Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2020, 08:58 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Audio System Backup Camera Upgrade

Hello! I have a 2007 Pleasure Way Lexor TS on a Chevy 3500 chasis. I would like to have a new audio system and a backup camera installed. I'm looking at these:

Audio:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer...?skuId=6401086

Backup Camera:
https://oembackupcam.com/product/che...backup-camera/

Does anyone know if these two pieces would be compatible? And if the Third Brake Light Camera is a good idea? I've tried calling some installation companies, and RV shops but they are either extremely backed up, or are only taking appointments and don't answer the phones.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
IWUGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I use a wireless camera from Amazon $70

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the camera ( removed from plate bracket) mounted center of my 3rd brake light- it's a good angle.
Run wiring for power down the rt side door weather seal into taillight housing

Been on there over 4 years

some owners wire to taillights to monitor a trailer- I am wired to back up lights

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:15 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Wow, that would sure save a lot of install headaches and $$. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I am cheep*, my posts reflect that.
I've replied to your other posts today
cheers, Mike

* except for tires, shocks, motor oil/filters etc
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:00 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I went through 2 of the inexpensive wireless systems. Got 2 to 3 years out of each before they died. I did install a wireless camera in my in-laws van and it is going strong after 4 years now. But their van is garaged so that helps.

So I spent $500-600 to get a nice wired system installed. Since you also want an audio system then that is what I suggest.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:45 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I installed an ATOTO A6 double din stereo in my 2012 Roadtrek 190P on a Chevy 3500 Express. It runs Android auto and has a camera jack in the rear. I easily connected the existing Roadtrek camera. The A6 is about $100 cheaper than the Pioneer.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:49 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Thanks! Yes, I do kind of want the audio portion as much as the camera. More for navigation and phone integration, since all of my music is digital.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:52 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
I installed an ATOTO A6 double din stereo in my 2012 Roadtrek 190P on a Chevy 3500 Express. It runs Android auto and has a camera jack in the rear. I easily connected the existing Roadtrek camera. The A6 is about $100 cheaper than the Pioneer.
I will definitely look that up. Would you trust a place like Best Buy to install it or should I find either an RV dealer or more seasoned car audio shop? I'm not good at installing myself.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:59 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I would trust Best Buy, but I don't know if they would install a stereo that you didn't buy from them. I personally wouldn't go to an RV dealer for the install. At $125/hour, I can find better things to do with my money! I installed the stereo myself. There are plenty of how to videos on YouTube. The A6 has Bluetooth, wifi and plug in connections to hook up your phone to. You may be able to connect a wireless camera to it.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:03 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWUGrad View Post
I will definitely look that up. Would you trust a place like Best Buy to install it or should I find either an RV dealer or more seasoned car audio shop? I'm not good at installing myself.
Best Buy (BB) installed an alarm system in my Roadtrek 9 years ago: no problems. I had local shop do the receiver/camera install on the Roadtrek and a Camry. Had a few minor issues that they quickly fixed. Read reviews for your local BB and audio shops. I would lean towards the local shop if it has good reviews. Talk to the manager to get a feel for them. I was sold after talking to my local audio shop. Manager knew his stuff and took care of my issues. Not sure it would have gone that way at BB.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:17 AM   #11
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
I would trust Best Buy, but I don't know if they would install a stereo that you didn't buy from them. I personally wouldn't go to an RV dealer for the install. At $125/hour, I can find better things to do with my money! I installed the stereo myself. There are plenty of how to videos on YouTube. The A6 has Bluetooth, wifi and plug in connections to hook up your phone to. You may be able to connect a wireless camera to it.
I've got my eye on a Pioneer model there and they are offering free installation at the moment. Could be the way to go. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2020, 02:18 AM   #12
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Best Buy (BB) installed an alarm system in my Roadtrek 9 years ago: no problems. I had local shop do the receiver/camera install on the Roadtrek and a Camry. Had a few minor issues that they quickly fixed. Read reviews for your local BB and audio shops. I would lean towards the local shop if it has good reviews. Talk to the manager to get a feel for them. I was sold after talking to my local audio shop. Manager knew his stuff and took care of my issues. Not sure it would have gone that way at BB.
Great advice, thanks. Now I'm also thinking about an alarm system LOL.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:30 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWUGrad View Post
I've got my eye on a Pioneer model there and they are offering free installation at the moment. Could be the way to go. Thanks!
That's why I got the alarm from BB; free install with lifetime install warranty. I don't know why I did not check on BB audio/camera systems. If they have a good price with free install and warranty and they have good reviews then should be good. Do a compare with local audio shop. They may price match.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #14
Silver Member

Who is installing your Pioneer? Thanks
terance13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #15
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terance13 View Post
Who is installing your Pioneer? Thanks
Unfortunately, no one yet. I can't get an appointment with any of my local places. I have an appointment at Best Buy on Sep 12, just to meet with someone to talk about what I want done. Then, could be another three weeks to actually get it done. My local audio shops are either closed due to Covid, or so slammed that you can't get in.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:32 AM   #16
Bronze Member

Yesterday I had a chat with Crutchfield about a Sony XAV-AX5000 going in a 2018 Carado Banff (Promaster). Right now the Banff has no back up camera and the basic Ram AM/FM/MP3 single DIN radio. I plan to add a Rostra back from Bob's Automotive Mirrors And More because I have seen on Promaster forum posts about the Rostra camera and simple, easy and successful installs. Archer at Crutchfield was very helpful, he said the Sony is good because compatible with virtually any aftermarket backup camera that uses a yellow video RCA cable. I plan to spend the extra $25 and have Crutchfield make a plug n plan wire harness for my Promaster. The reviews about the Sony consistently said the installation is rather easy with the Crutchfield vehicle specific instructions. Also they supply the extra items you need for installation.

I originally planned to go to Best Buy with a "free" installation but they need at extra $200 in parts on top of the cost of the stereo and one location told me they would not install a back up camera in a finished campervan. Oh well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Backup-Came...g/153915707555
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV...AV-AX5000.html
Old 09-06-2020, 10:42 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB-2006 T4R View Post
Yesterday I had a chat with Crutchfield about a Sony XAV-AX5000 going in a 2018 Carado Banff (Promaster). Right now the Banff has no back up camera and the basic Ram AM/FM/MP3 single DIN radio. I plan to add a Rostra back from Bob's Automotive Mirrors And More because I have seen on Promaster forum posts about the Rostra camera and simple, easy and successful installs. Archer at Crutchfield was very helpful, he said the Sony is good because compatible with virtually any aftermarket backup camera that uses a yellow video RCA cable. I plan to spend the extra $25 and have Crutchfield make a plug n plan wire harness for my Promaster. The reviews about the Sony consistently said the installation is rather easy with the Crutchfield vehicle specific instructions. Also they supply the extra items you need for installation.

I originally planned to go to Best Buy with a "free" installation but they need at extra $200 in parts on top of the cost of the stereo and one location told me they would not install a back up camera in a finished campervan. Oh well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Backup-Came...g/153915707555
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV...AV-AX5000.html
Thanks! I’ll certainly check that out. I canceled my BB appointment because, just what you said. I knew when they saw the vehicle they’d say no. I did mange to find a local shop that a friend recommended to look at it and he thinks for sure he can get it done.