Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #1

Default Anyone Know When a 2020 Transit AWD will be used in a Class B or B+ Build?

With a gas ecoboost
Hank Van Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hank, Leisure Travel Vans are excited about building (B+/C) on the 2020 Ford Transit with all the bells and whistles. Here's their news release..... https://leisurevans.com/blog/new-202...it-highlights/
Old 01-21-2020, 02:17 PM   #3

Thanks, I wonder when that might be available, maybe later this year?
Hank Van Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Van Life View Post
Thanks, I wonder when that might be available, maybe later this year?
Hank, you "wonder" when? The release says LTV plans to build their 2021 "Wonder" model on 2020 Transits.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
jon
Platinum Member

Pleasure Way is offering the Ontour based on the Transit chassis and on the Class B Forum someone wrote:
Thank you Jon. We have been keeping our eye on this unit. We have heard there will be AWD possible in December. We live in N Idaho and that would be something we would appreciate. There is a You Tube video that a couple did from a rough tour of both the 2.0 and 2.2. They both look great.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:34 AM   #6
Silver Member

My ModVans CV-1 based on a 2020 Transit chassis is on order and I'm expected to get it in April.
rothskeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:27 AM   #7

Pleasureway OnTours to date use the 2019 Transit. No 2020 Transits from them until April or later is what we heard.
n3ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:58 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I was curious about Ford Transits and went to the Ford website to "build" a van and the only build they allowed was passenger vans. I couldn't bring up a cargo van. Same issue with MB Sprinters. They still default to 2019 and some of the information options have gone away.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:06 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Hank Van Life!

"When" is the big question for the latest Transit and Sprinters for several reasons (scarcity due to big purchases by corporations and diesel engine re-certifications).

I hope the answer is sooner rather than later. Lots of innovation and changes coming. These are exciting times in the class b market.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:36 AM   #10
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I was curious about Ford Transits and went to the Ford website to "build" a van and the only build they allowed was passenger vans. I couldn't bring up a cargo van. Same issue with MB Sprinters. They still default to 2019 and some of the information options have gone away.
You just weren't looking in the right place, Davydd. The cargo vans are in a different place on the web site than the passenger vans, and the 2020 builds are there. Look under "Vehicles > Commercial Vehicles", not under "Vehicles > Trucks & Vans".
Old 01-25-2020, 04:39 AM   #11
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
"When" is the big question for the latest Transit and Sprinters for several reasons (scarcity due to big purchases by corporations and diesel engine re-certifications).
The diesel engine question is pretty much irrelevant for the Transit; while they do offer a diesel engine, the gas engines are much more attractive and have no need for such certifications. And yes, Amazon has been buying up a lot of vans, but as I said above, my Class B builder started receiving 2020 vans some weeks ago. So "when" is essentially now.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothskeller View Post
My ModVans CV-1 based on a 2020 Transit chassis is on order and I'm expected to get it in April.
Rothskeller, I’d love to get your thoughts on your Modvan CV-1 if you have it now. My husband and I are very close to making a final decision to purchase one, but we really want to get some feedback from owners of them, if possible. We live in NC, so it’s tough to travel out to California to take a look at them in person. Anything you don’t mind sharing about yours, good or bad, is very appreciated!
npeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:19 AM   #13
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npeast View Post
Rothskeller, I’d love to get your thoughts on your Modvan CV-1 if you have it now.
I'm afraid I don't have it quite yet. It was due in April as mentioned above, but then COVID-19 happened, and Ford shut down the Transit manufacturing plant for two months. They're back open now, and my chassis has been manufactured and is currently in transit out to ModVans. They expect to start the conversion before the end of the month and I'll probably have the completed van around the end of July. I can't wait!

Obviously I can't say much about the van itself, but I can say that working with ModVans has been very smooth. P.J. and Laurie have their act together, for sure. No qualms about working with them.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:25 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Van Life View Post
With a gas ecoboost

They are super hard to find but the Transit AWD chassis has be out for a short while. My friend in Memphis owns one of the first to be released and absolutely loves it. The AWD is fully automatic and unlike a Sprinter, the Transit can shift 100% of the power to just the front wheels if needed. Best part is the available Raptor turbo diesel engine and a 10 speed transmission. This is the same engine as the overseas Ranger is equipped with so it really moves really well. The technology on this van is unbelievable.

Most important, unlike the Sprinter AWD, the Transit AWD has the same exact "ride Height" as the 2 wheel version, so the chassis sits low to the ground for improved handling when carrying an RV conversion.

Regards - Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raptor.jpg (168.0 KB, 10 views)
IdleUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:18 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
They are super hard to find but the Transit AWD chassis has be out for a short while. My friend in Memphis owns one of the first to be released and absolutely loves it. The AWD is fully automatic and unlike a Sprinter, the Transit can shift 100% of the power to just the front wheels if needed. Best part is the available Raptor turbo diesel engine and a 10 speed transmission. This is the same engine as the overseas Ranger is equipped with so it really moves really well. The technology on this van is unbelievable.

Most important, unlike the Sprinter AWD, the Transit AWD has the same exact "ride Height" as the 2 wheel version, so the chassis sits low to the ground for improved handling when carrying an RV conversion.

Regards - Mike
I agree the Transit is a great vehicle with a lot of technology. I plan to get one to replace my Sprinter.

But as I’ve mentioned before on this forum; Ford has dropped the 2.0L turbo diesel from the 2020 and 2021 MY. FYI - it was never slated to be offered with AWD. No idea if they will ever offer a diesel in USA again in 2022.

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/.../#post-1049486
Old 06-26-2020, 12:28 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
No idea if they will ever offer a diesel in USA again in 2022.
I have my doubts that anyone will.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:32 AM   #17
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Ford has dropped the 2.0L turbo diesel from the 2020 and 2021 MY. FYI - it was never slated to be offered with AWD. No idea if they will ever offer a diesel in USA again in 2022.
True — but in my view, no loss. The 3.5L V6 EcoBoost gasoline engine is excellent. And it's beyond me why anyone would prefer diesel at this point. Mercedes has battled months-long delays every year for the past several years trying to get emissions certification for the Sprinter diesels, and the forums are rife with horror stories about maintenance problems with the diesel emissions systems in them. Not to mention that diesel fuel no longer has the cost advantage it once had over gasoline, and the fact that you can't go into Mexico because they don't have the right kind of diesel there, and, and....

One nice thing about the Ford, and the EcoBoost power train, is that it's nearly identical to the F-150 pickup — the best selling vehicle in the U.S. — and there is *nowhere* that you can't get it serviced.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:49 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothskeller View Post
True — but in my view, no loss. The 3.5L V6 EcoBoost gasoline engine is excellent. And it's beyond me why anyone would prefer diesel at this point. Mercedes has battled months-long delays every year for the past several years trying to get emissions certification for the Sprinter diesels, and the forums are rife with horror stories about maintenance problems with the diesel emissions systems in them. Not to mention that diesel fuel no longer has the cost advantage it once had over gasoline, and the fact that you can't go into Mexico because they don't have the right kind of diesel there, and, and....

One nice thing about the Ford, and the EcoBoost power train, is that it's nearly identical to the F-150 pickup — the best selling vehicle in the U.S. — and there is *nowhere* that you can't get it serviced.
I agree with everything you said. I was just trying to get the facts out there that there will be no diesel Transits for foreseeable future or maybe never in USA. Light duty diesels only make sense in Europe where they have a significant economic advantage for now.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:28 PM   #19
JCM

I just received my Wonder RTB from Triple E and in discussing upcoming changes - the AWD will be available for fall delivery.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:50 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Welcome JCM!

Enjoy your Wonder and keep us informed on your adventures. If you hadn't taken delivery now, would you have waited for the all-wheel drive?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote