Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 01:15 AM   #1
g1g
Platinum Member

Default anyone else have this problem

on a number of occasions when I get my rig out of storage the front disk brakes are hung up and I must take them apart to free the calipers from the mounting brackets. it is a 95 Coachman which I got about 10 years ago and I had to do this about half the time. It is stored in a heated garage. Did anyone else have this problem and anyway to prevent it other than drive it more often
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:32 AM   #2
Platinum Member

pistons can seize in the bore if there is water in the fluid- rust.

is your brake system flushed of old fluid ?

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:03 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
pistons can seize in the bore if there is water in the fluid- rust.

is your brake system flushed of old fluid ?

mike
The brake systems use a lot of different styles of "sliders" so it is nearly impossible to give a generic fix. You need to look at what guides the movement of the caliper, and then see what is making it not slide. It can be pins, dovetails, blocks, etc. Take the pads out, and you should be able to move the caliper back and forth easily by hand, until it hits the piston.

Lots of folks think that if you just beat the caliper with a mallet until it moves a bit back and forth, you have freed up the caliper, but you will find this is not the case. You need to find the bound up location, and file, sand, ream, derust, etc to get back to a free state, with high temp grease to help it last. Some styles still need yearly maintenance, others will go several years, but you do have to keep on top of it. Sitting in storage in a moist atmosphere is one of the worst cases you can have.

If you keep the calipers freed up, and the fluid changed regularly, calipers can last decades , but it does take some work.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #4
Platinum Member

What is happening is called flash rust. It occurs when unprotected metal meets moisture. There doesn't have to be a lot of moisture for this to happen.

Treat the brake rotors when you park the vehicle with a product like Eastwood Fast Etch which will leave a coating of zinc on the rotor. When taking the vehicle is picked up you can again spray it with Fast Etch.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote