Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #41
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee and Zeekie View Post
Have been getting excited learning about and looking for my first RV. This forum is amazing! But a new concern surfaced yesterday: Since I am single, female, in my 60s, and a newbie to RVing, I am not (yet) comfortable boon docking in remote places alone. So that leaves me with campgrounds, (public, private, etc…). The one time I went RVing in a rented Class C, with a man, I was really irritated by generator noise. Even in relatively uncrowded areas, someone would invariably run their generator. I think they are obnoxious at any time of day or night. I am also not crazy about having to listen to other people’s music. Does that mean RVing might not be for me? How can I stay in places where there are people around, and yet not be subject to generator noise, music blaring, and kids running around screaming? All of that is the opposite of relaxation and fun! For many years, I used to backpack and relished the hiking, nature, peace and quiet. I hope I am not confusing the backpacking experience with the RV camping experience! Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Signed,
Getting Cold Feet? Or Being Realistic?
We have been pretty lucky on noise issues. Yes there are kids, and more party people on weekends especially now. We find that most campers especially older are more considerate to noise and pets. We have ear plugs in some cases at night, but know that if there are rangers, camp hosts, and managers they can ask the people to quiet down. We have had dogs barking for a long period of time and asked the owner to quiet her dog. She did it, but seemed annoyed. My wife won't let me blow my air horn near those types at 5 am LOL I sure find it interesting that those folks causing the issue don't seem to like loud noises, when it wakes them or at certain times. We usually get up early when in our Class B, if their are younger tent people camped and they made noise most of the night. I am tempted to return the favor doing the day LOL I do not recommend stunts, but noise and lights are a factor of life these days no matter where you are. From what I read on this thread, I agree with most people about the noise and issues on the road. You can move or leave which is the beauty of the class B. Most places usually post quiet hours. Good luck
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:20 PM   #42
Bronze Member

I kid you not - the most peaceful times of RVing are either in the dead of winter, or when driving on the interstate. I think camping is a loaded term. If you're talking about "RVing" in private RV campgrounds, then yeah, noise can and does come up. Not just noise, but trash left to blow into your site, trespassing (kids who are screaming about the "shortcut" they found behind your rear bumper to their friend's site), and SMOKE - man oh man, I swear I've reduced my life expectancy from the clouds of smoke in some campgrounds! But then some parts of the country don't allow fires at all, which is great.

I think the issue is - there's lots of little noises that you wouldn't even know about in a more insulated setup (cabin or a regular house)... someone stepping on the gas of their diesel truck or especially their motorcycle startles me every time. Kids shouting to each other on their bikes riding by. People chatting outside your window, oblivious to the fact you can hear everything they're saying. There's just a lot less of a barrier to external noise. When it's just the crickets, or even the rain, it's calming. When it's weekend warriors treating the place as the backyard they don't have (or probably, got fined from their HOA from overrunning), it's awful.

I think if you find RV parks where there are more seasonals, it tends to be a bit better. I've seen some seasonal/long-term areas though where it felt like public housing. One time a guy stopped outside my window to light his cigarette with the barbecue lighter I had out to start grilling some corn. I figured, whatever - then he walks away with it!
HitchNride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:22 PM   #43

If folks would buy a quiet Honda generator like we did, we could get along. Our friends bought a new camper pulled up next to us and fired up their Onan quiet generator. I told him next time, let us know and we’ll camp elsewhere. He has now bought a Honda and we camp together, both laughing about the experience.... and now we try and educate others...
Red Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:12 PM   #44
Silver Member

We have never had any problems. We camp mostly at California State Parks or County run campgrounds. We have noticed loud talking and laughter when its a bigger group camping together. The generator problem we have seen was when we had a boat, boaters run their generators all the time and in comparison most campers seem to have a designated time they run them for a few hours. All campgrounds have rules for generators usually like 8:00am until 10:00pm. I wish you all the best in your search, please do not let a one time bad experience hold you back. Check out the Solis Winnebago we just put a deposit on one and super excited.
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:14 PM   #45
Gold Member

We live in California. Here the State Park Campgrounds are reserved 6 months in advance. You try to reserve and every spot is taken for every date. We camp during the week (retired) and you would think there would be spots but no. I think someone is gaming the system but I can't find anyone to buy a black market spot from.

Generators are not all ways a bother. Some make sure the exhaust is pointed away from a neighbor. We also have an inverter. No noise there!
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post
We live in California. Here the State Park Campgrounds are reserved 6 months in advance. You try to reserve and every spot is taken for every date. We camp during the week (retired) and you would think there would be spots but no. I think someone is gaming the system but I can't find anyone to buy a black market spot from.

Generators are not all ways a bother. Some make sure the exhaust is pointed away from a neighbor. We also have an inverter. No noise there!

The reservations thing seems to be getting mixed in here, somehow.

There is another standalone thread for that running currently, also.

And yes, they are gaming the system IMO, but not for profit. They are making it hard for others for their own convenience, it seems. The other discussion has lots more on it.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...icy-11115.html
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:36 PM   #47
Silver Member

I feel your pain with finding a camp site. I think with Covid its not easy. I book in advance and if I do not get the site I want I take one that works and then I put myself on incase they have a cancelation. Have you tried some of the county parks? Ventura has some nice ones, Julian has William Heise County Park and Jalama is a county park too. Avila Beach as well. We have just gone to the kiosk in a pinch and sometimes they have a cancelation and will help you out. We are going to join Harvest Hosts when we get out Solis in 2 months. So many friends love this way of travel. I wish you well.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:47 PM   #48
Platinum Member

No generator is quiet in a campground. If you think so, you are only compensating and kidding yourself. If you can't deal with that fact, stick to electrical sites.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #49
Silver Member

I think we have camped on a smaller scale with a cab over camper on our truck. We usually have trailers, tents or van's around us. The Class A's and C's seem to be in larger sites. Fingers crossed for the future. Enjoy it out there Davy!
Old 09-06-2020, 10:16 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificstar View Post
I think we have camped on a smaller scale with a cab over camper on our truck. We usually have trailers, tents or van's around us. The Class A's and C's seem to be in larger sites. Fingers crossed for the future. Enjoy it out there Davy!

I don't think that seems to matter these days. We have increasingly run into tenters with a generator running, even watching satellite TV, sometimes.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:32 AM   #51
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I don't think that seems to matter these days. We have increasingly run into tenters with a generator running, even watching satellite TV, sometimes.
booster, I'm not sure David understands that you have to 'condition' your camping neighbors if you want to run your generator, e.g.

Start the LOUD onan, close the windows, fan cover, shut the doors. Obviously, the neighbors think something like oh sh*t. Let the LOUD continue for say 10 minutes. Long enough that they know it is not the microwave. Then start the latest Honda 2200, kill the LOUD onan. The neighbors think, Oh that feels good, and the neighbors are happy and explain how concerned they Were.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #52
Platinum Member

We have been on the road since early June. Last night was the first time we’ve heard a generator. Dispersed camping, generator is across the road.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:43 AM   #53
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmessinger View Post
We live in California. Here the State Park Campgrounds are reserved 6 months in advance. You try to reserve and every spot is taken for every date. We camp during the week (retired) and you would think there would be spots but no. I think someone is gaming the system but I can't find anyone to buy a black market spot f
I remember pre-covid trying to get a spot in Yosemite. You had to be online ready to go at 8:00am CA time. My wife and I had 2 computers going. When 8:00am arrived we immediately placed the reservation for our campsite(s) and immediately got a response that all campsites were full. Frustrating? You bet.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #54

When camping in a shorter Class B (under 18’) a few summers ago, we were allowed to camp in the campground area vs the rv area. It made all the difference - much quieter and more respectful campers. I’m with you on the dislike of the rv specific camping. Not sure if there is a maximum length van they will allow to head to the camping area or if it is allowable upon request. We, of course, did not have hook ups in the camping area, but did not need it since we had sufficient solar to run our fridge and allow our lights to function. We did not run a generator either.
Katieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:56 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Yes, it can make a huge difference if you are small and don’t need hookups.

We often camp near tenters. No matter how cold it is, we will not start our Webasto heater near one. Not nearly as offensive as a generator, but we consider it would be disrespectful.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:37 PM   #56
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Yes, it can make a huge difference if you are small and don’t need hookups.

We often camp near tenters. No matter how cold it is, we will not start our Webasto heater near one. Not nearly as offensive as a generator, but we consider it would be disrespectful.
Bingo, the good for you. I'm 'We're all in it together', not 'Survival of the Fittest'. avanti, is now becoming suspicious. I'll Shut Up.
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:12 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Over many years we had many of our own noise offenders in our RVs. Onan generator is on the top of the list. Just below its obnoxious noise level were Espar D5 furnace for the water heater and a little better Suburban water heater, both sound like jet engine especially when cold. D5 gets a little better when warm but at start it is obnoxious.

My Espar D2 heater is also loud but only at high level and cold. I can run it overnight if it runs steady during very cold nights.

And, yes, we don’t have nor had any outside speakers.

If I would choose to walk on a bleeding edge of a new gadgetry I would walk on silent devices.

There is no technological wall preventing us to have a low power generator silently running 24/7.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:19 PM   #58
Platinum Member

Based on my experience I would say that a “noisy campground” is very rare.
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 03:42 AM   #59

I was camped at Itasca State park and the party directly across from me was playing their music excessively loud. I got my trumpet out to practice and used a practice mute which reduced the sound to a whisper within in 6 feet and inaudible beyond that. In a few minutes my neighbors turned their noise way down. I think they wanted to hear me better.
K0ELW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 10:22 PM   #60
Platinum Member

I have to say you're going to run into noise sometimes. What I really hate is smoke from campfires. We try to get a campsite on the edge of the campground, and sometimes that works, depending on the wind direction. But most campers consider a fire, no matter how polluting, to be an essential part of camping, so even if there is an atmospheric condition that keeps all the smoke close to the ground, they will light a fire.

I agree that the reservations requirement is a hassle. I remember when we started camping decades ago, we would just drive. Around 4 in the afternoon, we'd get out the old Woodall's and call ahead to find a campsite, without any worry of them being full. It allowed a lot more spontaneity and you didn't have to precisely predict where you'd be on a certain day. If you found an amazing spot, you could stay an extra day. For our next trip, we're going to try a hybrid approach. We'll have reservations for popular campgrounds on weekends, but not the ones in-between. That still means we have to be at certain places at certain times, but we have some flexibility in between and we don't have the expense and work required to reserve. One of my wife's pet peeves is the fees charged by a lot of the reservation systems, particularly if you're only staying one night. Our experience camping last year was that not that many campgrounds were full on weekdays, although it did mean forgoing primo sites in a particular campground.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote