Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2022, 07:45 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Beyond 22D ford anyone?

I'm looking at used Coachmen Beyond 22D on a Ford Transit. AKA Crossfit? If you have/had one; How do you like? How about storage? PW and RT used to have outside storage in their rocker panels. I don't see that much anymore. I keep a lot of stuff in them. BBQ and coals, jumper cables, hoses, camp chairs.

Anyway, any thoughts will be respected.
Thanks.
Asphalt Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 08:21 PM   #2
Platinum Member

What year Beyond, and what year Transit chassis?

I have a 2019 Crossfit 22C on a 2017 chassis, but was looking at D's also. My biggest question on the D was storage. On the 'C' you have space behind the couch that can be creatively utilized in a variety of ways. I never really figured out how you'd store much in a D, other than in the aisleway in bins.

Other that storage, I'm mostly happy with the Crossfit, and certainly prefer it over other makes/models that I've seen & toured. Build quality was very good compared to peers, and other than a poorly vented fridge, it has held up well.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:29 PM   #3
SCS

We have a 2020 Beyond 22D and love it. The ability to open the rear doors with the screen makes it feel like a screened porch and/or extra room. The storage issue is correct, though. We travel with stuff in the aisle and move it out or around as necessary. The other disadvantage might be the lack of the motorized bed in the C, so that is the nightly chore. But wouldn't trade the rear access and view!
SCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 11:09 PM   #4
Silver Member

Thanks for your input. The newer the better within budget which is not over $100k. I know, I'm dreaming.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:07 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Addict View Post
Thanks for your input. The newer the better within budget which is not over $100k. I know, I'm dreaming.
Should be possible to get a non-lithium model. I see a few lightly used ones on RV Trader that are listed under $100k.

The significant options that you should watch for:

Induction stovetop or propane?

EcoBoost or the 3.7/3.5L?

Upgraded Ford infotainment (more steering wheel controls, better gauges and radio) or base infotainment with aftermarket radio?
Old 08-01-2022, 06:38 PM   #6
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
Should be possible to get a non-lithium model. I see a few lightly used ones on RV Trader that are listed under $100k.

The significant options that you should watch for:

Induction stovetop or propane?

EcoBoost or the 3.7/3.5L?

Upgraded Ford infotainment (more steering wheel controls, better gauges and radio) or base infotainment with aftermarket radio?
I'm looking at a 2019 Crossfit on RVTrader (no reply yet) and have a question for you if you know. Does the Nova Kool refer run on propane or just electric? It appears that the owner put in Lithium batteries and has an induction cooktop. I'm going to see another one tomorrow as I have yet to see one in person.
Thanks
Jim
Old 08-01-2022, 08:42 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Addict View Post
Does the Nova Kool refer run on propane or just electric?
The Nova Kool is a compressor refrigerator that runs on electricity only, either 12V battery or 120V shore power (if that part is still connected).

I added a lithium battery to mine also, the AGM's didn't keep up with the power consumption of the fridge.

Also - some came with an induction stovetop rather than propane.

--Mike
Old 08-04-2022, 06:10 PM   #8
Silver Member

So I looked at our first Ford Transit Beyond 22D eb. I really thought the Ford was my answer. However, I don't get why Ford misses on the cab. The space between the two seats is barely enough to walk through. My Chevy is twice as wide. That and the first thing I did was hit my head going from coach to cab. My wife was not impressed with her seat and the rail that sticks out so far she is afraid of cutting her ankle. Maybe that seat can be moved back 4-6 inches.
I liked a lot of things about the Beyond and was not fond of several others. Storage is a big one.
I guess I will keep looking. For now I'm going to keep the PW Lexor Chevy and keep hitting my head on the air conditioner.

I appreciate your replies.
Jim
Old 08-04-2022, 06:41 PM   #9
Platinum Member

The outside storage in the rocker panels is one of the reasons I bought my 2008 RT 210 popular. I don't know what we would do with out it and the though the back door garage.
I don't know where that space went?
Anyway good hunting
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:47 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomike View Post
The outside storage in the rocker panels is one of the reasons I bought my 2008 RT 210 popular. I don't know what we would do with out it and the though the back door garage.
Anyway good hunting
Yes, this is a big issue. I am struggling with it in our custom Transit build. As far as I can tell, NOBODY makes a prefab solution for rocker panel storage, at least for the Transit. Even ignoring the extra storage issue, such a space is very important for the efficient installation of a permanently-sealed macerator solution.

It just amazes me that with so many suppliers of aftermarket nerf bars and steps, it doesn't seem to have occurred to anybody to add the obvious storage compartment. ARV fabricates their own for the Sprinter, as did Great West Vans before them. It looks like I am going to have to do the same.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:30 PM   #11
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomike View Post
Anyway good hunting
I had a 2006 RT 210 for a year, another story on that. What I found was I took TOO much stuff I didn't need.
Never a happy medium.