Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2017, 06:16 AM   #1

Default Best B for Full Timing Couple?

My wife and I are considering full-timing in a B. Any opinions on which van is best for this purpose (volume producer models like Winnebago, etc). I like Advanced RV but that is just out of my price range!
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:48 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Winnebago Travato 59K or (if you can stomach the 16 month wait) Safari Condo Promaster XL Flex.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Since full-timing is a big commitment, perhaps you should consider buying a used B to: 1. make sure a B works for you, and 2. learn about what floorplan and features you may like. The nice thing about a B purchase is that you should be able to sell it for about what you paid for it, if you are a little patient and get one at a good price.

You can also use it while waiting for your new B to be built.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

B is not a good platform for full timing.
it is small even for 1 person
let alone two

Don't get the B with a convertible sofa-bed design
it looks good
but a sofa-bed is never comfortable for sitting
and worse for sleeping
the are designed for weekend trips
and the occasional week-long trips

my 2 cents
YMMV
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

In this instance, other opinions don't mean much. The only one that matters is yours.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
Platinum Member

That final choice has to be made by you and your wife. We can input those things that we like about our B's. Check out U-Tube, there are couples who full-time in a B - it can work, if you both want it and work well together. One couple made a memorable statement "when one person is working in the rear, don't crowd that tiny space....you can get there in a few minutes." Another mentioned that when they plan on buying something for their B, something has to leave. I suggest you take a look at www.roadtrekker.co - he offers some really sound advice and things to improve your B. Remember, there is a Walmart on every corner, so keep it minimal, build as you go! i really envy you and your spouse; do it and enjoy the journey, sites, memories. Ron
Old 06-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

What kind of full timing have you planned?

Stay in the city and work full time?

Retirement? Cross country touring?
Hoping from a campground to another campground?
Go to the desert and boondock?

Different travel plans might dictate the type of RV you should look at.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8928 View Post
My wife and I are considering full-timing in a B. Any opinions on which van is best for this purpose (volume producer models like Winnebago, etc). I like Advanced RV but that is just out of my price range!
Hello,
Suggest you look at a used Pleasureway plateau RB on Mercedes chassis. They were only made in 2012- 2013. The RB has a fixed bed which is slightly larger than a queen. Also ,nice wood doors partition the bed from coach for privacy or stealth camping. Has the best storage of any B that I know about. Front seats swivel ands forms lounge area with removable table. Built in credenza or work area On driver's side. One tv in front/ one in back. In the spirit of full disclosure, we have one for sale on this site/ rv trader . I have not seen anthor plan that is more suited for two people with some privacy. The Travato comes close but does not have as much storage. The front legroom is better than most. However, go see various models because every one is not the same. My email: okpete42@aol.com. Do your homework, nice way to see the country.
Pete
Ok pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:14 PM   #9

I want the ability to stay anywhere without having to make campgrounds a central focus. For instance, if I am in the city, a B allows pulling over on the street and staying for a night. If you do that in a B+ or larger, then I think harassment becomes more of a problem - and campgrounds become the destination instead of serendipity.

I think the same scenario applies in a lot of national forests with poor road quality and the ability to easily access small pull-outs overnight. You can just get into places on the spot that a larger RV cannot.

I've looked the Winnebago Era70M but the slideout is on the driver's side and that would not work in a city as it would extend out into traffic - assuming it would be ok the park there any way (you lose stealth).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

What kind of full timing have you planned?

Stay in the city and work full time?

Retirement? Cross country touring?
Hoping from a campground to another campground?
Go to the desert and boondock?

Different travel plans might dictate the type of RV you should look at.
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:59 AM   #10
Platinum Member

As mentioned above it all depends on you and how you want to use it. We made a list of how we wanted to use it and the options and setup (e.g. Normal generator or underhood? Propane or no propane? Fit in a regular spot or longer ok, dual zone layout or fixed bed?). Once you make those decisions and trade offs your van selections and manufacturers will become narrow pretty quickly.

Also it is possible to full time in a class B... heck people full time in VW popup vans and they are much smaller with less amenities. All depends on what works for you. Do you have experience with a class B? If not rent one for a week and see how it fits. We love our SS Agile for two people but other people might find it tight. All depends on what works for you and you can decide.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I would advise you to attend an major RV show that has all the MFG's displaying their B's. This would allow you to sit in and feel out every one. If you and your spouse are of average or smaller in size, a class B is doable. If not, and you will find out by sitting and moving around in them, you might find a compromise at the show.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

B is not a good platform for full timing.
it is small even for 1 person
let alone two

Don't get the B with a convertible sofa-bed design
it looks good
but a sofa-bed is never comfortable for sitting
and worse for sleeping
the are designed for weekend trips
and the occasional week-long trips

my 2 cents
YMMV
My 2 cents on beds.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #13
Platinum Member

It's all good advice. We have the Travato G and love it (though we are NOT fulltime). The B is probably NOT the most comfortable platform to Fulltime in, but if you want the versatility bad enough, many are happy with the compromise.There are just too many personal choices for someone to answer this for you. Size of Bed, Size of Bath, Work areas, Engine, Chassis, Power generation, cooking habits, your "camping" patterns, your budget, etc etc.. not to mention the interior aesthetic "feel" from one rig to the next.

I think MsNomer said it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
In this instance, other opinions don't mean much. The only one that matters is yours.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #14
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
My 2 cents on beds.

I believe Winnebago was so impressed with your dual bed that they copied it in their Travato 59K.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:39 AM   #15

Those two custom articulating beds probably cost more than an entire 59K. They look like an engineering and ergonomic masterpiece.
Billyboy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:20 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Default DIY

The mechanisms of this type can be purchased for about $375 each but would need some modifications. I looked into installing them since they are inexpensive but I don't have the room being <20' long and I would have to mount them as a permanent bed and loose versitiliy for storage and hauling big stuff.

For those who DIY and want them or know someone with a few tools:
https://www.amazon.com/Pragma-Pragma.../dp/B00ON8ZWTE
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:21 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I will not tell you not to full time in a b-although i wouldn't.

However if you've never been in a B-or done some traveling or camping in a B
I do think you are making a mistake.

You MUST try it out first. at least rent one for awhile.

Also are you a traveler or a camper. Do you know for sure?.

What types of RV's have you owned in the past
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #18
Platinum Member

It's very much an individual thing. My husband and I are still employed (him conventionally, me self-employed) and so we've never gone full-time in our Class B. I think that we COULD do it (with our 50-pound dog), at least for a period of time (we are mechanical hobbyists, and for that, we need our 800-square-foot garage/workshop).

But we could not do it in any stock Class B that I'm aware of. We've spent the past 2.5 years upfitting our rig with the things that we need for a more "normal" life on the road, nullifying some of the B's natural restrictions. Little things start counting for a lot when all you have is little things. I like to say that our rig keeps getting bigger and bigger because of the mods we've made.

The best thing for you to do is figure out exactly what your target lifestyle is, and then work backwards from that point to identify the specific rig needed to achieve it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #19
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
It's very much an individual thing.

The best thing for you to do is figure out exactly what your target lifestyle is, and then work backwards from that point to identify the specific rig needed to achieve it.
+1

Old 06-28-2017, 03:36 PM   #20
Platinum Member

We have the sofa bed with custom upholstery. It has slightly different foam sandwiches for the seating section and for the sleeping sections. In total close to 6” with harder foam on the bottom, softer upper layer, and some fiber batting covered with the perforated vinyl. Very comfortable for both, sitting and sleeping.

But, with our small 144" WB van we tend to keep it in the seating position which requires putting the bedding every day, change from the sofa to the bed positions is done in seconds with the air spring assisted lift, but making a bed takes longer. For extended stay we would prefer permanent bed which we had in our previous RVs, but longer staying was not our goal.

If I would do it over again I would reduce foam layers in lieu of much lighter Froli springs system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7053350.jpg (385.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg ZGR10542.jpg (476.8 KB, 8 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote