Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2019, 01:20 AM   #1
fjc

Default Are new Roadtrek Sprinter class B covered by MB Chassis warranty?

Are new Roadtrek Sprinter class B's covered by MB Chassis warranty? The dealer says yes but they would not put it in writing.

My friend told me Roadtrek lost the MB certification so no Mercedes chassis warranty.

Thank you
fjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:26 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjc View Post
Are new Roadtrek Sprinter class B's covered by MB Chassis warranty? The dealer says yes but they would not put it in writing.

My friend told me Roadtrek lost the MB certification so no Mercedes chassis warranty.

Thank you
Your MB chassis warranty is still good. Roadtrek only lost their Master Upfitter status, that does not affect your warranty.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:55 AM   #3
Site Team

Correct. Master Upfitter status has nothing to do with the OEM consumer warranty. Nor do aftermarket modifications affect warranty coverage. Forbidden by US law. The only exception would be if some Roadtrek modification actually CAUSED a chassis failure. That particular failure would not be covered, but the warranty would otherwise remain intact.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:17 AM   #4
Platinum Member

There is a video making the rounds on social media that presents the idea that the Master Upfitter status change will effect the Mercedes warranty which may be what is driving these questions...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
There is a video making the rounds on social media that presents the idea that the Master Upfitter status change will effect the Mercedes warranty which may be what is driving these questions...
Ah.
I suppose there is some small cause for concern. Suppose (purely hypothetically) that a mis-installed underhood generator somehow caused an engine bearing failure or some such. Since that failure would be RT's fault, MB might not cover it under warranty. Note, however that (a) the burden of proof as to the cause of the failure would be on MB--they can't just say that it is RT's fault so too bad; and (b) this would be the case with or without Master Upfitter status. Lots of small up fitters are not Master Upfitters. That doesn't meant that their vans lack OEM warranties.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I think I read somewhere (maybe in a past post here) where Mercedes Benz had to remove Roadtrek installed equipment to get to NOX censors for replacement. I would think that may get you charges not covered by warranty for the extra work involved.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I think I read somewhere (maybe in a past post here) where Mercedes Benz had to remove Roadtrek installed equipment to get to NOX censors for replacement. I would think that may get you charges not covered by warranty for the extra work involved.
Prior to the receivership my NOX sensers failed and MB dealership charged Roadtrek for the extra labor required. The Fresh water tank blocks easy access to the sensors. They did not have to remove the tank but working around it increased the labor charges. I'm certain the extra labor cost would be the owner's responsibility today.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:39 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
I believe that extra work was always covered by Roadtrek so it may have been done by Mercedes in some cases and they were reimbursed by Roadtrek. At times the tank removal and reinstall was done by an RV dealer when Mercedes wouldn’t do it.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
I believe that extra work was always covered by Roadtrek so it may have been done by Mercedes in some cases and they were reimbursed by Roadtrek. At times the tank removal and reinstall was done by an RV dealer when Mercedes wouldn’t do it.
So with no Roadtrek, no picking up that tab for any extra work that Mercedes Benz would not normally do?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:06 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
So with no Roadtrek, no picking up that tab for any extra work that Mercedes Benz would not normally do?
That would be the case as far as I know...
Old 03-24-2019, 12:37 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
That video is by Neil Balthaser on his Ultramobilty YouTube channel. Here is link, discussion of Master Upfitter issue starts at 11:40.

https://youtu.be/mGoFWneF9Mo
Old 03-24-2019, 01:07 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
That video is by Neil Balthaser on his Ultramobilty YouTube channel. Here is link, discussion of Master Upfitter issue starts at 11:40.

https://youtu.be/mGoFWneF9Mo
Just enough truth among the nonsense to be scary for most people. Actually, the "truth" is mostly due to ambiguities in his statements. Ex:

Quote:
...If they are not [a Master Upfitter] - be aware that Mercedes can decline any warranty work as a result of unapproved modifications made to their products.
This statement is either true or false, depending on how you interpret "any warranty work as a result"

If he means literally "any warranty work", it is nonsense.

If he means "any warranty work for a failure provably caused by an unapproved modification" then the statement is correct.

BUT, as I said above, as far as I know, being a Master Upfitter has nothing to do with your warranty. I believe that damage caused by an approved modification would be covered whether the upifitter is a Master Upfitter or not. Most of the rules are laid out in the Bodybuilder's Guide, which anyone can download. I suppose, though, that only MU members are able to apply for waivers or get rulings on things not covered in the Guide.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:01 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Default Interesting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctucker View Post
Prior to the receivership my NOX sensers failed and MB dealership charged Roadtrek for the extra labor required. The Fresh water tank blocks easy access to the sensors. They did not have to remove the tank but working around it increased the labor charges. I'm certain the extra labor cost would be the owner's responsibility today.
In late December 2017... I had an emissions system failure on my 2012 RS... the vehicle was covered by the federal government warranty... and MB thankfully paid for a complete replacement of the entire system including Nox sensors, cat and updated software to bring my vehicle current. Prior to that I had complained to MB about the excessive amount of DEF I was using... since then my DEF use has gone way down and things are fine. There were no extra charges for my vehicle. No mention of the water tanks... conversation never came up. Sorry your experience was different.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote