Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Another wheel option for the Chevies

The thread about Michelin dropping the Defender tires in the van sizes got me going back for another look at what options would be for "alt-sizing" the wheels and tires, to see if something might work out better that way. We have found in the past that there are very few wheels available for the Chevies that have the correct, or close enough, offset. This includes the Roadtrek installed aluminum wheels which are way off at -6mm, 0, or +8mm. Factory steel wheels are +28 offset.

Here is a link to Hubcap Haven that shows options for a 2009 Silverado that shows all the factory wheels that will fit our vans also, including the stock steel ones. A few years of pickups used the same offset.

https://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/7502/c...eels_rims.html

If you stick to stock size tires of 245-75-16, you have two options with a steel wheel and one aluminum wheel.

If you want to go oversize to 265-75-16 you have only one steel wheel as an option.

Several of us have done the 265-75-16 size to get the extra load capacity of them for extra "headroom" before maxing out. You get about 300# per tire more capacity.

There is also an aluminum wheel shown in 17" size that would fit the vans and allow a 265-70-17 tire to be used. They are the same diameter as the 265-75-16 oversized tires at about 1" bigger than stock. They also have more capacity than stock, but more like 150# per tire or so.

Nice aftermarket aluminum wheels have been hard to find that have the right offset and large enough load capacity, especially at the higher ratings the upsized tires give.

I did a quick look while doing the tire discussion research, I did come across an option that is quite good in an aftermarket wheel for the 17" size tires.

https://www.visionwheel.com/wheel/52...?finishID=1097

+25mm offset in the 17" size, only +15mm in 16" though so probably lower than I would like. Huge load capacity at 3650# so plenty there. Also come in chrome and black. I have a set of Vision wheels on my old Buick Roadmaster and the quality looks to be very good for moderately priced wheels. You can get 17X8 wheels for the van for about $130 each including wheel center caps, so very inexpensive.

For us, when we need tires, it would be tempting, but not sure I want to give up some of our extra load capacity, when we need tires in a relatively short time. I do like the look of them.

The normal "rules" say that lower profile tires will give slightly better steering response and slightly rougher ride, which for us would be good and bad in the same order.

Now we just need someone to Photoshop them onto a Chevy B to see what they would really look like!
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
Platinum Member

My Avenue came with Alcoa wheels. They're doing fine although I never considered offset.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0137.jpg (244.2 KB, 19 views)
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
My Avenue came with Alcoa wheels. They're doing fine although I never considered offset.

If you have one off, look at the inside of the wheel and see if it is marked. It is common on the better wheels to be marked with size, offset, and load rating. My guess is that it will be a zero or -6, but nothing is for sure in this kind of thing.

It appears to be this wheel,

https://buytruckwheels.com/collectio...alcoa-aluminum

The specs don't list offset, but they mentioned "inset" which is negative inset per what I found for a definition. That would make the wheel a -6mm offset which is very common in older rear drives, but not for the Chevies since the model update in 2003. This makes the tire 34mm or nearly 1 3/8" further outboard on every wheel. This is plenty enough to mess up the steering geometry and also will put more wear on wheel bearings. -6 is what the AR wheels that Roadtrek used were, also, and what we had.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:14 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Dear Booster, many thanks for below attached as on your previous response. its really make me happy as work very well.

Jill Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Ellis View Post
Dear Booster, many thanks for below attached as on your previous response. its really make me happy as work very well.

I just noticed that the link did not carry the model year with it, so you would need to select that in the box a bit down the page so you get the correct wheels for the 2003 and up Chevies. 2009 selection should give the right ones at 28mm offset.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:26 AM   #6
Gold Member

couple years later... Wondering if anyone has installed the 17" wheels and what they thought?
Old 03-14-2023, 05:28 PM   #7
Platinum Member

There’s not many choices for nicer rims that I’m seeing.

I like the smooth look GM hummer H2 17” rims also like the hub caps covering the nuts.

There was a used set for sale down in Panama city,FL a few months ago.
Man had 285-70-17 truck tires yes Hummer rims on a silverado which are smaller than the stock Hummer H2 tire which is 315-70-17 however this tire’s max PSI is 65.

I thought the truck tires would have been to big. I also think the stock express tires appear small.

I believe the roadtechs have a close match American racing rims which have a -6 offset. ?1.What is the orginal GM express vans steel rims offset?
?2.what is the orginal GM Hummer H2 offset?
?3.is the hummer H2 8 lug the same pattern as the express?
?4. is offset how far the rim sticks out?
?5.can the 2 above rims differ any to either ruin handling or improve handling?

The American racing rims:
I’m thinking the small ingravings surrounding rim collect brake dust an are hard to clean?

My tires have 90% tread so I’m not in a rush to upgrade rims.
But these steels have gotta go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg american racing rims.jpg (130.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg hummer H2 17x8.5.jpg (128.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-14-2023, 08:41 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBRAIN View Post
There’s not many choices for nicer rims that I’m seeing.

I like the smooth look GM hummer H2 17” rims also like the hub caps covering the nuts.

There was a used set for sale down in Panama city,FL a few months ago.
Man had 285-70-17 truck tires yes Hummer rims on a silverado which are smaller than the stock Hummer H2 tire which is 315-70-17 however this tire’s max PSI is 65.

I thought the truck tires would have been to big. I also think the stock express tires appear small.

I believe the roadtechs have a close match American racing rims which have a -6 offset. ?1.What is the orginal GM express vans steel rims offset?
?2.what is the orginal GM Hummer H2 offset?
?3.is the hummer H2 8 lug the same pattern as the express?
?4. is offset how far the rim sticks out?
?5.can the 2 above rims differ any to either ruin handling or improve handling?

The American racing rims:
I’m thinking the small ingravings surrounding rim collect brake dust an are hard to clean?

My tires have 90% tread so I’m not in a rush to upgrade rims.
But these steels have gotta go.

I think both of the rims you listed will have the wrong offset for a Chevy Express which uses and oddball +28mm offset. IMO if buying new wheels getting right offset is important.

If you don't know what offset is, there are lots of diagrams and explanations online to look at. Just search "vehicle wheel offset" and you should get them.
Old 03-15-2023, 12:14 AM   #9
Gold Member

thansk Brain, but the question is, has anyone installed 17" wheels and what were the results?
tlillard23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 12:29 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlillard23 View Post
thansk Brain, but the question is, has anyone installed 17" wheels and what were the results?

AFAIK nobody has to this point, which is a bit surprising when I think of how many different people have asked about 17" aluminum wheel availability over the past few years.

I thought about it when we got our new tires for the wider 16" steel wheels that use the 265-75-16 tires, but I didn't want to give up much of the load capacity boost the 16" tires gives over the stock tires, as the 17" are over the stock tires but not nearly as much as the 16" are. Every time I have to lift those big steel 16" rim wheels onto the van I do question that decision, though.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:13 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think both of the rims you listed will have the wrong offset for a Chevy Express which uses and oddball +28mm offset. IMO if buying new wheels getting right offset is important.

If you don't know what offset is, there are lots of diagrams and explanations online to look at. Just search "vehicle wheel offset" and you should get them.
OK I'll study up on the hummer h2 rims the tire rack rims had many different choices on off sets from -6 to -19

mite be best decision to get the road tech rims who makes them?

thanks
Old 03-15-2023, 10:56 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBRAIN View Post
OK I'll study up on the hummer h2 rims the tire rack rims had many different choices on off sets from -6 to -19

mite be best decision to get the road tech rims who makes them?

thanks

I don't think you were paying attention.

-6 to -19 is offset in the wrong direction.

You need +28 offset on the Chevy.

You are talking about a 1 3/8" error on every wheel, or more.

Please read up on what offset is before dropping more unrelated and wrong offset wheels into this discussion which is on one of the very few wheels with the correct offset. There are plenty of discussions of Chevy wheels on this forum addressing the issues so probably should read up them before moving on with your ideas.

Please start a new thread if you want to just throw unrelated wheel stuff out.