Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2021, 05:44 PM   #1

Default Are Airsttreams worth the price?

Only my second post so be nice.

We are trying to think a few years ahead in retirement and we are leaning towards getting a class B RV. It looks like there are a ton of options but the question I keep coming back to is, are airstreams really worth the price? I understand they hold their value very well but paying over 150,000 for a class B seems a little excessive to me and I would just like to pose this question to the group.

We are not interested in Boondocking and just this morning we were searching for luxury RV parks if that gives you any idea as to our tastes. Lol.

Thanks in advance.
ErickfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:27 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickfromMI View Post

We are trying to think a few years ahead in retirement and we are leaning towards getting a class B RV. It looks like there are a ton of options but the question I keep coming back to is, are airstreams really worth the price? I understand they hold their value very well but paying over 150,000 for a class B seems a little excessive to me and I would just like to pose this question to the group.

We are not interested in Boondocking and just this morning we were searching for luxury RV parks if that gives you any idea as to our tastes. Lol.

Thanks in advance.
I think Airstreams build great products. If you want to boondock. You will require a vehicle which is very energy efficient with lots of water. I would recommend Embassy RV. They will build you what you want for probably same or at a lower price than Airstream.
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:41 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
If you want to boondock.
He specifically stated "We are not interested in Boondocking "
parkgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:59 PM   #4
Site Team

A search of this list will reveal many discussions of the pros and cons of the Airstream Interstate. I once owned a first-generation Interstate. My opinion (and I think a fair reflection of the prevailing sentiment):

1) The Interstates for the most part have good designs, nice finishes, and first-rate appliances.

2) The initial build quality of all Thor products (including the Interstate) is embarrassingly bad.

3) Interstates are not contenders for the "best value" award.

You will certainly find Interstate enthusiasts, but I can't help thinking that the prestige of the "Airstream" brand contributes to the enthusiasm.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:00 PM   #5
Platinum Member

While Airstream travel trailers do hold their price is that also true for the Class Bs? There seem to be a lot of reports of less quality in the Airstream vans.

What is driving you towards a Class B? Your mention of luxury RV parks leads me to believe you may be happier in a quality small Class C (LTV, Tiffin Wayfarer, etc. for instance) rather than a Class B unless there is something specific about the Class B van than you are looking for. The small Class C (also called B+) tend to give you more for your money than the Class Bs.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:48 PM   #6

Which B’s would you consider the best value?
Old 07-04-2021, 07:50 PM   #7

The main thing driving us to the class B is getting something my wife feels comfortable driving. Class C’s are just too big for her.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:58 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
The main thing driving us to the class B is getting something my wife feels comfortable driving. Class C’s are just too big for her.
Have you looked at the compact Class C’s also called B+?
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:09 PM   #9

Looking now. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2021, 09:10 PM   #10

This is good info. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2021, 11:22 PM   #11
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
This is good info. Thanks!
The good info for the forum is 'What are you going to do with your rv?'

Thanks.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:48 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Which B’s would you consider the best value?
This is actually an interesting question that I don't recall having been explored much around here. Lots of discussion on which is "best" for various purposes, but not so much on which is the best bang for the buck.

You might want to start a separate thread on this topic. I suspect it would generate an interesting discussion.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 02:24 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I have a '2012 Airstream Avenue Suite (on the Chevy Express 3500 gas chassis) and Rocinante has a newer Airstream Interstate (on the Mercedes extended 3500 diesel chassis).

We both also hang out on airforums.com, an Airstream forum. I can tell you there are plenty of stories of those who love their Airstream and plenty of horror stories of quality issues in both their trailers and class b's.

It is my first and only rv so nothing to base my observations against. Speaking strictly for just myself, here's my summation:

The good:

- Nice, sturdy cabinetry with laminate surfaces that resist wear.
- High-priced looking design with rounded corners and curved cabinets.
- Above average kitchen/bath faucets & hardware.
- Overall look is modern and appealing.

The bad:

- They use standard rv industry appliances, nothing special.
- My guess is the layout/functionality is no better thought out than most.
- Their newer models (approx. '2018 and newer) have unnecessarily fragile automated window shades. Flash before reliability.
- Airstream seems years ahead of Roadtreks as they started using compressor fridges in '2010 (but failed to provide adequate upper & lower ventilation).

The ugly:

- After 80+ years in the industry, they still (at least at the time of my model) haven't learned to reduce squeaks and rattles.
- In reference to the above, too many panels are touching yet not secured. I've had to either create a slight gap, or else secure panels together to prevent them from rubbing and causing squeaks and rattles.
- Airstreams may function just fine, but don't expect well bundled & secured wiring behind cabinets. I also found a lot of sawdust from assembly and hit & miss insulation (as if they gave their guy half of what was needed and told him "Do your best").

I have been able to correct the above items with little cost, a moderate amount of time, and only a few drops of blood.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I have a '2012 Airstream Avenue Suite (on the Chevy Express 3500 gas chassis) and Rocinante has a newer Airstream Interstate (on the Mercedes extended 3500 diesel chassis).

We both also hang out on airforums.com, an Airstream forum. I can tell you there are plenty of stories of those who love their Airstream and plenty of horror stories of quality issues in both their trailers and class b's.

It is my first and only rv so nothing to base my observations against. Speaking strictly for just myself, here's my summation:

The good:

- Nice, sturdy cabinetry with laminate surfaces that resist wear.
- High-priced looking design with rounded corners and curved cabinets.
- Above average kitchen/bath faucets & hardware.
- Overall look is modern and appealing.

The bad:

- They use standard rv industry appliances, nothing special.
- My guess is the layout/functionality is no better thought out than most.
- Their newer models (approx. '2018 and newer) have unnecessarily fragile automated window shades. Flash before reliability.
- Airstream seems years ahead of Roadtreks as they started using compressor fridges in '2010 (but failed to provide adequate upper & lower ventilation).

The ugly:

- After 80+ years in the industry, they still (at least at the time of my model) haven't learned to reduce squeaks and rattles.
- In reference to the above, too many panels are touching yet not secured. I've had to either create a slight gap, or else secure panels together to prevent them from rubbing and causing squeaks and rattles.
- Airstreams may function just fine, but don't expect well bundled & secured wiring behind cabinets. I also found a lot of sawdust from assembly and hit & miss insulation (as if they gave their guy half of what was needed and told him "Do your best").

I have been able to correct the above items with little cost, a moderate amount of time, and only a few drops of blood.
Great info. Thank you so much. I’m dipping my toes in the water here and trying to learn all I can. Much appreciated.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:12 AM   #15
Platinum Member

In a word, the answer to your question is: No. (...unless you buy used.)

But then, I would not likely buy a new Class B RV no matter whose nameplate was slapped on the outside.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
In a word, the answer to your question is: No. (...unless you buy used.)

But then, I would not likely buy a new Class B RV no matter whose nameplate was slapped on the outside.
Why not buy new? I assume because of the huge depreciation?
Old 07-08-2021, 01:18 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Why not buy new? I assume because of the huge depreciation?
That, and it’s also a way to avoid build glitches in new units. Let someone else do the initial debugging. High end custom and semi-custom manufacturers, not so much, and they tend to provide better post-purchase support. But mass market units- including Airstream- are subject to warranty issues that leave you at the mercy of sometimes dysfunctional dealer service departments. Not all are equally bad of course, but with new RV sales at an all-time high, there’s only so much capacity.

Depreciation is much less right now due to unusually high demand, but that won’t last forever.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That, and it’s also a way to avoid build glitches in new units. Let someone else do the initial debugging. High end custom and semi-custom manufacturers, not so much (and they tend to provide better post-purchase support). But mass market units are subject to warranty issues that leave you at the mercy of often dysfunctional dealer service departments.

Depreciation is much less right now due to unusually high demand, but that won’t last forever.
Good info. Thank you.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:32 PM   #19
Platinum Member

I consider a Class B RV a want not a need. You can’t get exactly what you want in a used market vs. a new market because of the limited supply. Who is to say you can avoid glitches? Could be a higher percentage of used models are being dumped and sold because of annoying glitches.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:11 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
My personal preference is for a Coach House, but brand new is over $200,000. They aren't sold through dealers so you order direct from them. I'm on a Coach House forum, and it sounds like buyers need to wait a few months to over a year to get theirs. They only make Class B+'s now. I owned a 1998 Coach House Wide Body, which was a Class B on the Dodge chassis. I really loved that one and was impressed with the quality and design. I have a 1999 Roadtrek now, but there are some design features on the CH that I like much better. I also wouldn't buy brand new. I have a friend who's on her 3rd Class C - she trades them in every 3-4 years. She buys them brand new and is always doing repairs, such as having to have the toilet replaced on the first trip out, or the microwave rattling while driving, or the roof air needing to be replaced. Repairs are covered by the warranty, but that's still a pain when you're miles from home.
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote