Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2023, 02:56 PM   #1
Gold Member

Angry Beware Valets, mechanics and other drivers

I don't valet the van, but sometimes I do the car. It is usually returned with the radio blasting. (I almost never use the radio). I mention this because I recently had my van painted and re-striped. On our first trip I noticed a strange wind whistle/rushing wind / crunching noise. It appeared to come from the engine as it varied with engine speed, not road speed. I dropped the serpentine bet off and the noise stopped. The belt idler pulley bearing was worn so I replaced it and the belt tensioner pulley and also installed a new belt. The crunching noise was gone, but not the rushing wind and whistling. Due to my arthritis, bursitis and old-itis conditions I took it to a local mechanic to fix it. He diagnosed it as a bad water pump but could not work on it for at least six weeks. Tried to get my grandson to do it but he had other commitments. Finally did it myself just a few hours at a time. Did not fix the problem. After many hours I found the noise was coming from the rear view camera monitor screen attached to the mirror. It has a speaker system to hear verbal commands from behind the vehicle. I don't use that feature so had set its volume to zero. It seems someone at the paint shop had played with it and had the volume at 100%. Why did the noise stop when I removed the belt? ... Because it was electrical interference from the alternator about 3 feet away, which was not running with the belt removed . Would not have had this problem if alternator and monitor were further apart. WOULD NOT HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM IF PAINT SHOP GUY HAD NOT MEDDLED WITH IT
Old 05-28-2023, 09:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbourn3704 View Post
I don't valet the van, but sometimes I do the car. It is usually returned with the radio blasting. (I almost never use the radio). I mention this because I recently had my van painted and re-striped. On our first trip I noticed a strange wind whistle/rushing wind / crunching noise. It appeared to come from the engine as it varied with engine speed, not road speed. I dropped the serpentine bet off and the noise stopped. The belt idler pulley bearing was worn so I replaced it and the belt tensioner pulley and also installed a new belt. The crunching noise was gone, but not the rushing wind and whistling. Due to my arthritis, bursitis and old-itis conditions I took it to a local mechanic to fix it. He diagnosed it as a bad water pump but could not work on it for at least six weeks. Tried to get my grandson to do it but he had other commitments. Finally did it myself just a few hours at a time. Did not fix the problem. After many hours I found the noise was coming from the rear view camera monitor screen attached to the mirror. It has a speaker system to hear verbal commands from behind the vehicle. I don't use that feature so had set its volume to zero. It seems someone at the paint shop had played with it and had the volume at 100%. Why did the noise stop when I removed the belt? ... Because it was electrical interference from the alternator about 3 feet away, which was not running with the belt removed . Would not have had this problem if alternator and monitor were further apart. WOULD NOT HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM IF PAINT SHOP GUY HAD NOT MEDDLED WITH IT
I never let a valet park my car mite let the ahole park my bicycle naw not even that. once I was forced to either let the valet park the car or take a 3 block walk. I remember this bc the car got booted at a paid parking lot where I had the dam reciept taped to dardboard as instructed to do.

(I walked) next day just took subway) anyway I had a whole speech prepared don't rev engine, don't go over a speed bump more than 1mph, (long tube exhaust is very low less than 5") replace brake lock, don't readjust seat mirror ect. ect.

water pumps will have signs of staining around the weep hole, always check before swapping un needed parts exspecialley when a old original part is better than a new chinese POS part that will need replacing mulit times.

mechanics are low down scum I will engrave my mark on certain parts or paint it on where they won't dare swap there almost wornout part for my good part certain parts, thats another reason they keep your spare parts car for months at a time.
so when there done holding the car hostage you'll pay any amount to have wheels then when you come back the mechanic already knows whats wrong bc he created the problem.

so how did the paint turn out?
Old 05-28-2023, 09:34 PM   #3
Gold Member

Paint job was another fiasco. Lousy masking so paint where it was not supposed to be. Broke the roof vent cover. Stripes were not as I had ordered and took almost 9 months to get done. All this is part of the hazards of getting old. I used to do all this stuff myself, but the side effects of aging are getting to me. One thing is that I now appreciate myself even more