Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2021, 01:58 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Here is a link to the latest Business Insider article on the ARV B-box (aka Class-C).

https://www.businessinsider.com/phot...printer-2021-9
Old 09-23-2021, 03:46 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Yes - you can get dual alternators on a Transit with the V-6 Eco-boost engine. But they are tied together by Ford's integration. You can take lots of amps from this setup but you will have to use a power conversion device to charge a lithium house battery if you plan to go that route.

Visited Embassy RV this summer where Terry Minix told me they order all their Transits with the dual alternators from Ford. They remove the second alternator and replace it with a Nations unit and Balmar regulator with charge profile for the Lithionics house battery. Terry said they do that because Ford could not offer them a way to isolate the second alternator. They still order the second alternator because all the coolant hoses for the radiator are routed to clear the second alternator on the Ford setup. It makes installing the Nations alternator very straight forward.

The Winnebago EKKO also uses a Balmar regulator to charge the Lithionics battery. I'm not sure what second alternator they use.
Winnebago uses a Balmar alternator on the EKKO, here are the details…

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/cha...-ekko-at-idle/
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:35 PM   #23
Platinum Member

That’s the Delco Remy 12V second alternator that is about twice the diameter of a Nations alternator. It is a good 10” + above the ground. My van has the same location and it is not that vulnerable. You couldn’t place one in a Promaster. There other option is the 48V Volta system which includes the second alternator and it is a much smaller alternator under the hood.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:24 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
. . . There other option is the 48V Volta system which includes the second alternator and it is a much smaller alternator under the hood.
I'm not sure ARV is using the 48V Volta system any longer. They have developed their own 48V system using the same Valance batteries they use in their 12V systems. That new ARV developed 48V system is featured in the B-box prototype which started this thread. The attached image was captured from the ARV B-box walkthrough video. It shows the 8 Valance batteries connected in a 4S2P configuration to give 48 volts. One series group of four batteries on the left and another the right combined in parallel. The two silver components I have marked with a red X in image are 48V to 12V SD-1000 DC-DC converters made by Mean Well, detailed in attached PDF document.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ARV48VCapture.jpg (203.1 KB, 11 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SD-1000-SPEC.PDF (102.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-26-2021, 03:32 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm not sure ARV is using the 48V Volta system any longer. They have developed their own 48V system using the same Valance batteries they use in their 12V systems. That new ARV developed 48V system is featured in the B-box prototype which started this thread. The attached image was captured from the ARV B-box walkthrough video. It shows the 8 Valance batteries connected in a 4S2P configuration to give 48 volts. One series group of four batteries on the left and another the right combined in parallel. The two silver components I have marked with a red X in image are 48V to 12V SD-1000 DC-DC converters made by Mean Well, detailed in attached PDF document.
I haven’t kept up with ARV’s development of the B-Box. I’ve gone from the extended body Sprinter they have compared the B-Box to but since I’ve gone down to the short Sprinter I’ve confirmed for myself that the extended body was too much and a B-Box though more practical inside it doesn’t accomplish much but just be a compromise and more so too much. Now that I’ve seen my brother’s Newmar 44 ft. Class A you just might want to throw in the towel and go all the way because a B-Box no matter what you call it is not a van Class B nor will you drive one and have it behave as one.So if you want to saddle yourself with compromising where you park and drive and how you drive you might as well go all the way. I mean it is about 10 to 1 decision of having a Class A or trailer over a B. Many have accepted that reality.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:54 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
The two silver components I have marked with a red X in image are 48V to 12V SD-1000 DC-DC converters made by Mean Well, detailed in attached PDF document.
It looks like these only handle 1000W. Is that enough? Perhaps i don't understand the spec. or how the unit is being used.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:17 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
It looks like these only handle 1000W. Is that enough? Perhaps i don't understand the spec. or how the unit is being used.
Each DC-DC converter provides 720W or 60A at 12VDC for total of 120A of available 12VDC power. That would be plenty for this particular ARV B-box design. The air-conditioner is a 48VDC unit, powered directly by the 48VDC battery pack. It also has a large Victron Quattro 5000W inverter/charger powered by the 48VDC battery pack.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:21 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Thanks Boxster. I didn't look closely enough to notice that there are two of them, and i didn't know the A/C and inverter were 48v. That's quite a setup - i want one.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:30 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Does anyone know if the dual pane windows are the same as the acrylic dual panes in the Travato?
Old 09-26-2021, 06:31 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
. . . I’ve gone from the extended body Sprinter they have compared the B-Box to but since I’ve gone down to the short Sprinter I’ve confirmed for myself that the extended body was too much and a B-Box though more practical inside it doesn’t accomplish much but just be a compromise and more so too much. . .
Thanks for confirming that a short Sprinter is working for you. I plan to do the same thing by replacing my Airstream Interstate 24 foot Sprinter with a short 19 foot Sprinter. I don't want a B-box, Class-C or Class-A.

Many of the things that ARV is doing with the B-box can be applied to a B-van, especially the electrical system design.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:41 PM   #31
Bud
Platinum Member

'ARV B-box' vs a 22 foot 'ARV B' concerning handling.

Has ARV commented with anything worth mentioning?

Thanks.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote