Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #21
Bronze Member

Booster - thanks for analysis of ability of alternator to keep up with AC unit needs. I would not have thought about that and don't want to fry the alternator. I plan to try fans first as the roof unit is very load anyway.

Original poster - asked about build Quality of Simplicity. I also forgot to mention the window curtains. Poorly attached and aligned. Screws stripped and coming out. I had back panels screws strip as well on their own. Nothing a trip to hardware store and larger fitting can't take care of, but disappointing. Fit RV shows a good solution for replacement that looks cleaner and simply to use.

My wife made that comment that they just threw it together. I agree on some points. I figure they pre-drill holes then put a screw in that is just a tad small, leading to issues I am seeing. Nothing major yet.
aturner1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:17 PM   #22

I have a 2018 RT Simplicity purchased in June 2018. Like others there have been little annoyances like screws that dont seem to fit right. Specifically on the rear door bracket that holds the dinette table in place. On my trip home from the dealer, the sliding pantry door kept opening and closing like an accordion. The latch is of poor quality. I bought a marine latch on amazon and it works/looks great! Our Norcold fridge has not worked right since we purchased it and is currently being serviced under warranty. But, refrigerators and rv's are notorious for their inconsistency so Im assuming it will be better following repairs. We did replace the white ac shroud on top with a black one. It was odd to have so much black trim on the simplicity and have a white ac shroud. Looks much better. I like the simplicity of the vehicle overall. Seems like decent quality for the price.

Oh and the grey water backs up into the shower; grey water only. I have learned i need to "burp the system" before driving. Burping means I open the gray valve and allow the water to drop. Seems like there is an airpocket preventing the waste water to drop all the way down into the holding tank. Burping has elminated the system backing up into the shower/toilet floor
RTVancampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:59 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTVancampers View Post
I have a 2018 RT Simplicity purchased in June 2018. Like others there have been little annoyances like screws that dont seem to fit right. Specifically on the rear door bracket that holds the dinette table in place. On my trip home from the dealer, the sliding pantry door kept opening and closing like an accordion. The latch is of poor quality. I bought a marine latch on amazon and it works/looks great! Our Norcold fridge has not worked right since we purchased it and is currently being serviced under warranty. But, refrigerators and rv's are notorious for their inconsistency so Im assuming it will be better following repairs. We did replace the white ac shroud on top with a black one. It was odd to have so much black trim on the simplicity and have a white ac shroud. Looks much better. I like the simplicity of the vehicle overall. Seems like decent quality for the price.

Oh and the grey water backs up into the shower; grey water only. I have learned i need to "burp the system" before driving. Burping means I open the gray valve and allow the water to drop. Seems like there is an airpocket preventing the waste water to drop all the way down into the holding tank. Burping has elminated the system backing up into the shower/toilet floor
Welcome to the forum RTVancampers!

Glad to hear you're getting your Simplicity staightened out. It seems most have some issues, so you're not alone. This is a good forum for when you need (or perhaps can offer) advice.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:03 PM   #24
Silver Member

Hi
I'm contemplating the Simplicity myself. (After being badly let down on a private sale)
Couple of questions,
Overall are you happy with it?
Do you like how it drives?
Did you get it from Mike Thompsons RV & if so how are they to deal with?
Thanks
Macodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:10 PM   #25

Default Build Quality

I am concerned about all of the build quality issues I am hearing about here. I just bought a new Simplicity myself, although I bought it sight unseen. I am in Albuquerque and the unit has to be driven up here from Phoenix Arizona. There is a large tax reason to buy it this way.

So my conclusion is that I am just going to buy what ever screws and doodads I need.
Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:21 PM   #26
Silver Member

Update - After going to see it, it's ok but i didn't love it. Spending that much money i want to feel more than 'meh it's alright'. Guess i'll keep looking.
Macodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:36 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature View Post
I am concerned about all of the build quality issues I am hearing about here. I just bought a new Simplicity myself, although I bought it sight unseen. I am in Albuquerque and the unit has to be driven up here from Phoenix Arizona. There is a large tax reason to buy it this way.

So my conclusion is that I am just going to buy what ever screws and doodads I need.

I'd say Roadtrek build quality should not be your greatest concern. Roadtrek is no worse, and maybe better, than other makes & models of class b's when it comes to build quality and tried and true systems it uses. But with any model, be prepared to tighten a few screws at a minimum. No big deal.

Where Roadtrek got into some major problems (beside going out of business) was their pioneering Lithium ETrek system that was not ready for prime time. So your main concern is going to be checking out the particular Roadtrek you've purchased. If all systems do not pass inspection (do not operate properly), don't buy it until those issues are fixed as you have zero factory warranty on Roadtreks proprietary features. Appliances should be covered by their manufacturer, but should be working properly at time of purchase.

If your model doesn't have the Etrek lithium option, that's probably a good thing in the long run. In that case it will have one or two lead-acid batteries and may or may not have the Onan gas generator. Upgrading to two lead-acid batteries should be considered as "money well spent" upgrade.

What dealer are you purchasing it from? Other forum members may have experiences with them to share with you. Tell the dealer you are driving a substantial distance with the expectation that THEY have thoroughly checked and can assure you all systems are working as new.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:39 PM   #28
Site Team

I personally would be VERY concerned about RT initial build quality. Airstream as well. Materials and appliances are fine (excluding the science experiments). But build quality has been second rate for many years, considering the price point. QA and hurried assembly issues, mostly. Nothing that can't be fixed, but expect a lot of time and attention in the early years of ownership.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Simplicity is just that... simple. No lithiums, but only one small AGM. Get the right price and add a second battery and solar, and you are good to go. The underhood generator is also useful. I've had mine for near to a year and only had to replace a couple of the leds (they flickered) and a couple cabinet latches. (they're crap) I like that it has the Suburban furnace and hot water tank.

I did just get my recalled underhood generator replaced by Nation's Starter... the maker. I delayed the replacement and got caught up in the Receivership, but the RT supplier helped me out with this.

Used Simplicities (and probably all models) need to be checked out. I checked one out on the lot in La Mesa in Mesa for a friend... and it was horribly abused for only being a year old. I wonder if this is the same one that Macodiva looked at.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote