Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2021, 04:21 PM   #1

Default Are there any mainstream Class Bs with a full size or large desk / working area?

Hi, I am a single person, professional, who has been on the market for awhile.

I have looked at 2 options, the Plateau and the Coachmen Galleria which has small desks when you swivel the driver seat around.

However, after debating with myself, I think I am looking for something more full sized.

For example, on the new Winnebago Ekko, there is a split twin bed in the back. One bed on each side. I'm looking for something where instead of the bed on one side, there is a desk, and the bed on the other side.

However, nothing exists. Specifically, I want somewhere to place my music production equipment.

Does anything exist in the class B segment?
HisAirness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Check out the floor plan and pics of Winnebago Travato 59G. If that doesn't work for you, I'm not sure what would.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:47 PM   #3

I actually realized I could have the desk underneath the bed in a Winnebago Revel. And just sleep above the 'music studio'. Would this be feasible ?
Old 01-09-2021, 04:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

You are trying to keep the bed down permanently while keeping that desk? On the coachmen in theory you have the optional Lagun table behind the driver seat. I would still rather work on the couch though
coss370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:59 PM   #5

Well, I just thought of it but, I'd lower the bed as much as it can without hitting any of the music equipment at night, and then during the day, raise it up all the way?
Old 01-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #6
Platinum Member

If you don’t mind sitting on the front seat, you can spin around and use the lagun table to fit your need. You can fit a big table top for your lagun. Meanwhile you can leave tour bed in place. For a single person, the coachmen might be a little bit too long though
coss370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:56 PM   #7
Platinum Member

With the Plateau FL, you have the semi-circular desk behind the driver's seat which swings round, and there is also a second bracket for the lagun table (other bracket in the rear lounge) so you could use that as supplemental workspace up front too.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:00 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I assume you have a certain amount of equipment that needs to be mounted permanently and connected to power. Do you need to have direct access to that equipment as you work, or is it controlled remotely from a laptop?

I know of no mass-market units with a work-camping set-up- it’s just too small a market niche- but I’ve seen a number of built-to-order rigs.

Your idea for the Revel is an interesting one. I don’t know if the bed can be secured and used at any height, or if there’s just an up and a down position. I think you’d have to look at one in person, make some measurements, and see what it can do. In my opinion the forward layout is rather inefficient for solo full-timing. I’d rather have more storage, a bigger bath, and/or a larger fridge than that second row bench seat.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:16 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I would think that any model that has twin beds either in back or in the center of the van with rear bath could very easily be converted to what you want.

Just remove the cushions and such and have a cabinet shop build out what you want in it's place, allowing for access it there are any components mounted in the underbed storage areas.

As long as you only need one bed, I think you will have lots of options that way.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:00 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I agree about converting a twin bed- lots more options there. Only drawback I see is seating. For long working hours at a computer, I'd want a good ergonomic chair. Maybe some kind of pedestal seat in the aisle between the beds? Maybe- depending on what's under the bed- cut out a footwell?
Old 01-10-2021, 03:39 PM   #11
Platinum Member

You may also want to think about power, soundproofing and shielding

many of the devices installed under beds such as inverters, chargers or a genny may throw off RF

- you'd likely be fine on shore power, such as campground, but suggest a filter and a UPS such as a sine wave tripplite to ensure power quality.

but may run into noise restrictions or noisy neighbors
if you have no live mics and monitor with cans, less a problem

on my twin rear bed layout I could envision a set up which would work- removing the mattress gives a 78 x 28" surface and a desk height could be built above that for minimal cost.
the lower area could be used for about 3 x 6/8 space racks- these will need shock mounting- a "frame" type rack with isolating donots under neath should work.
and a patch bay- as connections will be hard to reach, unless the rear of the "desk " is hinged and you can get in that way

everything would need to be secure- you need to plan for the unplannable - like a panic stop or collision

one of my Pals had his neck broken by an ampeg svt in a panic stop

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:23 PM   #12
Platinum Member

The Roadtrek sprinter versions with a fold down back seat have two side seats over the wheel wells . You could just pull the cushions off one side for equipment storage. They have a table that goes between the two sides for a work space. You could add a platform on the seat to bring your storage up to table height. With an extension to connect the platform to the table you could make it one large working surface.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:12 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisAirness View Post
Well, I just thought of it but, I'd lower the bed as much as it can without hitting any of the music equipment at night, and then during the day, raise it up all the way?
Yes, you could certainly do it in a Revel. You can also choose a permanent stopping point for the ved which is higher than the standard stop. Folks have posted on FB how to set that.

We are looking at a Winnebago Solis PX for a similar purpose. With the Murphy bed in its upright position, we’ve calculated that my husband can use his keyboard longitudinally on the passenger side, with a custom shelf. That “bench” there is only 23 inches high, and he plays at 28 inches. When he’s finished, he can put his keyboard back in the case and fold the custom shelf, then lower the bed. Or we can leave it there and sleep in the pop-top bed if we want. Our plan is to always strap everything down when the vehicle is moving.
DetroitRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:55 PM   #14

Default Storyteller Overland

Quote:

I have looked at 2 options, the Plateau and the Coachmen Galleria which has small desks when you swivel the driver seat around.

However, after debating with myself, I think I am looking for something more full sized.

For example, on the new Winnebago Ekko, there is a split twin bed in the back. One bed on each side. I'm looking for something where instead of the bed on one side, there is a desk, and the bed on the other side.

However, nothing exists. Specifically, I want somewhere to place my music production equipment.

Take a look at the Storyteller Overland vans. The bed in the back can be used as a large desk/work area. One owner in their Facebook group has done exactly what you’re talking about. She uses the desk as her mobile office area and sleeps on the GrooveLounge up front. The van is also equipped with the Volta system so plenty of power for your studio equipment. I drive a Plateau FL and the front lounge is convenient but definitely not big enough for studio equipment.
soLucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:29 PM   #15

Default Keep it simple

Perhaps try adding your own custom solution...something simple https://www.wayfair.com/commercial-b...-lseh1063.html
Svenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 11:06 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I made what you're describing from a 1994 PleasureWay MPL. It originally had four seats up front, so I took out the one behind the driver seat and replaced it with a small cabinet with a desk top. I used the 1/2" seat mount threads to hold it down, using a long eye bolt. The eye gave me a way to lock up expensive camera gear inside the cabinet.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:09 AM   #17
Platinum Member

One of Advanced RV's first Class B's had a spacious desk capable of accommodating an old fashion wood library chair with arms the owner supplied. That was circa 2013. You design or propose it, they will build it. But I would guess it is outside most people's budget. I've kicked around design ideas for a Class B office, but since I don't need it other than a laptop computer I haven't "advanced" it. My current design will accommodate a Lagun table and turn around driver's seat without crowding in a 144 WB Sprinter. The table can be as big as you desire but I think a portable tray TV size table will do, and if not, I can easily replace it.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:35 PM   #18
Gold Member

Quote:

As I shop around for my first RV, I also think of some sort of desk arrangement for a full size (AIO) computer, instead of a laptop on the typical table fore remote working

I haven't seen a stock Class B with such an arrangement. I think a nice config would be to find RV with a Murphy bed with fold out table that can be used as a desk when the bed is up. It folds into the bottom of the bed when the bed goes down. They make these for the home-size murphy beds - some with the computer display, etc folding into system also. A comfy folding chair, if such a thing exists, might be necessary

The Travato G comes to mind as a possible candidate. The irony for me, as a single person, is I am attracted to the G because as a solo traveler I can leave the rear bed down and use front living area, thus presenting a mental conflict. Plus, its out of my budget haha

I've seen other RVs with murphy beds. Perhaps someone knows of a good Class B candidate. Maybe this will inspire you: https://www.godownsize.com/rvs-with-murphy-beds/

Check out this Class C config. Its a 2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 24FW- https://youtu.be/u3woKAHBaE4
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote