Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Apple Announces CarPlay

Apple announced CarPlay which integrates the iPhone with your dash. It will first come out on selected 2014 cars (Mercedes Benz first in regard to RVs) and will expand to other manufacturers.

Here is Apple's official webpage on it.

CarPlay

I will be interested if they include in on MB Sprinters soon as Mercedes Benz is one of the early 2014 adopters. Just about everyone else will follow including Ford and Chevy but Chrysler seems to be missing.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Apple Announces CarPlay

Yep, just what we need, more ways for the overconnected to worry about everything except driving.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It will be interesting to see the integration with the various vehicle systems. I was walking past a Tesla dealer a couple of weeks back and went in to look at their models out of curiosity. Their touch screens were huge and handled everything from A/C and airflow settings to nav to stereo to phone.

It would be handy to be able to say, "Siri, set the air conditioning at 74 degrees, put on my driving music, and plot a course to Mendocino. Oh, and notify me of traffic and road conditions ahead along the route."

I doubt that I would use the phone or texting functions while driving, but the vehicle related functions would be interesting.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
Platinum Member

A couple of days ago, I was reading about this, along the lines of: "Car makers better line up to get CarPlay, or they better line up for a government bailout."

CarPlay works with three phones, the iPhone 5, 5S, and 5C only. No Android, no previous phone.

IMHO, I have no interest in something that demands I have a certain type of device so I can use it at all. Even my vehicle's SYNC system made by Microsoft has worked exceedingly well with all my devices, be it iOS or Android.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:05 AM   #5
Platinum Member

If CarPlay is popular with users, I would expect to see Android versions. The interface to the vehicle is supposedly via thunderbolt connector on the phone. Thunderbolt is basically a very fast USB-like interface and protocol. I wouldn't be difficult to figure it out and create the software and hardware adapter. There are already adapters for thunderbolt to USB 3.

The important thing is the functionality of CarPlay and its actual usefulness. That remains to be seen.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I'm assuming this is an integrated effort that has iOS built into the CarPlay unit since it does not seem as if every app is supported. Pandora for instance says it doesn't work with CarPlay but they are continuing to develop to do so, which I take to mean you have to partner and negotiate in some way with Apple monetarily and contract wise, not technical.

Also, I assume this will be an option and not something automatically built into all vehicles. So trying to hookup an Android device to utilize CarPlay might not happen. Of course there is no reason Google, Samsung or whomever could not develop a similar option.

It is good news for me. I've committed to Apple iOS and Mac OS technology with over a half dozen devices and don't foresee ever buying an Android or Windows device. In that regard I have nothing to lament or wait for in regard to CarPlay. People have been badmouthing and predicting the demise of Apple now for over 30 years as it grew to become the largest capitalized company in the world. I am pretty confident now it will be around and innovating for the rest of my lifetime.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
Platinum Member

This syndicated article showed up in the Minneapolis paper today.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...dae_story.html

It doesn't seem to matter if the phone/gadget is handsfree or not, as long as it takes brain attention that would otherwise be used for driving decisions. I have seen similar study results quite a few times in the past.

Coincidentally, last week I was second in line in a left turn lane. Oncoming traffic cleared, and the car in front of me started to move and turn left, then abruptly turned back into the turn lane and stopped. They then grabbed their phone, answered it, and started talking, still sitting still and leaving all of us in the middle of the road. Horns blew, and they finally started moving very slowly around the corner while talking. Horns blew again and we all got the single finger salute. The next stop sign, they sat long after traffic cleared, chatting away. Horns blew again, same salute.

Many folks just can't handle the distractions of even a simple conversation while driving, much less a whole list of things they can be doing.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Texting and phone calling is the big bugaboo. However, we all still manage our radios, CDs and navigation already built into vehicles. I would think CarPlay eliminating CD finagling would be a plus. I would think voice command with Siri would reduce navigation finagling. This stuff is not going away. One thing I don't do much of is texting and phone calls. In nearly 20 years of owning a cell phone I have exceed 30 minutes in a month maybe two or three times. I simply don't talk or text on the phone and usually it is with my wife 90% of the time and she is going to be sitting in the seat next to me in the RV. On the few rare times I actually do get phone calls while driving I simply ignore them assuming if it were important voice mail would roll in or I would have my wife take the call on my phone if she is there.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Texting and phone calling is the big bugaboo. However, we all still manage our radios, CDs and navigation already built into vehicles. I would think CarPlay eliminating CD finagling would be a plus. I would think voice command with Siri would reduce navigation finagling. This stuff is not going away. One thing I don't do much of is texting and phone calls. In nearly 20 years of owning a cell phone I have exceed 30 minutes in a month maybe two or three times. I simply don't talk or text on the phone and usually it is with my wife 90% of the time and she is going to be sitting in the seat next to me in the RV. On the few rare times I actually do get phone calls while driving I simply ignore them assuming if it were important voice mail would roll in or I would have my wife take the call on my phone if she is there.

If you read the article, they address the idea of hands free vs not hands free and saw no difference in distraction. They also tested audio books, the radio, other folks in the vehicle and list the results.

Bottom line is that hands free doesn't help with the distraction, it is still basically the same a being drunk.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Along those same lines, if distracted driving is essentially as dangerous as drunk driving, why isn't it treated the same way in terms of policing, charges, fines, and the rest of the very serious punishment and stigma associated with it? IMO, it should carry all the same legal and social stigma severity as DUI, but it doesn't.
In my province/country, if you are convicted of DUI, it's usually a big fine, automatic loss of driving privilege for at least a year, a permanent criminal record, and the ensuing insurance premium increases when you do drive again. I'm not sure about the other possible penalties, but ignition interlock devices installed at the owner's expense and that are mandatory for some period of time when driving privileges are restored, and attendance at DUI rehabilitation courses, may also be required. A conviction under our distracted driving laws are a slap on the wrist by comparison, treated like any other misdemeanor. Both situations can potentially cause the same amount of personal and property damage, but the seeming difference is that drunk driving carries a much more negative social stigma to date. That's how it works up here, anyway.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Then I trust everyone will do the right thing and leave the radio off and not use any navigation devices on their RV travels.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I was just thinking.......
I wonder if there will be any stats available in a year, from the NHTSA for example, about the number of accidents and deaths for vehicles equipped with CarPlay, as opposed to those without? Or, would that data be blended in with the rest of the numbers for distracted driving? Maybe the CarPlay hardware and software will be able to provide that specific data, like the black box OBDII info that they look at now, to assist in determining precisely what caused a crash? Apple may provide additional Big Brother info for accident investigators, so that the police may not just ask for your cell phone, but may also require your CarPlay access codes during crash investigations.
We rarely listen to the radio while driving, so we're not bothered by that. As for nav devices, I guess that's what co-pilots are for?
CarPlay may have some unintended consequences, or it may not. We'll have to see.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #13
Platinum Member

You have been able to buy similar built-in navigation modules and music players for years in cars. The problem is, especially the navigation modules, is they have been very proprietary and clunky to use and after a couple of years they want to hit you up with a $500 or so software map upgrade that ticks people off. GM has had Onstar for years. I suspect CarPlay will just change the game a bit. For starters, Apple has been offering free iOS upgrades since inception and free Mac OS upgrades recently. This has already forced Microsoft to rethink Windows. Android is free but has had some confusion with each hardware company making its own modifications. But regardless, all three will kill the captive proprietary game to a certain extent.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Yes on other nav hardware/software. However, you've been able to opt out of providing "usage info" to the manufacturer, for most of them. Will Apple allow it's customers the same anonymity?
Will they be able to track your every move while in your vehicle, including things like speed, your turn by turn route, which systems (or distractions) are activated at any given moment, and be forced to provide it to the police if requested/subpoenaed?
I agree about software updates. I paid Garmin $90 2 years ago for the Lifetime Map Updates, which didn't seem too bad, considering they add about $100 to the price of those units that have it included. I've used it half a dozen times and it's been a 50/50 easy/ugly task. Sometimes the update process works well, and sometimes I'm glad I make full device backups before I start.
Microsoft has always automatically notified users and given free software updates for it's operating systems as required, after initial purchase, so I'm not sure what you mean about them rethinking Windows?
Apple has gone through a few iterations of their O/S, afaik. Do they notify you when there's a software fix or patch, that you can then install at your leisure? Or is it automated somehow? For things like their recent man in the middle exposure on their mobile devices, for example? Is it left up to the user to decide what to do, if there's a reported problem?
Unfortunately I have no personal experience with Android, but have read/heard that some devices that are unlocked, can get the original Google written software/firmware patches/updates directly from them, in an automated manner. Those devices that are locked to a specific carrier get the updates passed on from each service provider after they have been tailored under the pretense of making them conform to the service provider's software, also found on the specific device.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Automobile "infotainment centers" apparently use all sorts of operating systems to run.

This review of Apple's CarPlay says that it runs on top of Blackberry's QNX operating system. The article is from Time, Inc., so I assume that it's reliable.
http://time.com/12452/gasp-apple-carpla ... -platform/

Parrot Asteroid Smart is another operating system for car radios, and it's based on Android software. You can download apps for it from Parrot's Asteroid store.
http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/aste ... roid-smart

Kenwood is using Android software to run one of its aftermarket systems. Kenwood's version of Android software is heavily modified and simplified and it doesn't support the Google play store or additional add-on apps. Somehow, iPhone users can use Siri voice commands with it. It also supports voice commands with Android and Blackberry phones.
http://ces.cnet.com/2300-34438_1-10015387.html

Bring back metal push buttons on simple radios!!!
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Ford has been partnered with Microsoft for a few years now to provide it's SYNC system. No idea about exactly what it does, but I assume it's some sort of touch screen/voice recognition system, for hands free operation of the controls that used to have knobs, and switches. My 2009 F150 has some extra inputs for electronic/music stuff I don't own. This sort of stuff isn't all that new, it would appear. Apple will probably add some interesting extras, and some folks will call it revolutionary, but that's just good marketing, and they do that very well.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I've been using SYNC on my 2010 F-150 without complaints, and it works fairly decently with all devices, although it does work a tad better with Android. iPhones, it won't read you text messages, nor allow you to index songs over BlueTooth, but c'est la vie.

I will not buy a CarPlay vehicle... I don't want to have to deal with buying a vehicle where one has to be an iOS user to use all the features that you paid for.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #18
Platinum Member

CarPlay is clearly going to be designed for and targeting the Apple core (hah) user community.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #19
Platinum Member

If you are already into the iPhone eco-system it could be a good deal. However, I'm not sure what it brings since I can communicate directly with the iPhone through Siri and can plug in the iPhone to the vehicle's speaker system with a USB connection and it AUX mode. SiennaGuy's find on Blackberry QNX might well explain CarPlay's incompleteness and non Apple like iOS appearance. I'm guessing it might be a premature beta 1, too soon, not Steve Jobs like push to get out. The more I read about it the more disappointed I am but I like the signal toward a new direction.

The important thing is on board intelligent infotainment navigation systems now expand to your other devices and you are not going to be tied to the auto manufacturer for software upgrades or be tied to less universal and proprietary one device in car OSes. I imagine your primary choices will be Apple, Android and Microsoft. Apple has its own eco-sphere. Android and Microsoft will battle it out with PC compatibility.

What I meant by Microsoft will have to rethink is Apple started delivering free OS upgrades to all its devices, not just the usual maintenance security upgrades but also new versions. Microsoft depends on revenue for OSes because they haven't been a hardware company. That will pinch them competitively. Well, it has for a dozen years already as evidenced by their mature capitalization and stock growth as witnessed by the rebellion of people not wanting to give up their reliable but ancient Windows XP.

Mike, You can elect to update Apple Mac OS or iOS on your computer and devices automatically. I don't advise that. Usually you'll get a notification by message or email and it will also show up in your App Store with a add-on number to the icon. If you follow a lot of tech news websites you'll know almost immediately. I usually get my earliest notice through some Twitter follows. Once you buy, if there is an initial cost, upgrades have remained free. I pretty much stay up to date with all my software.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
What I meant by Microsoft will have to rethink is Apple started delivering free OS upgrades to all its devices, not just the usual maintenance security upgrades but also new versions. Microsoft depends on revenue for OSes because they haven't been a hardware company. That will pinch them competitively. Well, it has for a dozen years already as evidenced by their mature capitalization and stock growth as witnessed by the rebellion of people not wanting to give up their reliable but ancient Windows XP.
In the Microsoft world, once you buy a device (laptop/netbook/tablet) with whatever OS it happens to have (Win98, XP, Vista, Win7, Win, the software is yours, you own it, and all updates, security patches, etc. are free for the life of the hardware and OS. If the PC can still physically boot up and load the OS, there are no more charges or fees for maintenance of the operating system environment.
You say "Apple started delivering free OS upgrades to all it's devices, not just the usual maintenance security upgrades but also new versions. " Did you have to pay for all of that stuff before? When did they start offering free OS upgrades? Is it like buying an app? For example, if I bought a Macbook or an Ipad, or an Iphone, would I own the included copy of the OS, and get any future software/security maintenance and updates for free? That's how it works for Microsoft.
btw, there's a rumor out there that apparently there are thousands of ATM/ABM machines out there that still run XP. Win7 is about the same as a prettied up Win XP, so most WinXP users will be fine with it. We have both and they're both decent. I heard bad things about Vista when it first appeared, and Win8 apparently was a non starter in many ways, too. I expect Win9 will be another return to an XP/Win7 style operating system. It's always puzzled me why they keep straying from that model. I think they are competitive at what they do, which is create software for consumer and business applications. They're somewhere around #8 on the biggest companies by market cap.

Quote:
Mike, You can elect to update Apple Mac OS or iOS on your computer and devices automatically. I don't advise that. Usually you'll get a notification by message or email and it will also show up in your App Store with a add-on number to the icon. If you follow a lot of tech news websites you'll know almost immediately. I usually get my earliest notice through some Twitter follows. Once you buy, if there is an initial cost, upgrades have remained free. I pretty much stay up to date with all my software.
I also have our laptops set up to automatically notify only, when updates are available. I prefer to monitor the stuff (aka bloatware) they sometimes throw in with the regular software maintenance and patches. Again, in the Microsoft world, you get a little "updates are available" icon on your desktop, so you don't have to rely on word of mouth or email notifications. Does Apple not have a "direct to device" system to let you know when something new is available?
You may already know that Microsoft uses a system where they can validate your copy of the OS remotely, and then notify you when your particular copy of the OS has updates available, all done in the background. There's a little app buried in the OS software called wuauclt.exe that wakes up and checks for updates every so often. So, they know that my laptops and OS copies are valid, and then notify me if something is required. Simple and effective.