Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Any Allstays Pro users on PC?

The old campground books are now useless and Allstays isn't available for Android, so not much choice anymore for us in an app or reference source for finding things.

The Allstays free on the website is quite incomplete and mostly just campgrounds, it appears.

We are thinking of giving the Pro a try to see how it goes as this is probably going to be a tough year for finding available places to go and stay.

One question I have is related to a statement they make on the website.

Quote:
offline use with Google Earth,

I would assume this means the Pro data fully downloads to the PC, but I thought Google Earth required you to be online to use. How does this work?

All in all, though kind of expensive, are you happy with the Pro?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:40 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have Allstays on my android phone and use it all the time to check for campgrounds around areas I want to stay. There is also Park Advisor app for android. I do not have the Pro edition.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
I have Allstays on my android phone and use it all the time to check for campgrounds around areas I want to stay. There is also Park Advisor app for android. I do not have the Pro edition.

I just looked again and didn't see any Android apps in their apps listings, only Apple.

The website has an area that you can find campgrounds, but not much else, and is free.

The added features of the Pro like hiking trails, dumpsites, etc is interesting.

If the Pro, like the phone apps I think, needs an internet connection to find things, that is a downside to me. It would be much better if the databases were stored on the laptop so usable all places. This is the same reason we use a standalone GPS for navigation.

It looks like it would be a two step process for us to find place we want to go on the laptop in Pro and get it to the GPS. First copy the GPS location from Pro and then copy into Basecamp as a destination. Basecamp can then be used to transfer the destination to the GPS. Other option would be to type in the location to GPS, which might be faster but more error prone probably.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:07 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have used Allstays on the iPhone for years, but didn’t know Pro exists. What extra do you get that justifies the cost?

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
I have used Allstays on the iPhone for years, but didn’t know Pro exists. What extra do you get that justifies the cost?

I didn't dig much into that as we don't have Apple stuff so you have to go to the website, I think. The free on the website appeared to be only campgrounds, but that is as far as I got beyond that the Pro had quite few things in it beyond that. Worth the price, questionable to me, but probably handy to have these days of packed everything, everywhere.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:31 PM   #6

I have Allstays Pro. I paid for it to get access to the downloads of the data in order to put them on my GP. They are available from the Explore Allstays Pro page.

The downloads are available in various formats including GPI (for garmin GPS units), GPX. KML and CSV.

They can also be loaded into Basecamp directly and you can then select which ones to download to your GPS.

I usually take the CSV files and subset them for the areas we will be traveling to and then convert them to GPX and upload them to my GPS.

The use of Google Earth is also explained on the Downloads page, but it is not really practical due to cacheing ambiguity.
magnells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:57 PM   #7
Platinum Member

The Allstays app can sometimes be useful even without internet. Although the map doesn’t show, it still shows my location in relation to nearby possibilities, and sometimes farther if I can follow a line of campgrounds that I know are on my route. Interestingly, the Pro, which depends on a website, would not be able to do this.

I'm wondering, though, whether Pro might be a way to bring maps back to my beloved MotionX app, which is no longer supported and has lost its Open Street Maps. If I could import a GPX file containing trails to MotionX, that could be huge.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:04 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Since you can download some of the data with Pro, could the camground, dump stations and other things be put into a file or folder in Basecamp so it would be available on the laptop without the internet?
Old 05-27-2021, 12:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Since you can download some of the data with Pro, could the camground, dump stations and other things be put into a file or folder in Basecamp so it would be available on the laptop without the internet?
Yes. You can load the data into Basecamp as waypoint data.
magnells is offline   Reply With Quote