Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Awesome things - Class B related

I like the http://1000awesomethings.com/ blog / concept. It is inspirational and was a brilliant idea created by Neil Pasricha. Maybe we can get a topic going here about Awesome Things related in some way to Class B use.

Here's one:

Camper vans aren't that easy to clean when bug covered from a long trip. It is awesome when you get a hard driving rain on a trip that washes the dried up bugs off for you.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Awesome things - Class B related

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I like the http://1000awesomethings.com/ blog / concept. It is inspirational and was a brilliant idea created by Neil Pasricha. Maybe we can get a topic going here about Awesome Things related in some way to Class B use.

Here's one:

Camper vans aren't that easy to clean when bug covered from a long trip. It is awesome when you get a hard driving rain on a trip that washes the dried up bugs off for you.

How about driving all day in the wind and traffic, waiting longer than you should to stop, and then going into the Park that you know is going to you in the no electric section 5 miles from the bathrooms because it is so late, and find out a primo spot just opened up and you get it.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Yup, that's awesome.

I have two awesome campground tales to tell from this month. Some campgrounds start shutting down anytime after Labor Day in these northern climes. By October - just a guess - maybe 50% are closed. So we're out enjoying our fall tour of the Gaspe region and we arrive in a town named Bonaventure. The waterfront municipal campground was closed but the wise managers of Bonaventure left the gates open so that end-of-season travelers like us could overnight. For us, this free night was a perfect excuse to go out for dinner and later dessert in town. No doubt we spent double what campsite would have cost We met a couple in a small 21' Class C that were visiting from Germany who were also thrilled by the towns generosity. It is a beautiful place by the way. Pier, lighthouse, beach, sunset.....

A few days later we cut across the Peninsula knowing that we could always head to Bonaventure (50 mile detour) if we couldn't find a place to stay on the current route. We arrived at a campground in New Richmond that had closed for the season but we called anyway and the owner asked where we were. We were parked right there so he came outside gave us a nice full hookup spot with wifi for $20. We had an end site facing the river. It was awesome that he let us in.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

A great thing about a Class B van is that it is also useful to transport larger item that won't fit in a car.

In Summer 2012 we brought home 6 fruit trees in our van. I had to trim the heights down so they would fit inside. Two of the trees were peach. Near the end of this past summer we had bumper crop of peaches from these two (still small) trees. The little trees were bent over with the weight. So many peaches that we were giving some away. The peaches led to many interesting conversations with neighbors as they hadn't heard of peaches growing in this region. Two neighbors want to plant the same peach trees! We were given neighborhood grown vegetables.

All this happened because we saw the fruit trees on sale and could fit them in the B van.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #5

Hi, I bought a peach tree for here in Long Island NY. I have hadit for 2 years and got a lot of peaches I could not eat. Peaches seem to be very sensitive to a fungus called leaf curl. I have been spraying a copper solution in fall and spring and seen to be winning the battle. Might not be a bad idea to do some preventive care if you have a peach tree. Hopefully next year for me will be a good crop. Cannot eat peaches if tree gets leaf curl.
seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Yes, the two trees had leaf curl this past Spring. The trees are small so I pinched off most of the affected leaves as I saw them and then sprayed a copper solution. It was a relief to see the leaves come back healthy. Thanks for the reminder - I should spray them now and again next Spring.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #7
Rok
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog
Hi, I bought a peach tree for here in Long Island NY. I have hadit for 2 years and got a lot of peaches I could not eat. Peaches seem to be very sensitive to a fungus called leaf curl. I have been spraying a copper solution in fall and spring and seen to be winning the battle. Might not be a bad idea to do some preventive care if you have a peach tree. Hopefully next year for me will be a good crop. Cannot eat peaches if tree gets leaf curl.
We had the same problem here in Seattle with a peach-plum tree. (The fruit was more like peaches than plums, though.) One year we got a wonderful crop of sweet delicious peaches. The next four we got red curly leaves and all the fruit dropped off. We tried the copper spray stuff and it didn't work.

We finally gave up and conceded that we lost the battle. We had the tree cut down this year .

............Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote