Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default battery choice

In the market for a new engine battery for RoadTrek 190. What are your thoughts on choices? Obviously it'll be sitting for a while between uses. Worth price difference to buy platinum vs. gold at Advance Auto? What about paying $100 more for AGM -- will they really get double the life for that 40% upcharge? Thanks.
alwechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have no brand loyalty. It seems in the time between my battery purchases that brands consolidate, models change, and place of manufacture moves. To the point that I feel I'm not getting what I used to think I was getting.

So now I go mostly on price, warranty, and convenience of where I can get the warranty honored if I'm on the road when it goes out.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:44 PM   #3

I went with An Interstate Batteries AGM. Paid the extra for AGM. Very happy with it. The dealer said they supplied AGMs for all the batteries for the county ambulances and say they have lasted ~10+ years and still going.. we'll see... I let you know in about 7 years if mine lasts 10+ years. so far so good. For a Class B motorhome you should use a charger maintainer (also called a trickle charger) if you don't drive it often. I put a trickle charger on mine if I am not going to drive it within 10 days. AGMs like to be kept fully charged to last long.
Grif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:53 PM   #4
Platinum Member

SMART CHARGER, not a "trickle charger" as they have no upper charge cutoff that can boil away the electrolyte destroying the battery. I jave a no maintenance smart charger on a stored vehicle with 8 year old battery, and start the engine every six months to see if there are any changes....non so far.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:34 PM   #5

Agree with the Smart Charger. Meant to state that. All my chargers are "Smart" now.
Grif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:26 AM   #6
Silver Member

I personally fit group 31 truck batteries in my roadtreks as they provide lots of reserve power and are cheap to buy.you might have to modify your cables and hold downs but it is worth the effort.
Scottie409 is offline   Reply With Quote