Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2019, 02:29 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Any Advice?

My DW and I are going to the Plesenton show in N-Calf, we (I) have been researching, driving, and reading a lot about all the different brands. My research has lead me/us to possibly purchase a Coachmen Galleria Li3 if the price is right at the show.
Can anyone give me a good reason not to?? Please don't be shy, spending over 100K on an adult toy goes against my instincts.
B-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:39 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I do not own a lithium rv, so any opinions I state are my own based solely on what I've read on this and other forums.

Most who have purchased them (or converted to lithium) are happy with their rvs. Just consider that new technology brings some increased potential for glitches, so factory support/warranty would be good thing to educate yourself on.

Now, the following advice is applicable to any new rv purchase and it sounds like you're well into your research. Look at various models before you decide. Drive them, spend some time in them on dealer lots to see if the layout "feels right" for you. There are big differences between say Winnebago Travato GL and KL lithium models on the Promaster chassis. Similarly, there are many differences between the Coachman and say Roadtrek and Pleasureway lithium models on the diesel Sprinter model.

Search this forum for posts on the Travato and Roadtrek Etreks.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:43 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Thx!
2-1/2 years of research, driving, and investigating leads me to the Coachmen B.
If anyone has researched close to the time I’ve spent, please chime in.
B-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-RV View Post
Thx!
Coachmen factory support is outstanding, both pre and post sale. There is a Galleria Facebook group, if you'd like first hand owners' feedback.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694449227542056/
DUTCH in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
Coachmen factory support is outstanding, both pre and post sale. There is a Galleria Facebook group, if you'd like first hand owners' feedback.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694449227542056/

I will second the comment on Coachmen's customer service. No RV is perfect, but overall we have been very happy with ours.

We looked at a Galleria and liked the quality of the conversion, but the Sprinter chassis had issues and having had a Mercedes in the past, I didn't want to sign up for expensive and difficult-to-obtain repairs.

Your profile says you are in AZ. We did our price shopping over the internet and traveled to Scottsdale RV to buy because they had the cheapest price in the country. Also, National Indoor RV Centers has great reviews from the folks on the Crossfit group who have bought from them. Not sure you need to drive to Pleasanton to get a good deal.

Good luck in your search.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thx!
My search was only a year & a half.

Sounds like you're in the "looking for best price" mode. That's a good place to be since you can focus on that factor only.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
Platinum Member

We have Roadtrek lithiums (400) and we have been fortunate in 2 years. We have read horror stories from others. We like that we "think" we can get:

400 Lithium x 80% = 320 AH
300 (Solar) = 70AH
Total ~390 AH

Not good with the conversion but something like 6 agm's vs 2 lithiums....I think.....

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thx!
Researched for 18 months, then waited 13 months for our awesome Safari Condo Promaster XL Flex.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:21 PM   #9

We have not purchased a van yet, but have looked at the Galleria and the CrossFit side by side. Our take away, the Galleria is a bit nicer but not $20,000 nicer.
semdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:08 AM   #10
Platinum Member

So much depends on if you are one of the folks that puts value in the Mercedes chassis. That is essentially the difference. Many opinions both ways on that here.

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 01-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #11
Platinum Member

OP, you didn't state your usage goals. Your question would be easier to address more fully if you describe how you intend to use whatever B you buy.

People run the usage gamut from casual weekends in campgrounds, to major off-grid forays into the unknown. My husband and I bought a conventional rig, realized quite quickly that it was utterly insufficient for our needs, and then spent a couple of years DIYing upgrades (solar and lithium among them). It's really important to match the rig's capabilities to the job that you intend it to do. We did not know that when we were newbies.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Great advice. My wife spent 18+ months and it all came down to how she envisioned our traveling habits. The vehicle selection "semi" takes care of itself once you determine habits and use.

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 01-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Default Lithium and solar in my 2017 pleasureway (pw) ascent

I shopped for a couple of years before I bought my Ascent. It has 190w solar and 2-100Ah Lithium ion batteries (supposedly equivalent to 400 amp hours of AGM battery. In addition, the 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter provides 120 vac even without shore power. You can power a toaster oven or even a small electric heater. Reading the Class B Forum, you seldom if ever see issues with the PW system.

I noticed that PW will be at the Pleasanton RV show. If you go to the shows website, you see all of the PW models' info/brochures or go to
https://pleasureway.com. Good luck and enjoy the show....Ralph
RalphAscent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:58 AM   #14
Bronze Member

I purchased a Galleria B April of 2018. It is the model with 4 captain chairs and the full reclining to a bed sofa in the rear. It has the big AGM battery, 2000 watt charger/inverter, 2500 watt generator. A lot of initial problems but as of today it is a great coach. The battery lasts a long time as long as you don’t use the inverter a lot. The Mercedes alternator usually gives it 14.2 volts when driving so it changes fast. Sitting still for a few days would require full sun for the solar panel and running the generator.The Mercedes diesel gives me a little under 20mpg and runs great.
As stated before they have a dedicated customer service representative who is extremely knowledgeable and helped me immensely. The biggest problem I had was the aluminum wheels on the front. They were junk and made the coach shake really bad. The Chinese company no longer supplies them to Coachmen.
Kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:37 PM   #15

Hi there, saw a 2019 Crossfit at the Tampa Show last week and was impressed with the features. Only concern I had was with the bathroom door. While this bathroom is a good bit smaller than, say, that on the PW Lexor, I could live with it except had difficulty with the “flap” sticking out from the inside of the doors. I guess that wooden flap is there to keep shower water from going out where the two doors meet. But, if I positioned it correctly, it stuck out far enough inside the bathroom to be intrusive. Also saw gaps in the corners of the doors. Have you showered in yours and what are your thoughts?? Would love your insights about the bathroom and the rest of the coach as it is a compelling option for me!
Thanks for your time!
RobynQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:43 PM   #16

Hi Alex, I wrote to you earlier and you sent a great, detailed reply to my questions about your SC. Am wondering how things are going with your van now that you have had it for a while and whether you have had any service work performed? How do you handle service work on it? Does SC reimburse you for warranty items? Also, what is the warranty on a SC? How many years? Any concerns with the Promaster? I am STILL researching and keep coming back to PW and SC. Tried to make the Travato stay on the list but just feel the G model is too claustrophobic and convoluted to walk around in. Sigh. Need to make a decision sooner than later. Also, do you know how to switch the SC website to English? I must be missing a button to click—pathetic on my part! Hope you are well and having great travels. You certainly have a terrific RV for whatever roads you traverse!! Be safe and joyful travels to you and your family!
RobynQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:16 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynQ View Post
Only concern I had was with the bathroom door. While this bathroom is a good bit smaller than, say, that on the PW Lexor, I could live with it except had difficulty with the “flap” sticking out from the inside of the doors. I guess that wooden flap is there to keep shower water from going out where the two doors meet. But, if I positioned it correctly, it stuck out far enough inside the bathroom to be intrusive. Also saw gaps in the corners of the doors. Have you showered in yours and what are your thoughts?? Would love your insights about the bathroom and the rest of the coach as it is a compelling option for me!
Thanks for your time!
The wooden flap is folded out and wedged against the inside knob to make the bathroom a couple inches bigger while you are inside. It works well for that. As far as the gaps, an inside shower curtain is supposed to be the solution. I've not tried it yet. Too cold.
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote