Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 05:39 PM   #1

Default Are MB sprinter 3 or 5 year service packages worth the money?

Hi there, sorry about the long winded question: we have just purchased a 2018 Pleasureway PLATEAU TS on the Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis (3L turbo diesel). We anticipate only doing roughly 15,000 km per year. They would love to sell us the 3 or 5'year service packages of alternating A and B.service levels. For$1700/3 yr or $3000/5yr CAD respectively.
Given low mileage usage, winter storage for 6 months, are all the filter changes and extra expenses of these service levels worth it. One has to take it in yearly for the oil change or service A which then every second year becomes a B level when they add the various filter changes. Essentially in our case all these services become a yearly event regardless of accumulated mileage. They quote service A at $600 and B at $1200 CAD if purchased individually. No where in the Mercedes-Benz brochures can I find strict guidelines as to whether services should be time based or mileage based and whether with the B level they"inspect and possibly replace" all items on the menu or just automatically "replace" the filters etc this giving you possibly your money's worth. Thoughts on service packages much appreciated, cheers Roger, Cranbrook B.C.
rsmitch2@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 07:05 PM   #2
Site Team

There is little chance these dealer service packages would be cost effective. You would have to look very carefully at a number of things:

1) What does the Service Manual that came with your vehicle say about time-based service? MB is all over the place on this issue, so you have to look at your manual. The MY2018 service manual is not on line, so you need your paper copy. One year vs two years will make a big difference, since as you suggest, this will interact with your calculations. Understand that they will not do any "free" service that isn't called for in your manual.

2) Calculate the likely number of services you are actually likely to need in the time interval you purchase. If, for example, you buy a 3-year plan, and if your required service is annual (assuming that your milage is too low to require more than the time-based requirements), then there is a good chance you will only get TWO services (one A and one B) for that money: You are eligible for the first service at the end of the first year. Unless you get the service done on that very day, it will be slightly MORE than two years from purchase before you are eligible for the second one (since it is one year from the first service). That means that your 3-years will be up before you are eligible for your second "A" service. Sometimes these policies list a NUMBER of services, rather than a time interval. That wouldn't be as bad. You need to check.

3) If circumstances require you to do EVEN ONE service at other than a MB dealer (e.g., you are in the middle of nowhere half way to Alaska and need service, you are almost certain to wipe out any savings.

4) You are paying them up front. What is the cost of the money that they are investing instead of you?

5) What is the risk that something will happen during the contract interval? E.g., might you decide to sell the vehicle (yes, it might be transferrable, but you are unlikely to recover your costs in the sale)? Might you move to someplace far away from a dealer? etc....

6) Are you sure you want to always get your service done at a dealer? You might well discover a high-quality independent that will likely be MUCH cheaper.

Bottom line: There is a reason why your dealer is so eager to sell this contract to you.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:56 PM   #3

Thank you for the eloquent and detailed reply, cheers Roger B.C.
rsmitch2@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #4
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmitch2@gmail.com View Post
Hi there, sorry about the long winded question: we have just purchased a 2018 Pleasureway PLATEAU TS on the Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis (3L turbo diesel). We anticipate only doing roughly 15,000 km per year. They would love to sell us the 3 or 5'year service packages of alternating A and B.service levels. For$1700/3 yr or $3000/5yr CAD respectively.
Compare with the RV's price, the service price seems OK. If you think you need, then it worthy it. If you don't need, just leave it. Or you can join the MB Club and consult with the other users.
Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I was told many years ago not to buy these warranties; they are written in favor of the Dealer and Company issuing it - your just the payee. Oh, this was told to me by a very honest RV Salesman who sold me my first RV. He said get the price, put that money into a Savings Account; he was right, I paid out money during the specified time, but had money left. I have done that each time thereafter....I am way ahead on funds. The Indurance has so many caveats, quirks, that they can get out of it....and in the meantime your rig is setting on a lot awaiting the inevitable- Sorry. Ron
Old 09-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica998 View Post
Compare with the RV's price, the service price seems OK. If you think you need, then it worthy it. If you don't need, just leave it.
What does the price of the RV have to do with the value of a service contract? That it almost completely apples-and-oranges. The relevant comparison is between the cost of the contract (and its associated terms) and the cost of pay-as-you-go service.

Not to be harsh, but I also don't see how OP "thinks" provides much guidance, either. Lots of people think they need things that are totally worthless. I think that is why he or she asked the question. It is data and math that matter.

Ron has it right.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:11 PM   #7

Forgo the service contract! I've found it much easier and much, much faster to have my SS AGILE repaired/serviced at a local independent mechanic. Dealer repairs take FOREVER. I'm sure they put their paying customers first, and get to the warranty repairs when they find time. I even contacted Roadtrek HQ for assistance, when the dealer took 3 weeks for simple switch replacement, but Roadtrek management, as polite as they were, couldn't nudge the dealer for a more timely repair. Also, not all Mercedes dealers will work on RV's, so I had to travel an hour to find one who would work on mine. Even that took weeks for them to negotiate with Roadtrek as to who would pay for replacing the accessory fan belt! (which Roadtrek added in to the Mercedes engine compartment, so the repair involved both.
Wavefanz is offline   Reply With Quote