Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Auto Mechanics and Class Bs

The mechanic that has worked on my 1999 Roadtrek 170 for the last few years has decided that he has had enough with crawling around under Class B's -- a regular lift cannot accommodate my Roadtrek because the tanks cover the jack points so you have to use jack stands. How do others with relatively small RVs like mine get them serviced? Do you have a mechanic with a drive-on lift? Or do you go to RV shops? Are the RV shops much more expensive?
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have oil changes done at a pit oil change service. Easy drive in, drive out. My mechanic has a drive-on lift, but until my recent 3" lift, I had to always remind them to use boards at the beginning of the lift to keep the underside from dragging. It's amazing what a world opened up to me after the lift. I can now slide under and see it all!

I once went to a local Chevy dealer to ask about routine service (nothing behind the cab - just the front which is all factory standard). They said they couldn't do any service on my van because their lift was limited to 10,000lbs. I said fine, it's under 9600lbs. Then they said they couldn't lift anything over 10 feet height. I said fine, it's under 9ft 5". Then they told me they still couldn't work on it. I left as fast as I could.

I went to another Chevy dealer and they had no objections doing 50,000 mile fluid flushes.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:56 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I'm a DIY hobbyist with ASE certs.

I have a chev 3500, turning the wheels to the right, I can reach in and loosen the drain, and replace the oil filter. rolling up on my levellers 2" makes even easier.

There are plenty of secure places for jackstands underneath which I have used to replace shocks- front easy, rear a bugger due to "RV stuff"

when my tires were done at discount tire, they used 4 floor jacks to lift the van

always call ahead and say "my thing is this high and weighs this much", they'll tell you to come or go away

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:46 AM   #4
Platinum Member

My local garage's drive-on lift handles my 2012 "stock ground clearance" Chevy 3500 190-Ranger. No doubt, it is a close fit, but it has been driven on to the lift for several years without any problem. They also service my Onan generator as required, which is really cool since I have difficulty spelling "DIY" ... lol.

They are a mid-sized, somewhat more expensive independent garage that provides very professional service and excellent warranty protection term on parts. Mechanic turnover is very low, which for me suggests a healthy work and employment environment.

I avoid Chevy dealers unless there is no other option, e.g. road trip incident.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:02 AM   #5
Bronze Member

I take my unit to Ford Dealers. They put it on what they call the “Alignment Lift”. The lift has 4 modular jacks that the mechanic can precisely position under each wheel. Ford has a service that they call “The Works” it is an oil change, tire rotation and inspection for $49.99. Ford dealers are nationwide and I have used “The Works” service locally and while driving across U.S.A. and Canada.

Wandering Wes
2010 Pleasure-way Excel TS
Never a problem, Sometimes a challenge, Always an adventure
Wandering Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:47 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Wes View Post
I take my unit to Ford Dealers. They put it on what they call the “Alignment Lift”. The lift has 4 modular jacks that the mechanic can precisely position under each wheel. Ford has a service that they call “The Works” it is an oil change, tire rotation and inspection for $49.99. Ford dealers are nationwide and I have used “The Works” service locally and while driving across U.S.A. and Canada.

Wandering Wes
2010 Pleasure-way Excel TS
Never a problem, Sometimes a challenge, Always an adventure
Same here... Mine is a Transit, any dealer who sells Transits can service it. I do "The Works" as well, but they don't rotate the tires on mine because it is a dually. They don't recommend rotation on duallies, and don't cover them under that service, because a proper rotation requires unmounting and remounting the tires.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:00 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I am very lucky and I guess mine must be an unusual situation. I have gone to the same locally owned independent tire and auto service company for literally forty years. They have eight regular bays and one rv/truck bay that they use for both my Bs and small Cs I have had over the years. Same family ownership since it was started over fifty years ago. Really good and reliable people.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:27 PM   #8
Bronze Member

I work on mine. 3 ton floor jack, 2x6 ton floor jacks, or 2 16000lb RINO ramps. I'm 57 now, but enjoy turning wrenches.
Frumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:27 PM   #9
otr
Gold Member

Default 2000 rt 190v

I have an amazing local mechanic who while not a Dodge fan, has accomplished amazing trouble shooting with past ECM issues, this said finding an excellent local mechanic and establishing a good relationship is key.
We recently had a breakdown on I91 near Brattleboro, VT. AAA refused to tow us. We were luck AAA refused the tow as the garage which finally came to our rescue was a great local garage with an excellent diagnostician.
Try looking for a local garage online with hundreds of reviews and as claose to a 5 star as you can, then hope for luck!
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:06 PM   #10
Gold Member

Default Oil change and tire rotation etc.

I have found that larger Dodge dealers especially with trucks and vans have the best lifts for all the jobs including suspension. The Dodge two dealers go to in Florida have the lifts and are reasonable for service. This week I had oil and rotation for $85 plus extra for synthetic oil compared to RV dealers. Camping World has all the lifts and some discount with Good Sam.

My theory is to have easy work done on camping days during the week, near the RV park I am staying along the way. I live in the Keys and everything is far away. LOL

Come visit spend your money and drink. Be over charged, and don't come down on Saturdays. LOL
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:36 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife View Post
Come visit spend your money and drink. Be over charged, and don't come down on Saturdays. LOL
You don't sugar-coat things.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote