Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2021, 04:28 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default awning install on Roadtrek

I recently bought a Roadtrek (2006) where the owner had removed the awning to reapply caulk to the seam between the roof and the van. Wondering about the best strategy to reattach (or have an auto body place do it). The awning was held on with rivets and, it looks like, some sort of silicone glue. The original rivets are ruined and there's no way to review them, so I'm thinking drill new holes in the awning and brackets and reattach with either brackets or screws. Anybody ever done this, and anyone know what kind of glue (if it was a glue) was used in addition to the brackets?
alwechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:29 PM   #2
Silver Member

Sorry, I meant "remove," not "review."
alwechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:37 PM   #3
Bud
Platinum Member

With my 05/04 190P the brackets are riveted to the van, No glue - only rivets. My neighbor assisted me, or me him. Put something in the existing holes to measure the depth, rivets needed. I don't think I would have found them locally, needed to order them. There are also spacers used with 2 of the brackets as I recall since the top is not flat, curved instead.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:33 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Youtube video on awning install.

https://youtu.be/NkSRG6ARWMY
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:39 AM   #5

The factory rivets once pulled out of fiberglass usually leaves the holes enlarged and no longer suitable for 3/16 rivets.

I replaced my pulled out rivets on front and rear brackets with 1/4" galvanized bolts with nuts and penny washers on the inside. Access is gained at the front by removing liner panel and the rear by cutting a circular access hole in crack wall of locker. Just always use your awning braces attached to the vehicle. Failure to do so can severely damage fiberglass roof should the wind catch the awning.
Overthehorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:25 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Default awning re-attached

just finished that job tonite.....the front mounting needed love after a storm & hasty retreat a couple of weeks ago....been on thin ice for some time now, so....removed the awning to find (2) 1/4 non stainless lag bolts at the top of the front mounting plate which is a short section of exrtruded aluminum....drilled the (2) lower rivets, removed the rusted lags, cleaned/sanded/acetoned all & back together it went. as follows: the wood inside the roof was just barely good enough to allow a 5/16-18 tap to run into the existing lag holes.....at assembly, I used 5/16 SS button head hex bolts into the wood after a generous dip in West System 105 which was also applied to the back of the extruded aluminum plate...I'd previously drill (2) more rivet holes in the aluminum plate & 2 more thru the fiberglass roof....total: 4 rivets, 2 bolts & epoxy to the roof....a day couple days later, the aluminum plate got as much 3M 5300 (white) as I could get on it & along side the front edge of the aluminum plate, I'd removed the pin stripping for about 3/8" wide along the edge of the aluminum plate, then 100 grit sanded everything before the 5200.....dropped the awning back down onto the original middle & rear mounting plates, aligned the rivet holes & set new rivets, adding a new hole in the back mounting plate just to keep its' bro company & used a wood spring slat between the awning & the floor of a loft along my shops' outer walls.....done & I dare it to threaten me again!!
gpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:28 AM   #7
Bronze Member

OOPS!....taking about a 1998 RT Versatile 200 we've owned for 17 years now....it's a project I enjoy making changes to.
gpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #8

Greetings!

We had a Carefree of Colorado awning on our 99 Winnebago Rialta. We liked it and I'd buy one from them again.

When we bought our 06 Winnebago View a few years ago the awning had been removed by the previous owner when it ripped in a wind storm and they didn't know they could just replace the torn fabric.

We wanted to have an awning again so I did some searching and eventually a friend turned me on to an open-box sale at Fiamma after the tragic fire at their Orlando facility. We got a 3 meter long (~10ft) F45s for less than $800 delivered.

It fit right on the existing brackets. You may have to purchase installation brackets separately. Read the documentation carefully.

Echo the comments on Shady Boy. My brother is considering a fiberglass egg camper and I would recommend a Shady Boy to him to minimize weight.

Happy Trails in 2021!

Paul and Christine
NW Florida, USA
Polo is offline   Reply With Quote