmen tried to copy the Travato 59K but missed in a few areas:

1) That large white wall on the left of the entry door blocks the view out, and is somewhat unwelcoming in appearance.

2) Front seats don't have a flip or pullout table that can be used for dining or computer space to expand the overall living area.

3) Both beds are 2" narrower, and 6" shorter on the passenger side than the Travato.

4) The above cab storage space opening is restricted by whatever that panel is.

On one positive note, they did mount the shower curtain on a track. Don't know why WGO does not do that.
This is a better design all around:

https://coachmenrv.com/class-b-motor...yond/22RB/5192

They flipped the beds, the longer bed is on the drivers side, shorter on the passenger.
The wall on the passenger side allows for the microwave to be moved, additional counter space with a receptacle (great for coffee maker), and more kitchen storage.
Having a massive entry doorway is just a waste of space. This is a solid solution.

The induction burner is awesome.
Excelwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:08 PM   #18
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltk1 View Post
Placing the system controls in the overhead cabinet above the galley isn't ideal IMO. You lose an entire cabinet in what is already a small space.
I agree. Could they not have put those controls in the panel space above the door? I understand that they are replicating the Beyond 22RB design, but on the Nova that space is completely blank.

The specs say that the Nova has two Lagun mount points, but I only see the one between the beds. Perhaps behind the driver's seat to act as a front lounge table and counter extension?

It's too bad this was a no-show on my list to check out at the Tampa show, along with Embassy. I like the apparent build quality of Coachmen compared to Winnebago or Thor.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:08 PM   #19
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelwpg View Post
This is a better design all around:

https://coachmenrv.com/class-b-motor...yond/22RB/5192

They flipped the beds, the longer bed is on the drivers side, shorter on the passenger.
The wall on the passenger side allows for the microwave to be moved, additional counter space with a receptacle (great for coffee maker), and more kitchen storage.
Having a massive entry doorway is just a waste of space. This is a solid solution.

The induction burner is awesome.
I mostly agree except for TV location.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote