Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2017, 01:50 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Been Asked About Your Class B?

Only had mine a couple of months (and driving it in winter) but had multiple people randomly come up and ask about the rig. Anyone else notice this phenomenon...?
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:02 AM   #2
Platinum Member

yes.

whenever I am at costco loading up..

or at the gas pumps

or when it is in the driveway and i am out front

universally admired.

except in the campground, I don;t have enough slide outs or lawn chairs

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:47 AM   #3
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=mkguitar;53541
universally admired.

Mike[/QUOTE]

You or the van..? Or the guitar skills?
Old 01-27-2017, 02:49 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Only everywhere I go...in traffic, parking lots, you name it.
briancummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:28 AM   #5
Site Team

Definitely.

Not as much as when I'm driving my DeLorean, though.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:50 AM   #6

We've been amazed at the number of people that comment on it and have even been willing to let some very nice people in it because that's how we decided on the ERA 70A because there were never any on the lot to see and we ran into a nice couple in
Coachella valley that invited us to see their unit and we decided right then that was the one we wanted so it's kind of like paying back a good deed.
traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:16 AM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

Most of my retiring friends are looking for a ClassB.
Not an A, not a C, but a B.

This is happening out of the blue, we just got together and found out we were planning the same thing.

Most of them have been around the World at least twice. They have been to everywhere except the nooks and cranies of North America.

ClassB is the way to do it.

I think we are observing the beginning of a huge phenomenon.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #8
Platinum Member

In a Promaster Travato.. Asked constantly.
Tours are part of the daily routine.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:13 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Only had mine a couple of months (and driving it in winter) but had multiple people randomly come up and ask about the rig. Anyone else notice this phenomenon...?
Yes I get stopped all the time at gas stations; I've give tours of the inside several times. In traffic, at stop lights, people will roll down their windows and "want to buy it from me". Also get questions and coments in shopping malls.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #10

Yep, us too. We have a Pleasure Way Ascent, people always want to see the inside. They can't believe all the features. Easy to drive too.
Big-Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
Silver Member

Yes , i thought it was strange at first. second day we had our new to us 97 Roadtrek. couple walked up to me at gas pumps and started asking questions so i said easier to just show you. They were very interested and thanked me for the tour.

But i thought that i wish i had saw 1 up close a couple of years ago . But never had the chance. So no problem with us showing ours everytime someone asks us . We might have gotten one alot earlier if i had been in one, instead of just pictures
Davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:56 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Sometimes people wait for me in parking lots until I come out of the store or restaurant or whatever, so that they can ask questions. Happened to me just last week as I was coming out of a training class. They'll pull up and park and just wait for as long as it takes. Curiosity.

On a more serious note, rubbernecking at our rig has led to three accidents thus far - all rear-enders. Ours is not a typical Class B - it has a large and unprecedented vaulted solar array above the roof; nobody has seen anything quite like it (including me). No personal injuries, but a lot of property damage. I don't think that my husband totally believed me about what was transpiring until he witnessed the third accident. We had retrieved the rig from storage and he was following me in his car. The woman in the lane next to me was rubbernecking out her side passenger window and she ran right into the guy in front of her. Bang.

Anyway, that potential is something I try to remain on the look-out for. If I see someone acting too erratically at the expense of their own safety, I will pull off the road.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:52 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
Yes , i thought it was strange at first. second day we had our new to us 97 Roadtrek. couple walked up to me at gas pumps and started asking questions so i said easier to just show you. They were very interested and thanked me for the tour.

But i thought that i wish i had saw 1 up close a couple of years ago . But never had the chance. So no problem with us showing ours everytime someone asks us . We might have gotten one alot earlier if i had been in one, instead of just pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Sometimes people wait for me in parking lots until I come out of the store or restaurant or whatever, so that they can ask questions. Happened to me just last week as I was coming out of a training class. They'll pull up and park and just wait for as long as it takes. Curiosity.

On a more serious note, rubbernecking at our rig has led to three accidents thus far - all rear-enders. Ours is not a typical Class B - it has a large and unprecedented vaulted solar array above the roof; nobody has seen anything quite like it (including me). No personal injuries, but a lot of property damage. I don't think that my husband totally believed me about what was transpiring until he witnessed the third accident. We had retrieved the rig from storage and he was following me in his car. The woman in the lane next to me was rubbernecking out her side passenger window and she ran right into the guy in front of her. Bang.

Anyway, that potential is something I try to remain on the look-out for. If I see someone acting too erratically at the expense of their own safety, I will pull off the road.
Sounds like a Hollywood script - a movie waiting to be made.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I am finding that many folks with the Promasters are asked questions and people want to look inside. I've never had a trip where I haven't been approached.

My theory is people know or assume that the price is a lot less and therefore think it's a more accessible/realistic possibility to own one.

Most people that talk to me are mid-fifties types, on the doorstep of being empty nesters. They aren't going to wait on retirement to get an RV, as with a B, you can easily do the weekend trip, and it's not so huge that you can't store it at home or justify as a second car.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:05 PM   #15
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I am finding that many folks with the Promasters are asked questions and people want to look inside. I've never had a trip where I haven't been approached.

My theory is people know or assume that the price is a lot less and therefore think it's a more accessible/realistic possibility to own one.

Most people that talk to me are mid-fifties types, on the doorstep of being empty nesters. They aren't going to wait on retirement to get an RV, as with a B, you can easily do the weekend trip, and it's not so huge that you can't store it at home or justify as a second car.
That was the biggest point for us at getting our van was the size and being able to park in someones driveway. and for getting in around small towns etc.
I also have a 2014 Promaster that i have set up as my work truck ( carpentry rolling work shop ) that at least every other week or so someone asks to see the inside setup. especially at the building suppily stores when picking up material
Davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:32 PM   #16
Silver Member

We have given tours of our van (Travato 59K) at almost every campground we visited - even at a dump station and scenic rest stop. Our postman also asked for a tour recently after dropping off a package at our house.
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:57 PM   #17
Platinum Member

The first time I opened the rear doors of my 136" PM at the lumberyard (during my DIY upfit), jaws dropped and the entire crew was called to see the wonder.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #18
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnomer View Post
the first time i opened the rear doors of my 136" pm at the lumberyard (during my diy upfit), jaws dropped and the entire crew was called to see the wonder.

+1
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:20 PM   #19
Platinum Member

I'm still in the research phase. The thing that I look for when I speak with someone about their RV is how it's aged with wear and tear. Almost everybody will say that they love their RV, but you can tell how well or how poorly something is constructed by how it's endured over the years.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:32 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
I'm still in the research phase. The thing that I look for when I speak with someone about their RV is how it's aged with wear and tear. Almost everybody will say that they love their RV, but you can tell how well or how poorly something is constructed by how it's endured over the years.
What's tough is accurately distinguishing "normal" wear and tear from owner abuse. Issues resulting from owner negligence shouldn't be charged to the builder.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote