Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Who did your build Hein?
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:23 PM   #22
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Who did your build Hein?
Our van was purchased used and it came with interior panels and a few LED lights installed by Van Specialties. We had air suspension installed, purchased the futon, loaded up the cooler and used it that way for the summer. In the fall, we stripped out the interior and proceeded with the build.

I did all the design and CAD work with input/verification from my daughter who is an Architect. I CNC machined, assembled, finished and installed all the interior walls and cabinets. Our vendors manufactured the sheetmetal and welded components based on my CAD files. The whole project took about 1 year.

If you have time to read 80+ pages; please visit our build thread over at the Sprinter-Source: 2010 3500 RV build - Sprinter-Forum
Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:48 PM   #23
Platinum Member

I've always wandered why converters did not use futon bed/sofa designs instead of those bench sofas with the loose uncomfortable back bolsters.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:31 PM   #24
Bronze Member

One of the best features of our futon is a fold out platform/table. It's not a dinette but does the trick for a casual meal in the van. It's great for wine & cheese while gazing out the open slider.

The futon is obviously not intended for use while driving. I added eye bolts to the frame and it is strapped to the OEM cargo tie downs.

Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #25
Platinum Member

As you get older, health issues come and go ... and sometimes just come and don't go
Common among those issues are back problems, which my wife and I have to deal with on occasion. We prefer a King or Queen bed, but sometimes have to settle for twins. Having a layout that allows for flexibility is ideal. In our Roadtrek 200 Popular, we can have a front to rear King bed, front to rear twin beds, or sideways double bed. We have tried the sideways bed and it doesn't work for us. Also, no way do we want a front to back double bed, where you have to have to imitate a caterpillar to get out of bed.
As for the passenger or driver side galley, it makes no difference to us. We do most of our cooking outside. If we do use the galley, it's because the weather is really bad out and the side door will be closed anyway.
While an airy feel is nice, we don't really have it as maximum storage space is more important to us.
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:32 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJones View Post
As you get older, health issues come and go ... and sometimes just come and don't go
Common among those issues are back problems, which my wife and I have to deal with on occasion. We prefer a King or Queen bed, but sometimes have to settle for twins. Having a layout that allows for flexibility is ideal. In our Roadtrek 200 Popular, we can have a front to rear King bed, front to rear twin beds, or sideways double bed. We have tried the sideways bed and it doesn't work for us. Also, no way do we want a front to back double bed, where you have to have to imitate a caterpillar to get out of bed.
As for the passenger or driver side galley, it makes no difference to us. We do most of our cooking outside. If we do use the galley, it's because the weather is really bad out and the side door will be closed anyway.
While an airy feel is nice, we don't really have it as maximum storage space is more important to us.
X2 very well said! Us too.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:48 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hein View Post
Our van was purchased used and it came with interior panels and a few LED lights installed by Van Specialties. We had air suspension installed, purchased the futon, loaded up the cooler and used it that way for the summer. In the fall, we stripped out the interior and proceeded with the build.

I did all the design and CAD work with input/verification from my daughter who is an Architect. I CNC machined, assembled, finished and installed all the interior walls and cabinets. Our vendors manufactured the sheetmetal and welded components based on my CAD files. The whole project took about 1 year.

If you have time to read 80+ pages; please visit our build thread over at the Sprinter-Source: 2010 3500 RV build - Sprinter-Forum
Great story. Everyone has their own way to get there. Love to hear about it.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Just saw a video of the new WGO ERA 170A. I think I like this layout.

Has the twin/queen bed(s) in the back (no crawling in and out) and a small seat up front that converts into a bed if really needed (won't happen much with us).

Seems to be a good use of space. Not sure about other things such as how it is in cold weather for the tanks and lines etc.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:21 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Looks good- one caveat...we looked at a 2009 and 2010 era models- the quality of the workmanship was shockingly poor.

blind screws ( missing the support behind) rough wood cuts and etc were visible as easily as lifting cushions- can;t imagine what we couldn;t see.

i have been told that wgo is better now- but i'd look very very carefully at a unit before buying

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:54 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Looks good- one caveat...we looked at a 2009 and 2010 era models- the quality of the workmanship was shockingly poor.

blind screws ( missing the support behind) rough wood cuts and etc were visible as easily as lifting cushions- can;t imagine what we couldn;t see.

i have been told that wgo is better now- but i'd look very very carefully at a unit before buying

mike
I think times were rough for RV and boating in the U.S. in post 2008. WGO probably trying to get more 'efficient'.

Lots of oil-rich Albertans were buying up property and toys in America about then.

Dollar was at par and sunbelt real estate was worth 1/2 what it was at peak. Now they are selling, converting back to C$ and making 2-3x their money. Way more if it was leveraged with a loan.

Same with RV and boats. One of my brothers bought an almost new Yamaha jet boat for about 1/2 of retail from just south of the border a few years ago.

Oh how times change - now there are dealers that are hauling almost new HD pick up trucks from auction here and taking them to northern states for a quick sell.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:04 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hein View Post
One of the best features of our futon is a fold out platform/table. It's not a dinette but does the trick for a casual meal in the van. It's great for wine & cheese while gazing out the open slider.

The futon is obviously not intended for use while driving. I added eye bolts to the frame and it is strapped to the OEM cargo tie downs.

After reading a lot of your posts about your build I was overwhelmed and had to sit down and contemplate
Told my wife about it and she informed me that she wants a new RV not a stressed out husband cussing away in the shop every day (or a 1/2 drunk husband doing a sloppy job of it). I tend to agree with her...