Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2021, 05:41 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Barricade Sub Floor

Has anyone installed a sub floor system in their van. I was searching for marine plywood for my sub floor today and came across the Barricade insulated subfloor at the local building supply company and got to thinking why not? Wondering why you could not glue directly to metal floor after filling valleys with closed cell insulation and finish floor with top material of your choice.

The system is tongue and groove, 23.5” x 23.5” x 1” high panels

The sales material is as follows

BARRICADE Insulated Subfloor is the first and most important step towards creating a new living space as warm and comfortable as any other space in your home. BARRICADE is the one-step engineered subfloor solution that is specifically designed for basements. BARRICADE Insulated Subfloor combines high density Oriented Strand Board (OSB) and extruded polystyrene (XPS). With an R-Value of 3.2, BARRICADE Insulated Subfloor provides maximum insulation strength against the cold concrete. BARRICADE Subfloor Air Plus softens finished floors to cushion against the hard concrete. It/s sturdy confection supports over 6,600 pounds per square foot. BARRICADE Insulated Subfloor panels have been designed with patented Air Gap technology that helps protect against moisture, mold and mildew to keep basement floors dry, comfortable and cozy for years to come! XPS' closed-cell structure resists moisture and maintains R-value. BARRICADE Insulated Subfloor panels features tongue and groove design that snaps into place for fast and easy installation;

I cannot see why this would not work well. Please give me your comments and any concerns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 804D8F22-F101-4176-A0A1-EDCA05E898A7.jpeg (58.8 KB, 19 views)
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:42 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I used composite material for the floor, it was design for mobile application and it is used in RV and marine manufacturing. I combined a layer of Versatile material with MB factory corrugated plastic floor, no wood. It is a fiber-reinforced polyurethane foam - Thermo-Lite
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Just keep your gross vehicle weight in mind when adding improvements. Marine ply (3/4) is on the heavy side (imo). Barricade looks interesting. Let us know if you go that route.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:47 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Barricade Sub-floor

I decided to go with the Barricade sub-floor. I am filling the valleys with mini cell foam insulation and gluing the Barricade sub-floor to the metal floor with high strength adhesive. I am also offsetting each row of Barricade and putting a little bit of construction adhesive in each tongue and groove. It is giving me a completely level floor to which I plan to adhere Duraclic Xtra Rigid Plank flooring a 6 mm resilient flooring material. It makes for a 1” approximately insulated floor. I looked into composite floor boards and they are extremely difficult to get in Vancouver BC and just not available at a reasonable price.

I have located some 5/8 fibreglass honeycomb foam core board that I plan to make a small slide for a bed extension (my feet) in the side of the van. I currently only have one 4x8 sheet as that is all the local source was prepared to sell but I know there are 9 more sheets potentially available. I am going to see if I can buy another 2 sheets and then I can make most of my cabinets from this material as it is very strong and ultra light (about 35-40% of the weight of similar plywood). It will work great for the cabinets etc. but probably wouldn’t be good for a floor load. The Barricade product seems to be a much better floor substrate in this instance; I am not a big fan of OSB but sometimes needs must.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A4D50135-5A35-492C-B4C9-96D6244C1C3A.jpeg (102.7 KB, 10 views)
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote