Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2021, 06:00 PM   #121
Bronze Member

Bought a R3800 in August. I bought the 120/12 volt Nobel from Citi Marine in Miami. Would rather had 12V only, but the one I bought was the only one they had in stock! All other suppliers were quoting 4-6 month delivery. Installation was easy with small addition of wood to the cabinet.
Got ready for an overnight trip by plugging in RT on a 95 + degree day. Fridge was at 45 degrees in less than 2 hours! I’m a happy camper!!
Old 10-18-2021, 06:10 PM   #122
Platinum Member

Talking

]Bought a R3800 in August. I bought the 120/12 volt Nobel from Citi Marine in Miami.

I think you meant to say NOVAKOOL vs Nobel - same experience here,love My NOVAKOOL R3800 - doesn't keep ice cream hard like the Isotherm or Vitrifrigo but hey,I shouldn't be eating Ice Cream anyway
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:00 PM   #123
Bronze Member

Meant to say 12/120 volt “model”. Haven’t tried ice cream yet but believe it would keep it firm,. When I was initially adjusting temperature control I accidentally had the fridge down to 29 degrees. This was on a 85-90 degree day in the sun!
Old 10-21-2021, 06:25 AM   #124
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanEd View Post
Meant to say 12/120 volt “model”. Haven’t tried ice cream yet but believe it would keep it firm,. When I was initially adjusting temperature control I accidentally had the fridge down to 29 degrees. This was on a 85-90 degree day in the sun!
Keeping icecream soft or rock hard is the difference between Novakool & Isotherm/Vitrifrigo/Truck Fridge of which all three are the same manufacturer.

In fact, in the facts section of their Manual, Novakool talk about why their units don't perform as well ONLY when it comes to ice cream.

I typically keep my fridge here in LA between 29-34, with a knob but not a digital setting there is a little guesswork.

Love my Novakool.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:16 AM   #125
Platinum Member

There actually is a good reason to NOT want to have your frig freeze ice cream rock hard which I assume would probably only apply to those who don't have the need to carry ice cream with them all the time.

The efficiency of the frig is directly related to the temperature at the evaporator coil heat exchanger, which in most smaller RV frigs is the freezer box. Build the frig for colder freezer box and rock hard ice cream and you lose efficiency.

I mentioned this property in the first discussion about the install of our new Isotherm Cruise 85 as I tested it with the freezer running at 6*F and then at 25*F and IIRC the difference was around 15% in power use with the same refrigerator section.

Novacool uses the gravity style condenser coil setup on the back of the frig so they are probably not as able to get them as cool reliably as the fan forced condenser/compressor/fan setup like Isotherm uses does and they compensate the freezer temp to get their efficiency closer to the other units to be competitive.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote