Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default best "paper" USA road atlas for a B?

Come January will see us in our B travelling from BC down the west coast and across the southern USA to Florida...and back again We travel "low tech",i.e. no GPS, camp primarily in parks and need to replace our outdated and worn road atlas. Noticed on the net that many are focused on the needs of big rigs. We would like another road atlas that lists parks, camping, points of interest,etc. Recommendations?
mamello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #2

Default Re: best "paper" USA road atlas for a B?

My wife and I bought a 2010 Rand McNally road map book (http://www.RandMcally.com) for $18.00 CDN. We either got it at Canadian Tire or Wallmart, i just forget. Its a real good informative map of all the USA and Canada and Mexico. We got it as we also plan to go south this winter. We plan to stop at tourist info places as we go along on our trip for local ideas.
Ches
PS---We will be in a Class B also. A 2009 PW Excel TS
Chester T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

If you're with CAA, go see what they've got. I got a Rand McNally map of the US and Canada as
part of a promo they had on back in January, I think. I also have their highway maps for the 4
corners of the USA. As far as parks and so on, CAA should have that sort of thing too. I'd google
parks and poi's by state along my route and save the info to my laptop. Then if I need the info
boot up and browse. Pretty much any web page you can view online, you can save as a file on your
computer. I use the ScreenGrab add-on in Mozilla Firefox. It's very easy to use, and saves the web
pages as *.png files which pretty much any pc can open and view.
Or, when you stop for gas or food, just ask somebody. We've found most locals to be very helpful
if you tell them what you're looking for.

p.s. As for points of interest, check out Don's Specialty Meats Pork Cracklins - They make a mean
road snack - pricey at $10/pound bag, but thats a lot of munch. They're on a frontage road about
10 miles west of Lafayette, Louisiana. You can see them from the Interstate (I-10). If pork cracklin
"ain't your thang", they have lots of other tasty looking fare. We did the opposite trip last March
from our end. South to Florida and the west to California and back. It's a great drive in March. If you
take I-10 from CA to FL there are some nice places to stop for an hour along the way. In Tuscon, AZ
there's Pima Air and Space Museum (aka "the Boneyard") where old military aircraft go to die. It's
interesting. There's also the NASA John C. Stennis jet propulsion and rest area on I-10 just inside
Mississippi as you leave Louisiana eastbound. There are also Baton Rouge and New Orleans, and
the beach area in Mobile, Alabama where the trees that Katrina clobbered are carved into wildlife
statues. Quite cool. And right nearby is the USS Alabama (BIG boat!) memorial park and museum.
So those are a few things we noticed on our way by. Another thing that might be useful, RBC has
bank machines in the US south and east (they may be called RBC Centura, and are in the Carolinas,
Florida, Virginia, Alabama, and Georgia). Handy, if you're an RBC client.
I took money out without inter-bank service charges on my bank card. Je suis tres frugale!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 02:18 AM   #4
Silver Member

Pick up a Rand McNally at Walmart when you hit the USA. Only $5.97 Probably about $20.00 or more here in Canada. At that price we replace ours every year.
dutchduo1990 is offline   Reply With Quote