Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: Apple Announces CarPlay

Mike,

Starting with Mac OS Mavericks last fall Apple was upgrading the OS for free, no charge from earlier OSes. That is similar to going from Windows 7 to Windows 8 but Microsoft still charges for that kind of jump. That is what I meant about the pressure put on Microsoft.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I see. So, an Apple device can upgrade it's base OS for free? Assuming that it "fits" on the device? So if I buy that Macbook, Iphone, iPad, and a new OS becomes available, I can let the software install on my device, overlaying the original OS? The MS equivalent of going from XP to Win7, or Win7 to Win8?
MS typically includes hardware dependent functions in it's new OS software which sometimes precludes using the same device to update the OS. I guess they are effectively obsoleting old hardware, and increasing sales for their partnered hardware companies. Symbiotic relationship. Since the hardware seems to always be improving, it likely improves the overall performance of both. It's the business model they've chosen, and like I said, they're usually in the top 10 worldwide for market cap. No pressure at all.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #23
Platinum Member

The downside of Apple's model is that once your device falls off the support wagon, no more security fixes. My MacBook (first aluminum model made back in 200 comes to mind. Yes, it runs Mavericks, but I'm sure that the next OS Apple puts out will not work with it, and a year or so later, it will be open season for hackers. So, Apple keeps people on the upgrade treadmill unless they want to just move to Windows or Linux where machine model support isn't an issue.

Of course the iOS market is completely different. Apple's 3 years supporting a device is very good. Most Android devices do not get a single update, -ever-, and the bootloader is locked to prevent unofficial updates, so the device, if it has a security issue (which all Android devices do except 4.5 devices), it can only be chucked. Even if there is an update, unless it is a Nexus device, one might at most get one version newer. Sometimes you can get a device that has an extremely strong unofficial ROM base and CyanogenMod works, but one needs to shop around.

With the fact that refusing to fix security holes makes a device unusable, this is a lot of power a hardware/software maker has.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
The downside of Apple's model is that once your device falls off the support wagon, no more security fixes. My MacBook (first aluminum model made back in 200 comes to mind. Yes, it runs Mavericks, but I'm sure that the next OS Apple puts out will not work with it, and a year or so later, it will be open season for hackers. So, Apple keeps people on the upgrade treadmill unless they want to just move to Windows or Linux where machine model support isn't an issue.
So, it sounds as if Apple and MS do basically the same thing when they do a major OS overhaul/upgrade? MS offers it to owners of the latest existing OS, if it will function on the older hardware. They have a pre-installation hardware compatibility test you can run to see if the new OS will work on your machine. For me at least, it hasn't been the case, I've had to buy new hardware as well. (see previous post about planned obsolescence).

Quote:
Of course the iOS market is completely different. Apple's 3 years supporting a device is very good. Most Android devices do not get a single update, -ever-, and the bootloader is locked to prevent unofficial updates, so the device, if it has a security issue (which all Android devices do except 4.5 devices), it can only be chucked. Even if there is an update, unless it is a Nexus device, one might at most get one version newer. Sometimes you can get a device that has an extremely strong unofficial ROM base and CyanogenMod works, but one needs to shop around.
I was under the impression that Android device software updates from Google, were distributed through the hardware vendor, for compatibility purposes. So if your device is a Samsung, they have the updates for you to download and install, presumably from the Samsung support website. Unless you had an unlocked Android phone, or a Nexus brand model, in which case you get your updates directly from Google. I could be mistaken.

Quote:
With the fact that refusing to fix security holes makes a device unusable, this is a lot of power a hardware/software maker has.
I don't think they're refusing to fix security holes, per se, but rather deciding that as the number of users decreases over time for a particular OS for a multitude of reasons, that it becomes financially less feasible to keep doing upgrades for it. Again, see more at "planned obsolescence, a really good way to frustrate your customers, or just good business sense?".
Old 05-05-2014, 11:51 PM   #25
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
...We rarely listen to the radio while driving, so we're not bothered by that. As for nav devices, I guess that's what co-pilots are for...
My wife and i pretty much drive without _noise_ also, except for the occasional conversation about the passing views or life After 30 years of enjoyable togetherness we are completely content and confident in quiet solitude. That said? She LOVES to drive and i LOVE tech-toys (an iPad Air being my latest addition). It's a match made in RV heaven.

Happy Trails,
Thom
Old 05-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Since my last post, our situation has changed, and we may also add some new techie toys to our travel cargo list, made possible/necessary by the demise of WIN XP. Am leaning towards the Android platform so far, but the research goes on, and on. I'll have something new before the end of the summer. There are so many choices out there for lightweight mobile communications technology.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Today I heard that Pioneer is offering Apple's CarPlay as an option in some of their aftermarket car stereos. It looks like they're adding it to five models via a firmware upgrade. I assume that it will be built in to some of their future models.

http://www.pioneer-carglobal.com/CarPlay/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2456619,00.asp
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:31 PM   #28
Platinum Member

I guess if you're adding a new after market sound system, and you're already an Apple user, you might consider adding the CarPlay feature, as it probably fits into the Apple suite of products.
I don't know whether I would spend a lot of cash on something specifically for a vehicle, unless I were planning on spending a lot more time driving or sitting in it for one reason or another. Maybe, if it had a portability option and didn't have to be plugged in to the vehicle to function. Perhaps like an MP3 type device for music portability. Actually, I don't have one of those, either.
Pioneer used to have a pretty good rep. I haven't followed personal music technology trivia for a few years, so no idea if they are still highly regarded.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Here's a video showing a demo of Apple's CarPlay in an aftermarket "infotainment" system.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/16/pioneer-d ... mer-video/

I remember when cars had things called "radios" with big metal push buttons and a little red needle that slid up and down the dial. Car play was pushing the buttons as fast as you could.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #30
Platinum Member

I don't know much about Apple iPhones, let alone any smartphone or tablet, but it looks like it makes making phone calls in the car, like the old built in carphones, easier if you have an iPhone with the appropriate software (apps) installed.
I wonder if it might have been better to have an option for either Apple or Android connectivity at the choice of the user. Pioneer have set themselves up to cater to one half of the potential market out there by choosing sides.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:18 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Pioneer have set themselves up to cater to one half of the potential market out there by choosing sides.
Yes, but it is the important half. JUST KIDDING!!!!

Seriously, though: From the video, it appears that if you select MAPS, you get the iPhone map/navigation app (which is Not Yet Ready for Prime Time). I wonder what will happen on a platform that already has a nav system?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti
Quote:
Pioneer have set themselves up to cater to one half of the potential market out there by choosing sides.
Yes, but it is the important half. JUST KIDDING!!!!

Seriously, though: From the video, it appears that if you select MAPS, you get the iPhone map/navigation app (which is Not Yet Ready for Prime Time). I wonder what will happen on a platform that already has a nav system?
You mean it's the overpriced half, don't you?

I would imagine the 2 systems would argue about which way to go, just like we used to when we used paper maps and road signage, and then there will be an awkward silence,during which you won't get any directions from either of them. That will last until one system finally apologizes for disagreeing, and then their next directions will overlap, and the argument will start all over again.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:55 PM   #33
Platinum Member

I guess I'm not seeing the advantage of CarPlay. The dash unit that came with my Agile can play DVDs full of mp3 files, organized into however many playlists/directories you want. The USB connector on it allows the same thing. The limit for both is 65,000 songs with 256 levels of directories. The same USB sticks and DVDs play in the rear Sony system.

I guess the advantage is being able to select playlists by voice instead of through the screen.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:11 AM   #34
Platinum Member

I'm not sure either, but that sounds reasonable. As I said before, I think Microsoft Sync has had that feature for a few years now. Pioneer may simply be trying to leverage the Apple universe to it's advantage business-wise. Not a bad idea, really.

I think I'll wait for Google to announce "CarDrive" using any Android based smartphone and it's GPS capability to drive the vehicle without human operator intervention. Just tell it where you want to go.
I believe they're actually working on it right now (I've seen a few field tests recently that seemed successful), just in case Advanced-RV tries to take credit for developing it first, in the future.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:19 AM   #35
Platinum Member

A modern nav/stereo system is a computer that has to boot up like any computer and whose software and maps can be updated. I'd like to see them come with some sort of industry standard connector into which you could connect a Garmin, Tom Tom, or other GPS module of your choice, or plug in an iPhone or Android phone. It shouldn't be very difficult to do.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:47 AM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit
A modern nav/stereo system is a computer that has to boot up like any computer and whose software and maps can be updated. I'd like to see them come with some sort of industry standard connector into which you could connect a Garmin, Tom Tom, or other GPS module of your choice, or plug in an iPhone or Android phone. It shouldn't be very difficult to do.
While we're on the subject, I was wondering, how do you update the maps/software on built in nav systems, like those in some of the newer class B Sprinters and other vehicles? Do they have wifi access built in as well, or do they use hard wired (USB cable?) to connect to a laptop, and then to the internet? As in, my Garmin connects to the net via a laptop and USB cable to get map updates. I suppose a USB drive could be used.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:18 AM   #37
Site Team

In the case of the Mercedes factory nav system, the nav unit itself is a USB device that can be removed from the Sprinter's head unit and plugged into a PC for updates.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:44 AM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit
A regular USB or Bluetooth connection should be able to do the job. The stereo itself would then be a "dumb" unit, displaying whatever the GPS or smartphone had running. It's possible, but not probable. It would mean that all of the GPS, smartphone and car stereo companies involved would have to cooperate instead of compete.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti
In the case of the Mercedes factory nav system, the nav unit itself is a USB device that can be removed from the Sprinter's head unit and plugged into a PC for updates.
Simple. They are probably all the similar, then.
Thanks.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
While we're on the subject, I was wondering, how do you update the maps/software on built in nav systems, like those in some of the newer class B Sprinters and other vehicles? Do they have wifi access built in as well, or do they use hard wired (USB cable?) to connect to a laptop, and then to the internet? As in, my Garmin connects to the net via a laptop and USB cable to get map updates. I suppose a USB drive could be used.
In the case of my Agile, there is a little door on the front that holds a microSD card. That card holds the map database and probably the software for the nav system. Pop it out and plug it into a computer to load it up with new map data and software updates for the nav system.