Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Any Turtle Top Class b owners out there?

I'm wondering about the quality of these class b's
I've had 2 class b's and I really like the compactness of them.
I've seen a few Turtle Tops for sale, mostly the 17 footers which I like.
The ones I've seen have no propane, only electric. Most of them have no generator.
I live in florida so I can get along without a propane hot water heater but not sure about being without a generator to run the roof air when parked during the summer.
For coffee, if I'm not plugged in, I suppose I could use a portable propane stove and an Italian coffee maker. In the picture attached is a portable propane stove.
Don't really need a shower but I saw this Turtle Top with a shower setup (see pictures).
There is a permanent commode in some of them, sometimes a porta potti.
I would prefer to have one with a black water tank but that may be hard to find.

I don't plan on doing much boondocking but a generator to run the roof air would be nice for a day trip and to park somewhere and be comfortable, esp. here in Florida in the summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00202_bc1b6rwtdMp_600x450.jpg (19.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 00a0a_b4LyD6VBltF_600x450.jpg (34.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 00z0z_crRYqd7LxxG_600x450.jpg (19.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 00m0m_jtsvS9D11Ny_600x450.jpg (35.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 755a6e138b39cb3e5e15c88ef3e949c8.jpg (498.3 KB, 26 views)
shoalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:18 AM   #2
Silver Member

I think if I lived in Florida I would hold out for a unit with a generator and roof air conditioner! The turtle top you show is a nice unit for cooler climates.
sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:59 AM   #3
Bronze Member

I have to agree, a generator is needed to power the roof air. A lot of the units have roof air but no genset. Also, after I thought about it, since they don't have a propane system then there is no refrigeration unless plugged in to shore power.....they only have 12 volt/110-volt refrigerators. The 12 volt mode is useless unless while driving

I think that the Jayco class b's are the same setup as the turtle top campers.

The 80' and 90's 18 foot Xplorers at least have a propane system and some have gensets.

The Roadtrek 170's are the trick but very high priced.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:11 PM   #4

Default For what its worth.

Two cents worth from an old-old RVer who has been there and done that. My advice is don't buy a unit without AC or a generator. Also my opinion is the Roadtreks are worth the extra cost, besides they hold their value really well.
fmallin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Living in Texas, no A/C or generator, no deal.

Unless budget is a major issue, I personally avoid half-measures. This means no makeshift toilet/bathroom/shower. I want a true bathroom with a black tank (or if pressed, a cassette toilet), a shower with a gray tank, and decent appliances.

There are arguments for/against propane, but I am quite for it, because it has a lot of energy density, and gives more energy for the space displacement for heating than electrical appliances. Plus, it is a lot quieter to boil water on the stove for coffee than it is to fire up a generator for microwaving. However, in Florida, heating needs are minimal, so an all electric vehicle definitely works.

Across the board, any/all self-contained class "B"s will hold their value, assuming the shower/toilet/fridge/microwave/electric system/plumbing system are in working order. Roadtreks are the foremost brand, but any "B" that has the above, there is someone out there who will buy it. The reason I emphasize self-contained is that without the subsystems, there is a good chance people won't bother buying it, because they can just buy a SUV instead for a cheaper price. One RV dealer has had a Sportsmobile with a partial upfit on their lot for years, and it will not move. Other Sportsmobile models have come and gone, but because that one didn't have any real amenities, it just sits there.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Default Mur van 18 feet

Here's a good example of a self contained 18 footer. Generator, propane stove, propane fridge, propane heat, pressure water, basement ac, flushing toilet w/holding tank etc.
A lot lower in height than a Roadtrek 170 due to having a basement air conditioner. It has 6 feet of headroom in the kitchen area. This is accomplished by having a deep dropped floor. It has a Dinette in the rear that folds down into a double bed. These are harder to find than the Roadtrek 170.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0g_800.jpg (82.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 5Q_800.jpg (100.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 9g_800.jpg (119.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg dw_800.jpg (54.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #7
Platinum Member

You must mean 18'

If that doesn't have a pop up it is going to be very short inside.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
You must mean 18'

If that doesn't have a pop up it is going to be very short inside.
Well, 6 feet of headroom in the kitchen area, no pop top. Most of the time one is sitting down in a class b, not standing up. If one is claustrophobic then it's not for everone. I've had 2 class b's and I want something that's easier to park. I tried to buy one of these from a person in the Keys and he wouldn't part with it.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoalster View Post
Well, 6 feet of headroom in the kitchen area, no pop top. Most of the time one is sitting down in a class b, not standing up. If one is claustrophobic then it's not for everone. I've had 2 class b's and I want something that's easier to park. I tried to buy one of these from a person in the Keys and he wouldn't part with it.
It must have pretty deep dropped floor, which is a nice feature you don't see any more, except for the Roadtrek Chevies.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
It must have pretty deep dropped floor, which is a nice feature you don't see any more, except for the Roadtrek Chevies.
Yes, very deep. Deeper than the 90's RT21 Chevy. I almost bought one. Way deeper than my Leisure Travel and Pleasureway.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
Living in Texas, no A/C or generator, no deal.

Unless budget is a major issue, I personally avoid half-measures. This means no makeshift toilet/bathroom/shower. I want a true bathroom with a black tank (or if pressed, a cassette toilet), a shower with a gray tank, and decent appliances.

There are arguments for/against propane, but I am quite for it, because it has a lot of energy density, and gives more energy for the space displacement for heating than electrical appliances. Plus, it is a lot quieter to boil water on the stove for coffee than it is to fire up a generator for microwaving. However, in Florida, heating needs are minimal, so an all electric vehicle definitely works.

Across the board, any/all self-contained class "B"s will hold their value, assuming the shower/toilet/fridge/microwave/electric system/plumbing system are in working order. Roadtreks are the foremost brand, but any "B" that has the above, there is someone out there who will buy it. The reason I emphasize self-contained is that without the subsystems, there is a good chance people won't bother buying it, because they can just buy a SUV instead for a cheaper price. One RV dealer has had a Sportsmobile with a partial upfit on their lot for years, and it will not move. Other Sportsmobile models have come and gone, but because that one didn't have any real amenities, it just sits there.
As far as resale value if you buy cheap then you can resell cheap. I've seen several of the Turtle Top class b's in the $4000 range. I'm not really on a budget but I'm in the Florida Keys and I don't have a garage, therefore I don't want to spend a lot of money on a class b that will deteriorate rapidly due the salt air here. I live 2 blocks from the ocean. The Leisure Travel that I had I sold because of an ongoing rust problem.
I included the makeshift shower in the picure because I thought it was a clever idea. Actually, in my previous class b's, I never used the inside showers. I think an outside shower is more useful for rinsing off your feet and in my case rinsing off after a swim in the ocean.
It all depends on your situation and what the class b will be used for.