Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #21
Platinum Member

We are looking at the Solis and Carado Axion Studio as well.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:06 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Another question for Tofino owners - how loud is the heater?
Old 03-03-2020, 06:55 PM   #23
Platinum Member

W9TR/Tom, Our 2010 LTV Free Spirit has a common 2-way, 6 gallon water heater, operating on electric or propane. It's almost on-demand, especially on propane.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Agentwomack - please let me know how the awning install goes. I’d like to consider this option if we proceed with the Tofino. Thanks for sharing all your direct experiences. This info is very helpful.
Tom
As mentioned the mounts needed to be directly mounted to the chassis and the ones Thule makes for Promasters don’t quite fit the Tofino aftermarket top. But a local shop added some small rubber blocks and was able to get everything fitting tight and lining up. After that, attaching the awning was really easy!

(See pics attached)

Cheers!
Agentwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:32 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Thanks - that looks like a very clean installation. It gives me confidence to proceed with a Tofino, still #1 on our list.

Could you give me an idea of how noisy the heater fan is? Our pop-top’s heater was so loud it would wake you every time if fired up.

Tom
Old 03-06-2020, 12:38 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Could you give me an idea of how noisy the heater fan is? Our pop-top’s heater was so loud it would wake you every time if fired up.
Current Tofino models are outfitted with a standard Dometic single stage furnace (actually an old Atwood design, which was then acquired by Dometic). They're single stage, not very efficient, and relatively noisy with a simple bang-bang controller.

However Pleasure Way is now using Truma's Varioheat furnace on newer models such as their Ontour. It has a three-stage high efficiency burner, differential controller, variable speed fan, and night mode for ultra quiet nighttime operation.

Varioheat hadn't been UL certified yet when the Tofino was introduced, however it's been used in Europe for a number of years and shares technology with Truma's ubiquitous Combi system. Since Pleasure Way seems to be moving that direction anyway you might want to ask them when Varioheat will become available on the Tofino.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:20 PM   #27
Ajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentwomack View Post
As mentioned the mounts needed to be directly mounted to the chassis and the ones Thule makes for Promasters don’t quite fit the Tofino aftermarket top. But a local shop added some small rubber blocks and was able to get everything fitting tight and lining up. After that, attaching the awning was really easy!

(See pics attached)

Cheers!
@Agentwomack can you provide any specifics on how the shop you used attached the awning brackets? Did they use rivnuts and, if so, what size? Also, if they mentioned the sizing of the void beneath the sheet metal it would be helpful. Wondering how
Much room there is under there so I don’t accidentally drill into the headliner. Was thinking of a fiamma, but the Thule looks great.

My Tofino is a 2019, I removed all decals as well (I did the dodge decals too). Only other significant changes I’ve made is to add 3-point seatbelts to the back, a clearbra, and plastidip to the wheels and grill. I second all your comments on the Tofino - we love ours.
Ajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #28
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I copied my design from Safari Condo but built on 80/20 Al frame. https://photos.app.goo.gl/JVZNxKpmAm3H5t6X7
Hi, What type of toilet is this? Cassette? Portapotty? Something else?
Vee and Zeekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:28 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee and Zeekie View Post
Hi, What type of toilet is this? Cassette? Portapotty? Something else?
Thetford 402C Cassette toilet. With my spare cassette I have a total of 10 gal. capacity. Most of the time 5 gal is OK. One of the advantages of this model is venting, the vent valve opens automatically upon cassette insertion.

https://www.thetford.com/product/c402c-cassette/
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:46 PM   #30
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Thetford 402C Cassette toilet. With my spare cassette I have a total of 10 gal. capacity. Most of the time 5 gal is OK. One of the advantages of this model is venting, the vent valve opens automatically upon cassette insertion.

https://www.thetford.com/product/c402c-cassette/
Thank you. So, can a set up like this be added to any van? Did you build the addition yourself? I don't have those skills and don't really live in a place where there are people who do this kind of work. I want a van with a toilet but am OK not having a shower. I wonder if there are non-custom RVs (factory made) that have cassette toilet but no shower. I don't mind using campground showers, but not as keen to use public toilets.
Vee and Zeekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:25 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you. So, can a set up like this be added to any van? Did you build the addition yourself? I don't have those skills and don't really live in a place where there are people who do this kind of work. I want a van with a toilet but am OK not having a shower. I wonder if there are non-custom RVs (factory made) that have cassette toilet but no shower. I don't mind using campground showers, but not as keen to use public toilets.
I converted our van from the ground up, I should say from the 2013 passenger van up. It is more or less modular and this cassette was one of the modules. It was the simplest one, just needed two mounting holes in the floor, low current 12VDC wires for flush pump. My vent is over the sliding door step and down.

Any shop should be capable to do this. I used 80/20 aluminum profiles for the frame filled with HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) panels. See the drawing.

You could try contacting Safari Condo from Canada to check if they would sell you one. See attached picture of their cassette housing.

Challenge would be to match color and style with accepting van.
Any van with space on the back side of the passenger seat base should be able to accommodate this toilet.
Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LC-sprinter-int_14.jpg (456.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Toilet 5 12 2014 fasteners.JPG (82.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wonder if there are non-custom RVs (factory made) that have cassette toilet but no shower. I don't mind using campground showers, but not as keen to use public toilets.
Factory made vans with cassette toilets can be counted on one hand... with fingers left over. It is not a popular option as yet. (Europe is organized for cassettes... our facilities are organized for black tanks) Those also have showers, but one needn't use them.

There are older Dodge and Chevy rigs that have black tanks and the shower is in the aisle which means there is a toilet closet instead of a wet bath. It also means that when using the toilet, the door is open and your feet are in the aisle. That wasn't a big deal in my 170 as I travel alone.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:06 AM   #33

Could you please explain or show photos how you added 3pt seatbelts to the rear bench? Want to ensure we can transport out 5yo daughter safely. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajs View Post
@Agentwomack can you provide any specifics on how the shop you used attached the awning brackets? Did they use rivnuts and, if so, what size? Also, if they mentioned the sizing of the void beneath the sheet metal it would be helpful. Wondering how
Much room there is under there so I don’t accidentally drill into the headliner. Was thinking of a fiamma, but the Thule looks great.

My Tofino is a 2019, I removed all decals as well (I did the dodge decals too). Only other significant changes I’ve made is to add 3-point seatbelts to the back, a clearbra, and plastidip to the wheels and grill. I second all your comments on the Tofino - we love ours.
jgmarans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:14 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Ajs - I would love more information about how you added 3-point seatbelts in the rear (pictures too if you would). This, along with rear head restraints, is a big concern I have with this style of campervan.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Be careful with safety belts and don’t repeat Winnebago’s mistake of mounting rear seatbelts shoulder anchors in Era models from 2012 to 2021. If I understand correctly weld nuts were mounted with shoulder on the wrong, belt side.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=20V659#recalls650

Tags
pleasure way, pleasure-way, pleasureway, tofino